Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQd today and never thought I would be the "one"

awmp

There should have been one at match I was at yesterday.  Guy going around wall and tilted his gun up and passed 180.  RO didn't see him and he didn't even notice.  So another shooter and I that both saw and looked right at each other after it happened pulled him to side and let him know.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/13/2017 at 1:27 AM, blueorison said:

Nah he DQ'd himself.  You just were nice enough to volunteer and tell him.

This is what my mentor told, me. When you have a shooter DQ himself that's how you explain it to him. "You have broken a major safety violation and have DQ'ed yourself from the match."

It lets them know they were responsible for the error and why the DQ is necessary (safety).

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, speedsport said:

DQ'd last weekend at the Florida open. My first USPSA match and I picked the open....running left along a shoot house I guess I waddle as I run. 100% my fault. I was overwhelmed for my first match. Broke 180. I finished 8 of 11 stages then got an early flight home.

DQ etiquette is to stay and help your squad tape and reset....sorry to hear about your DQ.   I too, DQ'd at my first major match.   6 rounds into my first stage, in front of two squads.  It sucked.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, RangerTrace said:

DQ etiquette is to stay and help your squad tape and reset....sorry to hear about your DQ.   I too, DQ'd at my first major match.   6 rounds into my first stage, in front of two squads.  It sucked.

I was 6 rounds into a classifier when I sent one over the berm, two months ago. First time for me. Totally my fault, too.

Funny how your buddies speak in hushed tones for awhile. 

5 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I was 6 rounds into a classifier when I sent one over the berm, two months ago. First time for me. Totally my fault, too.

During reload?

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

Been there, sad thing is that it happened at a local match and I had to DQ myself.  My squad mates were going to let it go.  I would have DQ'd them so the only fair thing was to DQ myself.  

• 4 weeks later...

I have yet to be DQ’ed but I could see it happening due to rushing or something outside my control. The point is to learn and move on. 

We try to be understanding with our matches and we are lucky we don’t have to DQ many people but we have a few that can be unsafe and have to watch them like a hawk 

• 5 weeks later...

First match today and first DQ on the last stage. Picking up a bag and a mag for carry to the next array and in so doing I swept my weak side..."random F's"...So now my mantra is the three B's: BARREL, BERM, BODY!! Going back at it next weekend with a new mantra.

First match today and first DQ on the last stage. Picking up a bag and a mag for carry to the next array and in so doing I swept my weak side..."random F's"...So now my mantra is the three B's: BARREL, BERM, BODY!! Going back at it next weekend with a new mantra.

While I have not DQ'd (yet), at a recent LV II match that shall remain nameless, one of my squad mates popped off a round at ULSC. He had failed to drop the mag, but racked the slide and pulled the trigger. The round impacted the berm. Naturally, there was some discussion, with the initial call by the RO as a DQ. The RM was called, but before the RM got there, the shooter packed up their gear and took off, not to be seen again. The RM said the he would have overruled the DQ as the round did not hit within 10' of the shooter, did not go in a unsafe direction, and the ICHD command had not been given. 

Several take aways from this:

Remember that ULSC & ICHD is off the clock, no need to try to be blazing fast at it.

Show the chamber to the RO.

Wait for the range commands.

Wait for the RM to show up if there are any issues.

Stay and help your squad if you DQ.

49 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Several take aways from this:

Remember that ULSC & ICHD is off the clock, no need to try to be blazing fast at it.

Show the chamber to the RO.

Wait for the range commands.

Wait for the RM to show up if there are any issues.

Stay and help your squad if you DQ.

And another consideration out there in the heat of the match. Thanks. BARREL, BODY, BERM.

4 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

The RM said the he would have overruled the DQ as the round did not hit within 10' of the shooter, did not go in a unsafe direction, and the ICHD command had not been given. 

It would be interesting to see an official ruling. 

14 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

I've plowed this ground before.

And??

I do not question the call, just wondering if it would be consistent among all of the powers that be & if there was something a shooter could point to if the next RM calls it the other way. For me it would have been a dq under "not limited to" unsafe gun handling, but I'm just a local r.o. .  

I'm sort of a words mean things type of guy.

The rules say you may resume shooting before the "if clear command is given".

The rules say a shot that impacts farther than 10 feet from the shooter and stays within the berm is not a DQ.

You know and I know, and I suspect the shooter knows what he did. 

He he was wrong and I would have been wrong to ignore the written rules. Two wrongs don't make a right.

He should have received the additional time and a repeat of the unload sequence of commands IMO.

2 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

The rules say you may resume shooting before the "if clear command is given".

The rules say a shot that impacts farther than 10 feet from the shooter and stays within the berm is not a DQ.

You know and I know, and I suspect the shooter knows what he did. 

He he was wrong and I would have been wrong to ignore the written rules. Two wrongs don't make a right.

He should have received the additional time and a repeat of the unload sequence of commands IMO.

Fresh from RO 1 class this weekend and we discussed this very scenario. "10.4.3.1  Exception –  a  detonation,  which  occurs  while  unloading  a  handgun,  is  not  considered  a  shot  or  discharge  subject  to  a  match disqualification."

4 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

Unfortunately they often mean different things to different people. If I understand you correctly it is your opinion that letting a round go when you thought the gun was clear does not constitute unsafe gun handling, which is ok by me, do not have a dog in the fight, just was hoping that there was something official rather than this being an opinion thing. 

3 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Fresh from RO 1 class this weekend and we discussed this very scenario. "10.4.3.1  Exception –  a  detonation,  which  occurs  while  unloading  a  handgun,  is  not  considered  a  shot  or  discharge  subject  to  a  match disqualification."

Don't think so. If the slide is closed and you are pulling the trigger then you are not in the act of unloading a hand gun, if the round detonates while being racked out then you get a free pass.

21 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Unfortunately they often mean different things to different people. If I understand you correctly it is your opinion that letting a round go when you thought the gun was clear does not constitute unsafe gun handling, which is ok by me, do not have a dog in the fight, just was hoping that there was something official rather than this being an opinion thing. 

Don't think so. If the slide is closed and you are pulling the trigger then you are not in the act of unloading a hand gun, if the round detonates while being racked out then you get a free pass.

You are correct. I just checked my notes. The exception is for a detonation which is defined in the glossary as ignition of the primer not by the firing pin which assumes not a purposeful trigger pull. 10.4.3 uses the word shot which is defined as a bullet that passes completely through the barrel. Thanks for the correction.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Just an FYI, I asked George Jones about this situation, and he concurs that the call that Gary made was the correct call. 

You understand the desire for something a person could point to though? "So and so said on one of the gun forums" never seems to give me any traction.

Who is George Jones?