Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't walk because of toe pain. Ideas?

lugnut

Anyone know much about toe "injuries"? The toe NEXT to my big toe has been in pain for over three days now. I can't move it much and walking is very painful. Here's the thing. It's happened before but only for a short period of time and in all cases I don't recall a trigger. The symptoms sound just like turf toe but I can't recall anything causing it. I do play tennis quite a bit but don't recall hyper extending my toe or anything. I guess it could be Gout too. I have minor swelling at the base of the toe/joint capsule. Anyone run into this before? I'll likely go to the Doc Monday. Oh and when this flare up has occurred in the past it IS the same toe. I'll also mention that it only hurts when trying to move the toe. When sitting around or sleeping there is no pain.

Thanks

Edited by lugnut

My toes would cramp and hurt, the Dr. finally put me in orthopedic supports. According to the Dr these supports redistribute the stress on my feet back to a normal pattern. The hurting and cramps have lessened considerably.

Sounds like a gout attack. When I get them they hit fast and hard. Good luck, hope the doctor can help.

I had gout attack in the large toes twice in the last year. Very painful. Do check with your doc. It could be more serious indication.

Went to see the Dr yesterday and he wasn't quite sure either. Since most of the pain was on the bottom on the joint and not on the top, it was my 2nd toe and no redness or warmth, he wasn't thinking it was gout. On the other hand he's suspecting some kind of arthritis. Did a blood test for gout and some X-rays. I'll update this when I hear more.

Oh and the funny thing is I signed up for my doctor's web portal. Got an email late last night that that lab results are available on the portal. So I was thinking, heck this is cool. Can't find anything! Love technology!

But the toe cutters aren't an option yet! ;)

Edited by lugnut

So the blood test came back. Mildly high Uric Acid. I need to drink more water (I don't drink enough I know that) and work on a better diet (that's tough but I need to get on it). Not sure if it was gout but could be. Nothing back on the X-rays yet.

3.5-7.2 mg/dl reference range

Edited by lugnut

I delt with an issue that sounds a lot like yours. Long story short after seeing manny local Doctors one sent me to The Cleaveland Clinic Orthopedic Foot Department. I had been very active and the pain cause me to be almost in a Wheel Chair. I had two issues that were causing me problems. The worst of the issues was ware on the bottom of the joint from being very active through the years. Walking and running correctly puts a lot of repetious pounding on the base of that joint. They built Ortotic shoe inserts to move the pressure away from the joint to just back of the joint. That's when I found out about the second issue. The tendons where they redirected the weight to had a lot of scar tissue. A Physical Theropist through about 6 treatments broke the scar tissue up . That was 10 years ago. I still have a little pain but nothing that keeps me from doing anything I want to. In the morning no issues at bead time a little soreness.

Foot pain can be life altering as I found out. Good Luck. Jay

Yeah... I'm really starting to question this being gout. It was getting better until a lot of walking around at the range this weekend. Now it seems to be getting worse again.

Glad to hear they figured out what was going on in your case... I hope I don't have to spend as much time figuring this out!

My issue was an over use issue. If staying off it helps you probably have an over use issue also. I saw 6 Doctors before going to the Cleveland Clinic Foot Orthopedic Doctor. The local Doctor sent me specifically to the Foot Orthopedic Surgery Doctors, he did not want me to see the Podiatrist.

Yeah... I'm really starting to question this being gout. It was getting better until a lot of walking around at the range this weekend. Now it seems to be getting worse again.

Gout will do that. Its crystals tearing at the joint tissue so the more you move it the more it'll hurt.

Either way I hope you feel better. I've suffered from gout since i was 19 (now 31) and have had to sit out of several matches due to flare-ups.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Dumb question, but have you tried a different shoe lately? I recently had a similar sounding issue, and I tracked it down to the new boots that I wasn't wearing. I had bought a new pair and they were a little tight but I assumed I would have to break them in, so it was NBD. I wore them a couple of times on different occasions with no significant issues but the NEXT day, when I put on something else, it was like icepicks in the joints - with shoes that I KNEW to be comfy. Turns out, what I was interpreting as being slightly too tight was actually something in the way the arch/foot bed was formed and it was smooshing my foot out of shape. The next day when I put on the comfy shoes, my feet were still in corkscrew mode and BAM! I got pain. Traded the new boots and no more issues.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I haven't had a chance to talk with my doc about the X-rays. However since he didn't call me I'm assuming there was nothing he saw out of the ordinary... I guess that is good. If there was arthritis and it was bad they'd show up from what I understand.

Toe seems to be at 90% currently so that's making me happy. I'm trying to stay hydrated and am taking some Black Berry concentrate pills as I've been told that will help with gout.... if that's what it was. Different shoes definitely help as I'd expect.

Find a GOOD LOCALLY OWNED athletic shoe store. Talk to some runners to find the best place. Go talk to them and have them look at your feet and stride. Then have them suggest some shoes. Also, look at your socks. Sock technology has changed dramatically in the last 5 years.

Do this regardless. It will make a huge difference. It may not solve the problem but it will help and if the problem is medical it will help with recovery.

When seated, keep the foot elevated, stay away from heat, your body provides plenty of heat. Go get 3 bags of frozen mixed vegetables and ice the toe for 20 min on 20 min off at least 3 times every day consecutively. Re freeze the vegetables after use. They will clump but you can break them apart. Leave them in the bag they come it.

Rest the foot.