Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plan for 3 gun dump box/rack ?

The abandonment barrels we use for all long guns are a 40 gal trash can securely staked to the ground. This ensures all safely grounded firearms are pointing straight down into the dirt, not downrange, or at a berm, or at a target, or at anything else. Straight down in the dirt is the key.

The tables used for staging long guns are about 48" long x 16" wide. I'll see if I can find a good picture of one. But, in my opinion, a vertical container just like we use for grounding firearms is just as suitable. I think they use the table for 3GN because it looks a little better on TV than pulling a rifle out of a trash can.

David, sorry for the confusion. Those boxes have been used at the 3GN shoot-offs. They work ok if the course of fire is straight left to right, but even then I've seen guns fall out (when grounded a bit carelessly) because the sides of the box are pretty short. Unless a situation warranted this type of box, I would still suggest using a vertical container with tall sides. (ie 40 gal trash can)

[quote name="Bryan 45" post="1954744" timestamp="1372075223"I think they use the table for 3GN because it looks a little better on TV than pulling a rifle out of a trash can.

My buddy and I have a saying "presentation is very important".

Edited by chevyoneton

smaller buckets are also used for abandoning handguns... They are usually attached up higher so u dont have to bend down... Barrels are great for abandoning long guns... U attach a leg support system with a cross piece for rigidity and it works great... Just make sure u drill weep holes for the rainy matches... We put carpet padding at the bottom and up the inside for those complaining about their equip getting beat up...

Pistol buckets and long gun barrels should be on the ground with guns in them vertical. You can sweep yourself if its up off the ground. Why not bend down???

carpet will melt...to the gun. Use cardboard to line it, but why line a rubber barrell at all?

jj

On my private range, I have access to white plastic barrels from farming and use them as dump barrels. Those barrels can be standing straight up and the gun drops straight down into them, or I can mount legs to them and have the gun go in at a slight angle that still leaves the muzzle pointed at the ground but isn't as cumbersome when abandoning a weapon safely.

For pistol....Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Dollar Store, Wal-Mart....they all carry little plastic trash cans that work fine. I either use them on the ground or screwed to the side of a dump barrel or barricade.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...