Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loaded Moonclip storage? What do you use

alecmc

Loading moonclips at matches is for the birds, I've got enough good quality moonclips for a whole uspsa match ( 625 ) and a whole steel challenge match ( 627)

What I have been doing is just either tossing them loose in my range bag, or using a small plastic bucket type thing... Though i'd like to try and utilize something a little more dedicated to the task , and take care of them a little more.

any clever ideas? Post some pictures up!

I use a couple of those 2" tall or so tackle boxes that have 2x2 (or so) compartments. I've got the larger ones and they hold around 24 clips (144 rounds). When I'm done with a stage, I just drop back in where they came from and the clips stay nice and protected.

It may not be clever, but I use a small ammo can. It may not be the lightest or the coolest, but its my $9 fix to that issue. If you really wanted, you could place them in a 50 cal can and use it as a seat if you are a puss, I mean, get tired. :)

i shoot a 610 and my first solution was to reuse factory boxes......remove the tray and 8 loaded moonclips fit perfectly...more recently I saw some really nice setups that used a wood bottom with posts that stand upright....the whole thing fits in the bottom of a stage bag from one of the big name range bag companies others will probably know what bag and who makes the racks...anyway ...I roughed out one of my own and it does ok.

I just use the Smith and Wesson blue plastic gun boxes. I can store 31 moon clips and unloading tool, the grey foam gently secures them from moving around. When I refresh my belt, I turn the used clips in the box, upside down.

Pskys2 made some real nice wood boxes with clear lids a few years ago.

Edited by toothguy

After making beau coup wooden Moon Caddies, I've migrated to the Plano 3600 Box.

I use the separators and it holds 18 Moon Clips standing up nice and neat.

Works great for the .45 and even with .357 Magnums for the 8 shots.

But those are for storing them, kind of a pain to get into during a Match. I actually took an old square Bullet Box, Laser Cast are perfect size, cut some cardboard to fit between the layers and I can put 9 Moon Clips per layer and 3 layers gives me 27 Moon Clips in a light weight, easy to get into and ultimately disposable container. Then as I use the Clips I throw them into a Brass Bag to let any dirt, grit, water, etc... dribble out and not onto ready to use Clips.

Edited by pskys2

I take no credit. I saw Brians set up long ago. After begging, borrowing and stealing, he made me 3 plus a couple of F&N stage bag over the course of time. Both my wife and I shoot 8 shot revos together so everything I do is times 2. The Half and Half bags are for pistol and revo together for USPSA and IDPA. The Full moon bag is our ICORE bag. Holds 384 rds enough for most major match days. I can not thanks Brain enough for making these for me. This allows us to have a Shooter connection bag that holds all range gear for all disciplines while having each insert specific to each game only. Now I just go to the safe, grab the guns in their sleeves and the insert for the range bag and go.

It has simplified our weekend to weekend setup/changeover double checking time. I do recommend before you all run down to the lumber store to make something similar that you rethink that and use something that won't insert slivers of wood under your fingernail. (you have been warned)

post-21005-0-81920600-1374114123_thumb.j

post-21005-0-81028100-1374114098_thumb.j

Edited by Ty Hamby

I do recommend before you all run down to the lumber store to make something similar that you rethink that and use something that won't insert slivers of wood under your fingernail. (you have been warned)

I made my first one out of wood and was rewarded with a big sliver under my finger nail while reaching in to grab a moon at the Southwest Regional a few years back. At least it was my trigger finger! :goof: A little more rounding of the top of the posts would have helped, but the problem is gone with the delrin.

I use an insert that I made inside a Shooters Connection Inner Bag. I use delrin rod and base. I have different bag/insert sets for the different guns (6 or 8 shot).

Iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

PM Sent!

I have a piece of stockade fence with 22 wooden dowels. The dowels are glued with Elmers wood glue into the staggered holes in the piece of fencing. Each dowel can hold three 625 moonclips. I put it all in a canvas toolbag from an army surplus store. Thankfully, there have been no slivers in my shooting finger. It has served me well for a couple of years.

I used a wooden dowel setup for a while and it works well if you are only shooting that one gun but takes up a lot of room in the bag if you are taking multiple guns.

I tried the plano boxes but they are very bulky and waste a lot of room with round clips in square holes.

The best solution for me has been clear plastic shipping tubes (uline is a good source). It is very convenient to just toss a few tubes of clips into my range bag if I'm taking a revolver that trip.

I use a large and small one of the Outdoor Products Waterproof boxes with foam on the bottom and between layers of moon clips. I don't recall how many they hold, I got them because they were easier to carry and store than the Plano 3730 boxes.

post-5860-0-52531800-1374164001_thumb.jp

What I use now is a Sterilite container -- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-Ultra-Seal-12-0-Cup-Square-Food-Storage-Container-2-Pack-03334706/202516253 (this may not be the exact one but you get the idea). I put them in layers with a cardboard seperator between layers because of the primer going off dangers. You can get around 44 or more loaded clips in one and it doesn't take up a lot of room in your bag.

I bought a Plano 3700 to go with my new 627 today. I wish it was a touch shorter, too much thickness for 38 Special. For my 625 I found that the Plano 3771 works great. Its thinner (too thin for 38 Special), being the perfect height and row spacing for 45 ACP. For my old 610 I have been using old Berry's bullet boxes. I can stack two layers 7 clips per layer in each one.

967309_473253322753448_1698791438_o.jpg

Edited by mcb

That Dillon Border Shift bag works great--loaded moons go in one side, emptys/partials in the other.

I feel like its mostly ok to put the 45's in a bag loaded, but the hearthco match for my 627's not so much.