Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single-stack reload splits

motosapiens

I'm hoping most of the posts in the other thread are from limited shooters with bigazz magwells, but what about the poor singlestack guys? How fast is it feasible to reload a singlestack with a non-oversize magwell (such as the s&a, or the sti that is the same width as the grip)? How much faster is it with a dawson ice magwell?

I believe I truly suck at reloads after only shooting a singlestack gun for a couple months, but they are at least coming down. I had some in the 1.8-1.9 range (in between A hits at 10 yards) today, whereas 2 weeks ago they were consistently in the 2.1-2.3 range. I'm pretty sure I'm faster with my production cz, but I won't start shooting that again until october.

In my prime when there were only 2 divisions I could pull .9's all day with my SS. Now I am around 1.2-1.4. You can be as fast as any gun/magwell with practice. 1.8 is not bad and it looks like you are trending in the right direction. Keep it up and you will be pulling off 1.2's in no time.

Working with Steve Anderson's dry fire book got me down to 1.0s in live fire. Its funny but I actually reload my SS faster than my limited gun (which has the huge Dawson Ice magwell) and I think it is because I haven't put in the time in dry fire with the limited gun. Try to keep the gun up, and focus on the magwell. It doesn't need to drop below your normal firing stance for the reload.