Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I always go too fast on classifiers.............

charliedelta

2 hours ago, Boudreaux78 said:

If you slow down and focus on getting good shots, your speed will come along at the proper time. Plus your hit factor will be better with better hits.

If you slow down you may or may not get good hits, but your time is guaranteed to be slow.

Hard sight focus, run that sucker across the targets as agessively as you can, and grip the gun hard.

The two M-class production classifier runs I've managed recently have had:

8A 3C 1D

9A 3C

I wasted two years figuring out you really do shoot them like any other stage. Hits and time are both important, and you cannot sacrifice speed to accomplish accuracy - you have to learn to be accurate at speed.

Dont "shoot slow enough you know you'll shoot all A's." Shoot aggressively enough you know you will have a really good stage time, and watch the sights much harder than you usually do. And get your draw, turning draw, and reload times down as low as you possibly can.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2013 at 9:52 PM, charliedelta said:

...........I don't know why I do it. I has to be because of a competitive spirit, but it is not like moving up a class is really going to help me. It is better to be a high C rather than a low B. I go too fast & miss.

SLOW DOWN AND GET THE HITS!!!!

Uh oh did you just say slow down... haha

Ok, in all honesty, you probably know by now it's not about "slowing down" but about "doing what you need to do" to accomplish what you need/want to accomplish.

I still will lean on the side of fast/what I want instead of what I need to do.  Because I like doing it and it's fun.  And I already know I can shoot it the right way and make a grade, but that's not what I want.  The downside is that people who don't understand that I'm just having fun think that I'm sandbagging.  Good thing I don't shoot major matches (they aren't fun to me, too tiring), so I don't get many sandbagging comments because the local guys know that I don't care about classification and lean on having fun.  The point, is, YOU DO YOU!!! :)

Edited by blueorison

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2013 at 12:14 PM, kneelingatlas said:

I disagree. I don't think it's possible to go too fast, perhaps "when shooting classifiers I focus on speed and everything else goes to shit" would be a more appropriate title to this thread?

haha oh man that pretty much sums it up for me. I have a lot more practice to go before I get better and at least live fire practice is easier said than done where I live, I've only been shooting a year and have only done 4 or 5 classifiers so far and I'm a high D but when it comes to the actual match I'm usually in the top 1/3 give or take in production so It can really only get better from here at least I hope lol

16 hours ago, traingq said:

Treat the classier like you shoot a regular stage, you'll do a lot better.  It worked out for me very well after I started doing this.

Not sure about you guys but if my local matches had more short stages that were like classifiers this would be easier to do. It seems if a stage has less than 28 rounds people start moaning.

• 4 months later...

I did on my first IDPA classifier this year as well....shot it like a speed stage which was stupid.  Was the first shooter up too, so my adrenaline was up.  For crying out loud, the targets were 30 feet away...that's my warmup distance at the range!  I should have gotten all zeros (or close) if I didn't try to rush.  As it stands I still made Marksman, which is fair since I only started shooting competition a few months prior, but I just barely made it.  I know that if I went at what I now know is a comfortable pace, I would have done much better with still a solid time.

I think in general I need to plan better.

• 2 weeks later...

As I use to call them de-classifiers for myself... I think the biggest factor is staying calm under that beep and shoot The speed of your ability to get a sight picture. Easier said than done I know as I am guilty of it. When I just relax and don’t get in a big rush to yank the gun out of holster I’ll have a decent run on the classifier. Smooth is fast’er

• 1 month later...

My own journey with classifiers, especially my first ones, was wanting to shoot them too  precisely.  In this game there is definitely such a thing as being too accurate.  Obviously it slows you down.  It seems great to get all A's on a classifier, but guess what, that guy over there shot it much faster and almost had all A's with only one C and his hit factor is much, much higher.  He obviously can be plenty accurate while shooting quite fast.  Hmm, what has he figured out?  His grip?  The way he processes his visual input?  Whatever the case, he gave himself permission to shoot fast after building a solid technique that lets him get hits at that speed.

Is slowing down the answer for you?  I don't know, but it might be if your technique remains unchanged.   I would just say consider the approach of not slowing down but instead addressing your technique.  For sure you have to dry fire for a big part of your foundation.  And you have to train yourself how it feels to get hits on target at this speed you're shooting at -- exactly how you arrive at that, I don't know, but very likely there is a path involving live fire practice to get there.  Maybe you'll find you can shoot faster and get hits, or even that your current speed is nowhere near your potential speed.

For the shooter who has not experienced getting most or even all of the available points in a match, even if slowly, I would say perhaps the accuracy foundation is not yet there.  But an initial focus on accuracy isn't necessarily the golden path.  The people I'm aware of who made GM very fast (less than two years), pursued speed with tremendous energy, first and foremost.  One person I'm thinking of would get very frustrated and angry with his accuracy problems, and worked hard to correct that, and he did.  But his emphasis was on speed, first and foremost.

Everyone starts with their own preferences, strengths and weaknesses.  Improvement comes fast when weaknesses are turned into strengths.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2013 at 10:52 PM, charliedelta said:

It is better to be a high C rather than a low B.

I'm the opposite.... I think i'd rather be a low B.   My thought here is it pushes me to get out of the basement and start pushing to the next level.   If you are a high any class, then why are you loitering around.   Being at the bottom tends to push people mentally -- no one likes being last, even if it is in the GM class.

Plus, shooting a match and seeing folks that are in lower classes do better really makes me focus and do what it takes to get better.

Need to have goals and just sitting at the top of one class is ... just sitting.   Quit sand bagging and step up your game!     

Ok, now i need to take my own advice....