Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improve mind control with a breathing excercise

benos

I've been doing this at my weekly steel matches here in town, and it's deffinitely helped with my first stage jitters. I've cut my overall time by an average of 30 seconds per match, over previous years.

Impressive work!

And yes, at any time, displacing anxiety with calm awareness is goog thing. Or as Bhodidharma said, "Everything good has awareness for its root."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Definitely need to get back to doing this more often! Tonight while practicing reloads I realized just how badly my mind wanders!!!!! The moment it does..... Fumble!

:)

Indeed! Attention is without error.

So I know a big part of doing this game well is to allow the subconscious to do as much as possible and I struggle with this. I do a lot of things very consciously. Well tonight I was practicing reloads and they were going really well. Just seeing and doing, not thinking about it at all. Then on one reload, I saw the mag well and this thought popped into my mind "oh no, you didn't bring the gun in close enough". At that very moment I screwed up the reload. The gun wasn't too far away. I could see the mag well just fine but I messed it up anyways. And as I was fumbling the mag I realized that all the other ones I had done were subconscious!!! The moment my concious mind stepped in to the game, it totally screwed me up! Gotta get that thing to stay out of the picture!!!

In Chan (Zen) temples back in the day monks played a game called "guest/host" in which they would practice verbally dueling with one another shifting between Guest (dualistic) and Host (non-dualistic) visions of r®eality as a way to show their understanding and learn from one another. What was it like? See the above! Thanks BE.

Edited by stuart1

• 1 month later...

I've done some similar breathing + mindfulness exercises at work. They used some biofeedback devices to actually quantify the changes, and it works for sure.

One interest thing I learned was that I received positive results from the exercises, even when the event and exercise was interrupted by physical exertion. The argument is that although your breathing and thought has been derailed, you still retain the positive effects for awhile. What I get from this is that even if you are doing it in your car before you walk up to the registration table, or if you are doing it in the safe area before the match- you may still benefit from it.

I did it today in Arabic- I pictured writing them in my head, I sometimes confuse 7 and 8, this was fun practice. I pictured the set I was on as a written word, then the number of the breath as a numeral- it was interesting and really made me focus.

I've done some similar breathing + mindfulness exercises at work. They used some biofeedback devices to actually quantify the changes, and it works for sure.

One interest thing I learned was that I received positive results from the exercises, even when the event and exercise was interrupted by physical exertion. The argument is that although your breathing and thought has been derailed, you still retain the positive effects for awhile. What I get from this is that even if you are doing it in your car before you walk up to the registration table, or if you are doing it in the safe area before the match- you may still benefit from it.

Definitely. I did a similar breating meditation on a 20 minute drive to the dentist. And then kept it up the whole time I was in the chair while he was grinding in my mouth. I was nearly euphoric when I left the dentist office.

• 7 months later...