Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Come?

TerryT

I see plenty of people that can shoot a 2" group at 10 yds. They then struggle with a 4" at 20 yds. Forget about a 8" at 40 yds. Why is it so difficult the farther back the target (within reason) if it is the same m.o.a.?

Which target is easier to see? Often you get tighter groups at distance using an aiming point that is easier to see at distance. Others like to place the point of the target center on their blade. Some like to place the blade on the center of the target. I have been able to get better groups shooting at larger targets as my eyes have gotten older. When I was younger, I could get tighter groups with a 1" dot out to 50yds. Not any more.

At 10 yd its pretty easy for most people to have both the sights and the target in acceptable focus, the further out you move the harder it is to have both in acceptable focus, many people (myself included) will sometimes relax out of the hard front sight focus that is required to be accurate at longer ranges. another thing that causes problems for many shooters is our targets, at 10 yd you are able to aim at the "A" in the middle of the A zone or at a particular paster or whatever but at 20+ yd you may end up just aiming at the middle of the brown but "Middle" may not be that precise.

Mike

I think it has a lot to do with perception, and the shooter's experience with that distance. I know with my Glock pistols I am all over the paper at 25 yards, but at 7 yards I can shoot nice "XYZ handgun magazine article" ragged one hole groups just like the authors can. How many practical pistol shooters practice shooting at 40 yards? Not that we shouldn't, but the only time I have had a 35 yard shot at a match I took a deep breath and fired an extra shot at it and it worked out ok.

• 2 years later...

During slow fire i would think most folks can maintain a relative grouping (2" at 10yds, 4" at 20yrds, etc), but during a match, i think that gets blown away. Like you said, the groups get much larger at distance. For me the answer is, at 10 yards, you don't have to give the target much respect. At 20-40 yards it demands increasing amounts of respect... and during matches, i sometimes go brain-dead and neglect to slow down enough on those longer targets to ensure alphas. That's where you really need to be able to "change gears" - hoser splits on close targets, then deliberate trigger pulls on longer targets.

• 2 weeks later...

I come from a long range rifle background.... alot of it has to do with sight picture.

keeping in mind, if you use the same size target you will have twice the sight post covering the target that you previously had.... If you use the same 'relative' size target like 10moa at 10yds and 10moa at 20yds then you'd likely see people shoot same relative group size meaning 20 moa (2" at 10yd and 4" at 20yd) since its an angular measurement.

its easier for me to place my seemingly small sightpost on a 1" dot at 10yds and beat the hell out of it. now move it back to 20yds and that same dot is harder to see.... some people's vision isn't as good for those 'bullseye' shots as they once were.

Confidence and eye sight If your not comfortable for whatever reason or you can't see it as well as you would like you won't be able to make the hits where you want. 20 yards isn't that far but a lot of people don't shoot it on a regular basis.

I agree on what others have said. Definitely eye sight but also sight picture. I have on one gun .100 front and a rear barely wider. Just installed same front but wider rear on my other gun, I shoot it even worse at distance.

Red

Old/bad eyes Spray and pray at 25+ yards.

I regularly practice on a plate rack that is set up at 25yards out. What's interesting is when I come back to a 5-7 yard target right away I always hit high. I know why this is happening, but I haven't been able to overcome my first shot hitting neck height D.

• 3 weeks later...