Nimitz's Journey To Shooting Greatness

Nimitz

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No it's steel.  I use a flat blade screwdriver that I've ground down to fit within the holes with a nice edge on it and scrap out the lead every 2-3 weeks (~ 1,500 - 1,800 rds).  Once a year I take the comp off and clean with. 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide &  white vinegar (perisidic acid) but you need to be REALLY careful with this as the resultant sludge is hazardous ...

ive tried every other method ever recommended an none of them work worth a damn .... Not sure how it would out on an Aluminim comp but steel is impervious to any scraping so I just scrap until I see shiny metal and call it good ...

Edited by Nimitz

5 hours ago, Nimitz said:

No it's steel.  I use a flat blade screwdriver that I've ground down to fit within the holes with a nice edge on it and scrap out the lead every 2-3 weeks (~ 1,500 - 1,800 rds).  Once a year I take the comp off and clean with. 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide &  white vinegar (perisidic acid) but you need to be REALLY careful with this as the resultant sludge is hazardous ...

ive tried every other method ever recommended an none of them work worth a damn .... Not sure how it would out on an Aluminim comp but steel is impervious to any scraping so I just scrap until I see shiny metal and call it good ...

I was hoping you would give me a way that works.

I agree that nothing works as advertised.

Scraping seems to be the only real answer.

Do you have any experience with the SJC 5 port aluminum or their 3 port stainless 22 comps?

Unfortunately the only comp I've ever had on my 22 is the one you see.  On my STI it is the one that came with the gun.  For the 22 I think as long as you stay away from the comps with tiny holes you can't go too wrong ... With the lack of availability of 22 I shoot whTever I can get for training which means a lot of plain old lead which tends to lead the comp quickly ....

14 hours ago, Nimitz said:

Unfortunately the only comp I've ever had on my 22 is the one you see.  On my STI it is the one that came with the gun.  For the 22 I think as long as you stay away from the comps with tiny holes you can't go too wrong ... With the lack of availability of 22 I shoot whTever I can get for training which means a lot of plain old lead which tends to lead the comp quickly ....

Thanks

yep, just not posting much except for after matches .  I'm pretty busy working on my book as I want to be able to release it by the summer so that takes up whatever free time I have when I'm not training ...

Just returned from the monthly level 1 match where I'm MD ..... shot a new all-time 7-stage match personal best of 66.64.  Match included Outer Limits where I also set a new stage personal best of 11.44 secs, lowering my previous personal best by over 1 sec.; all 3 strings were sub 4 secs with the throw-away run being 4.07.  Also shot a new stage personal best on 5 To Go.  Given those 2 new personal best times my overall classification should be over 100% when the update is run this Wed night ....  check off another goal for 2017 & it's not even the mid point yet ... :)

I'm particularly happy with how I shot this match given that there are plenty of distractions throughout the day as MD which are not exactly designed to help keep me on my mental program.  With each passing week running my mental program in training gets easier and easier.  With out a doubt my new training methods are also working as I'm shooting consistently well match after match.  My 8-stage match ave for this year is currently at 81.98 secs and my 7-stage match ave is 69.57 secs where half of the matches include Outer Limits.

While I still have a ways to go, I'm clearly on a good path and see no reason to change any of my training .... next match will be at Volusia County next Saturday.

Just look at all of those distractions as mental toughness training...  :) the good news is at the big matches you will not have to deal with match management problems..  Thanks again for putting on a good match.

Rick

I must confess that when you first started posting, I doubted you would ever meet your goal.  Now that you have, you remind me that it really only takes a lot of work.  I'm very happy to hear you made GM.  Congratulations and I apologize for not keeping up!!  

just returned from the monthly match I shot at Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club and I set a new 8-stage personal best time of 76.67 secs.  I also set another new personal best stage time on Showdown of 7.26 secs.  A sub 7 sec match stage time is not too far off.  I've done it a fair number of times in training and I'm getting closer every match so I expect by the year of this year to do it.  I continue to shoot well consistently with only 4 make-up shots for the 31 individual strings for this match

Not looking at my times during training except for my cold stage runs.as really allowed me to focus on all the other technical aspects of my shooting and that is translating into lower scores as it enables me to shoot each string consistently fast since I don't concern myself with results, just whether or not i executed my mechanics correctly.  I've also switched up my dry fire routine some what which I also think is contributing to my continual success.  At some point I'll be switching my training back to trying to lower my average training times but for right now I'll continue with what I'm doing since clearly 75 sec 8-stage matches are easily achievable at my current skill level.

All the basic chapters for my book are now done and I've started on the drill diagrams & explanations.  Once that is complete and after I finish a complete edit Ben Stoeger has agreed to review for me at which point is should be ready to publish.  Not sure yet if I'm going to offer a Kindle version or just teh paperback.  I'll have to see what the drill diagrams look like in small format & then make a decision.

Back to regular training on Monday ...

While its true I've shot with many people who's single string time is more than my overall stage time I'd never be so impolite as to mention that in public ....?

7 sec reloads are always worth mentioning however ...?

• 4 weeks later...

Results from today's 8-stage match was an 83.69, which included an 'amazing' 10.87 on Smoke & Hope.  That's what happens when you have back-to-back uncalled misses on two strings.  In retrospect I knew both times that they were close but elected not  to take makeup shots.  I'd like to think in a Major I would have taken them, particularly on the second string if I had already incurred 1 penalty previously ...  I've also been working on a new shooting order for Smoke & Hope but didn't feel I had enough time shooting it to try it during a match.  In hindsight I could obviously have tried it today ... :).  Prior to today, my 2017 ave for S & H for 9 matches was 7.99 secs. I've been analyzing why I can't seem get into the 1.7 sec/string time vice where I am now which is the 1.85-1.9 sec time given that my first shot is usually sub .5 secs and I finally decided to look at shooting order.  It appears I can easily makeup ~ .1 secs with a better order so hopefully I'll be ready by next month's match ...

On a brighter note, my book went to editing today so I think I'm still on track to have it published within the next 2 months barring any format changes that are needed.  For those of you who read Front Sight mag you may have noticed that my 2nd Steel Challenge Shooting Corner piece did not appear in the latest issue .... I was told there wasn't space after other higher priority pieces went in so we'll see what happens for the Aug/Sept issue ...

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've been working on some new things WRT Smoke & Hope in dry fire I decided to take advantage of the fact that there are no matches this weekend at my club since Jul has a '5th weekend' in it and do some live fire to see where I was at.  Using my new stage shooting order my cold stage run was 7.75 followed by runs of 7.04, 6.94, 6.9 & 7.04.  At this point even with those scores, I noticed that I was really muscling the gun between plates #2 & #3 so for the next 5 strings I focused on just relaxing and trying to execute the same transition between all the plates vice what I had been doing which can be best described as a jerky stop & go motion.  The difference was immediately noticeable with strings of 1.72, 1.73, 1.77, 1.74, 176, 1.72, 171, 172 & 174 all in a row for consecutive stage times of 6.95 & 6.89.

While all these are just training times and I don't expect to necessarily shoot a sub 7 sec time at next week's match, what it does mean is that I should be able to easily put down 1.85-1.9 sec runs all day long utilizing these new discoveries once they become subconscious skills from dry fire.

I also did some more load development for my PCC.  I was able to get down to a PF of 109 today with 100% reliability so we'll continue to push it down until the gun starts to hiccup ...

We ended up deciding to reformat my book and so the editing took a 2 week hit while we accomplished that.  One more quick check of the new format & then we'll be back to editing again next week.  We still have to accomplish the photos which will also accompany some chapters but that will only take a day or two to accomplish.  I'll still hopeful that the book will be ready by the end of August ....