Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with music.

Agney5

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I could see this as being a very effective "zen" device prior to a stage, or just relaxing all around.

Prior to IMAZ I spent hours, and hours, and hours in the pool swimming. I have to say that having a waterproof iPod shuffle and waterproof ear buds made it much easier to focus on stroke etc, but kept other things from the work day and such from crowding my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

I always listen to music while dry firing, preferably some hard rock to get me to go fast during practice. I've tried during the match but miss out on talking to other shooters and making fun of my friends whenever possible. Timing is everything you know.

I am obviously in the minority here but I absolutely despise the practice of adding music into any technique based activity. To me you are simply adding one more variable on which your performance is reliant. For the long distance runner or the swimmer who swims countless laps I get it. But, if you believe it actually helps your shooting performance what's gonna happen when the music isn't allowed or available when it matters? I've seen to many college athletes freak out when all of a sudden the rules don't allow headphones at a competition. And for those who think the music helps to conquer that little voice that screws up your performance? Distraction is not the same as conquering. You're not achieving Zen you are achieving avoidance.

I imagine this post won't be well received but I have had this view reinforced by more than a few sports psychologists.

Oh. And one more thing. I am operating a firearm with ear protection on. My situational awareness is already impaired. I don't want to stunt my senses any more than they already are. But screw it. If you can't get control of your own senses go ahead and block them out. Perhaps a blindfold might prevent you from peaking away from the target?

• 1 month later...

I thought about this last weekend. I usually can't do anything with out background noise, typically music. I drive, ride, reload, work on cars... other various activities, with music. Shooting has been the one area i havent brought this into. Mainly because the majority of my training/experience is in a military environment where we won't have music (as much add i would love it). I thought about it last weekend, but the possibility of hanging up on the wire told me no. Routing it through my shirt created tension in the wire on the belt and ear pro. I know i could, and it is tempting after hearing others say it.

If i do end up trying it, it will be Lindsay sterling on Pandora, check it out, that is some awesome in the zone type stuff

Edited by evilbeef54

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

My earpro had Bluetooth built in, custom sport ear hearing protection.  The Bluetooth never really worked correctly and I gave up.  I've shot with earbuds under my ear muffs when by myself, but I don't trust being distracted around others on the range 

On 12/20/2016 at 8:59 PM, cmalin06 said:

My earpro had Bluetooth built in, custom sport ear hearing protection.  The Bluetooth never really worked correctly and I gave up.  I've shot with earbuds under my ear muffs when by myself, but I don't trust being distracted around others on the range 

What he said. And I've seen more than one guy blow a stage because they had music playing in their ear during the walk thru. 

While I am no sports psychologist and only a lowly Masters Level professional in the field I find that music raises my mood, endorphins, attention etc. Of course it should be used wisely and not substituted for learning how to detach or get in the zone under, whatever you want to call your Zen type experience under stress of competition. Doing dry reps in the garage is different than live fire etc. Just my 2 cents, your results may vary.  

• 2 weeks later...

I use music at dry fire session and karate training for keeping the rhythm, but never in live shooting. If somebody could find the relaxation and clear state of mind at live shooting, then for sure, the music will help him.

I like to listen to music pretty loud, when I dry-fire and Airsoft practice.  Usually, something in the fairly loud and metallic genre. 

There was a thread some years ago, where Brian described "The Set".    I began to realize, that music can be part of establishing the set.  

• 6 months later...
On 2/17/2015 at 7:53 AM, GetAwayDriva said:

I just tried listening to music while dry firing the other night. What a great way to shut off that stupid inner voice that wants to chat while I am trying to practice and take my focus away from just "doing".

Exactly!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Love dry firing + music. I also have incorporated some shooting specific workouts into my exercise routine (sometimes using an airsoft pistol, but usually weights), and I always play music for that too. On the dry fire stuff, I usually have my phone playing music, and my ipad next to it with Stoegers book on dry firing propped up so I can flip easily between drills.

On 1/9/2017 at 1:51 PM, akeefer said:

Are we talking at a match? Wouldn't there be the possibility of missing a RO command? 

This would be my main worry about shooting a COF while listening to music. 

I've been in a chill hop phase these days, and I generally practice with the TV on or whatever flavor of music I'm into at the time!