Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

Got the big stick out to the range today. I got 30 in there and decided hey why not go ahead and try it. Guess what? It ran! Smooth as butter all 30 rounds. No I do not have a 13 coil spring, yet. When it came yesterday it had an 11 coil grams spring and follower, and I haven't gotten a chance to get one.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might not but with such a short spring and so little tension I'm thinking about life of the spring its a pretty stretched out 11 coil. So we will see. Also the fiberglass resin wasn't a bad idea I might very well do that. I was thinking of just installing one of my personal built +x round basepads wedges but that's a good idea.

Edited by george76904

You don't need a spacer in the extension. The follower only goes in there at max capacity, so the follower is under a lot of pressure against the last round.

Limited guns with .40 or 9mm mags have the same thing going on and I haven't heard of followers catching on the space in those.

Well, now that EAA gave us shade tree gunsmiths by doubling the prices of conversion kits, how about some horse trading? I have a Gold Team 9mm upper and I'd like a Stock II or Limited in 9mm, a long slide might fit the bill but you'll have to sweeten the pot a little. I also have some small frame stuff if you're interested.

IMG_20130924_054906_114_zps90a4ec55.jpg

IMG_20130924_053715_453_zps589208db.jpg

IMG_20130924_055118_527_zps3746753a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - while you are at it - make me one too :roflol: !!! Got a new Tanfo convert , one of my buddies saw my Limited , then he shot my Match Elite and now he just got a Match Elite in 40 -- he is never gonna want to shoot his da/sa SIG again LOL !

Looking for some feedback for a magwell for a Match in 9mm.

I've seen the versions out there for $120 that have to be welded or glued. Anyone seen anything else that might work a little better? Have a better means of attachement?

Edit; Google-fu has revealed that the above mentioned magwell is now up to $135

Edited by Birddog6424

My newer Match with a rail has an oblong hole in the frame under the grips where the previous owner bolted a Henning mag well which was just about a mm to the rear of where it should have been but worked fine. My buddy's older Match (no rail) is solid and a hole could be drilled to mount Henning's mag well. Which do you have? I though about welding the hole closed and re drilling my Match, but then just took it off and put it on my Hunter frame.

I tried to match up a magwell off a Limited, but it seemed to be further off than a millimeter. Once I aligned the bolt hole with the slot you mention under the grips, it was more like 4 or 5 centimeters gap. The magwell sat way too far forward.

I could have jerry rigged it on there by filing down the back of my grip. The hump back there kept it from even going on, but that still would have left it misaligned.

I'm guessing there simply aren't any products out there? A shame no one is making something that bolts on like the other Tanfoglios.

I tried to match up a magwell off a Limited, but it seemed to be further off than a millimeter. Once I aligned the bolt hole with the slot you mention under the grips, it was more like 4 or 5 centimeters gap. The magwell sat way too far forward.

I could have jerry rigged it on there by filing down the back of my grip. The hump back there kept it from even going on, but that still would have left it misaligned.

I'm guessing there simply aren't any products out there? A shame no one is making something that bolts on like the other Tanfoglios.

I realize this info could be useful in the Chop Shop, so I re posted it here:

Match frame on the left, Hunter frame on the right:

IMG_20131011_045734_685_zps26c4fe3d.jpg

Mag well bolted to the Match frame:

IMG_20131011_045827_196_zps546a94d5.jpg

You can see it's shifter back slightly:

IMG_20131011_045856_387_zps5cf657d6.jpg

Compared to the Hunter:

IMG_20131011_045943_676_zpsce056ca8.jpg

but it still works as intended:

IMG_20131011_045842_015_zps2685d736.jpg

I though about filling in the bottom of the hole in the back of the Match frame with weld and re drilling it a hair further forward so it would line up perfectly, but that's low on my priority list.

So for a while I've been kicking around the idea of a Tanfo Open upper with no holes. The idea was to use a Limited slide and a cone comp for a 2011 like a Brazos ThunderComp II; I traded my Gold Team upper for a 9mm Limited upper thinking it would be a slam dunk. Well maybe not that easy, but at least doable since the OD of a large frame barrel is .590" (15mm) and the OD of a 1911 bushing barrel is .575" so I would just have to turn it down a bit and cut a .575x40 thread.

I decided to go with the Dawson Awesome comp and ordered one. It wasn't until I had my Limited upper and cone comp in had that I saw the fatal error in my plan: the barrel of the Limited is .725" in diameter and the cone on the Dawson comp is .710" so it just rattles around in the hole (not so good for accuracy...). I checked with Bob Brazos and his uncut cone is the same: .710"; so much for that idea :angry2:

Luckily I had another idea locked, loaded and ready to go!: I have a small frame compensated upper from a 9x21 Witness Open gun I bought off GB with a custom cone comp (which sucks), unfortunately a small frame barrel has an OD of .550" (14mm), so it's too small to be threaded .575x40. Ah ha! fit a large frame barrel to the small frame slide (I've done it once before, swore I'd never do it again, but here I am!!!). Since the hole in the front of the slide was already hogged out for a cone comp, just a little grinding and the barrel slid right in. I put it on a frame and... ...nothing. The lugs would not unlock. I had this issue with the other barrel as large frame barrels are slightly taller in the lugs than small frame barrels, the last worked out by taking a little metal off the tops of the lugs, but no dice on this one. Upon closer examination I realized this one needed material taken not only from the tops of the lugs, but also the insides of the lugs... Not something I'm really equipped to do... So there I was, all ready to take a Dremel to my barrel when I remembered: I've got a brand new large frame long slide conversion just sitting at my FFL waiting to be picked up!

So all I need to do is open up the front of the slide to .710", turn down the barrel to .575", thread it .575x40, index the comp, blend it, and I'm good to go. But wait! the Dawson comp I bought comes with holes .355" in diameter and needs to be align reamed after install... I have no reamer... Luckily have a guy in GA I've been talking to about a custom comp for my CZ Open gun, what better easy little project to try him out on???

To be continued...

I have a brand new large frame long slide upper I'm about to use for a compensated top end and it seems like a waste to use a slide cut for the super sight when I'm not going to be using any sights so I though I would pose the question here: would anyone be interested in upgrading their Match 9mm slide with a new super sight slide for say $50?

I bought the bare frame from a friend who had it sitting the the closet for 15 years, the I scored the upper from EAA the morning of the price increase (they got me for 8%, then said "that went pretty well, let's go for 100%!)

Edited by kneelingatlas