Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gaming your Glock! - USPSA Production Legal Mods List

Moltke

There is only 1 way to know whether or not your gun is under / over the Production weight limit. Put in the parts and weigh the gun.

If you're really close and think that another scale might register it as overweight... play it safe and remove the parts.

This thread is a tutorial (a starting point) to get you interested in understanding the modifications that are legal / not legal for production on a Glock - it is not a one by one assessment of parts.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats important about changing parts and weighing the gun is that you need to make sure the whole sum of changes & modifications ALL fall under the weight limit and the answer will be unique to your gun (combination of parts).

There is a search function on the website available for specific questions related to part X, Y, or Z. Good luck modifying your pistol, if that is the only change you're making then you should probably be okay.

But there's only one way to know for sure, and that's weighing the gun. :)

• 2 weeks later...

What is the weight limit for production?

I read the whole thread and googled it, and didn't see anything except for something about adding 10-12oz for limited.

According to Wikipedia the unloaded weight is 22.92oz, so is this the limit?

G34 = 26oz with empty mag in the gun. So for Production, you can go +2 oz as stated earlier in the thread.

I have a steel guide rod in mine with Dawson Precision fixed sights and it weighs in at 26.8 oz.

I would like to try a tungsten guide rod but doubt that I could make weight. Its an expensive test if it doesn't work...

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't say that it was. But since this is a tutorial and I am new to the sport, I thought this would be the place to ask BUT seeing as how I was apparently wrong for asking, I'll go on my merry way.

I wouldn't quite "go your merry way"....this forum has been up and running for a LOOONG time...some topics are covered over, and over...and some of the 'old timers' get a little pissy when they have to repeat themselves.... as my baby girl like to say... "Waa"

I'll answer your question. Yes, I am running a Gen3 G34 with a captured 11 lbs tungsten guide rod...grip plug, extended striker, and KKM barrel. ALL of that comes in @ about 27.5 ozs. Soooo.... Legal for USPSA Production. A Tungsten guide rod is expensive... you just might not 'like' that much extra weight. You can buy the Stainless Steel in 11# and 13# for about the same price as one tungsten guide rod.

If you have the $60 invest in both....you may discover that a different weight bullet will require a different weighted guide rod spring ...

I personally have the SS & tungsten guide rods in 11#, 13#, and 15#. My fav - right now - is the 11# tung when using Xtreme 135gr RNFP.

Great info.

Will adding a SS guide rod with 13# recoil spring to a G34 put it over the weight limit for production class?

Also, anybody know of a titanium guide rod for a G34?

Try here. I have used their captured guide rods for years....

http://www.glockstore.com/stainless-steel-competition-recoil-spring-for-glocks?options=cart

http://www.glockstore.com/tungsten-competition-recoil-spring-for-glocks

• 3 months later...

Lone Wolf offers replacement Gen3 slides for the G34. Reading the rules, fitting a Lone Wolf Gen3 slide to a Gen4 frame would not result in a Production-legal G34.

Can someone confirm or refute this statement?

Thanks,

Chris

Since no Gen 4's have been made with Gen 3 slides, or vice versa - I don't believe you can mix Glock generations like that.

Also rule 21.3 states "same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for the model of that gun" and since the RSA ring is significantly different from Gen 3 to 4, externally visible and easily noticed... I don't think you'd get far with it.

http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf

Additionally, the LWD slides having front serrations are further out of factory spec and not Production legal.

I feel your pain, I still like to shot my stock carry gun in some competitions. But if you want to start gaming the game, I think people can go anywhere with replacement connector and striker spring, a nice set of sights, and some softer recoiling loads.

So $5 + $20 + $75 = $100 would turn a stock glock into a very competitive production gun in my opinion.

Edited by b1gcountry

Nobody offers a Production ready race gun with all these mods and frankly most choices should be hand picked by the individual end user. If you're shooting a Glock 17 and perform well, then don't change, shoot what you want to shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

So shooting my stock Glock 17 in production is not what I should be doing?

I thought that was the point of production?

How much would it cost to buy a "production ready race gun"?

NO. Those mods listed are everything you are able to do. What you should be doing up to you. Don't think that with every part you replace, you'll actually see a tangible benefit from it.

In reality(which is different then the advice you might get here) gear accounts for so little of the equation. You can and should shoot your 17 stock all day and you won't be any worse off for it.

In IPSC production, even a sight change is legal. My only advice to you right now is: sharpie out the white on your rear sight and take a file to deepen the rear notch a little. That way it dosent cut the bottom off the front white ball.

Regarding frame pins, directly from Amidon -

"Appendix D4 item 21.6 Exchange of minor external components, it states that pins may be placed with OFM or aftermarket."

So you can replace the frame pins but please keep in mind that Production weight limits are still in effect.

There is no competitive advantage to doing this but I guess if you wanted it for ease of maintenance then it could be nice?

Edited by Moltke

Regarding frame pins, directly from Amidon -

"Appendix D4 item 21.6 Exchange of minor external components, it states that pins may be placed with OFM or aftermarket."

So you can replace the frame pins but please keep in mind that Production weight limits are still in effect.

There is no competitive advantage to doing this but I guess if you wanted it for ease of maintenance then it could be nice?

Thank you very much the for into!

• 4 months later...