Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What has happened to the Mossberg 930?

JKW

Or I should ask what IS happening to the 930? I bought my 28" 930 Waterfowl in December of 2011 after reading the mostly favorable reviews on the various versions of this shotgun. I immediately cut the barrel down to 22" (I have the equipment to do this) and shortly after sent it to GunCat to have it threaded for chokes (I do not yet have the equipment to do this). I opened up the loading port myself and polished a number of components in the action. A Nordic extension was added, the transition between the extension and mag tube cleaned up, and the stock follower was polished and gently beveled. Several other little additions and changes have been made such as Briley extended chokes, HiViz front sight and a home built enlarged bolt release. To date, I have not had a single malfunction of any kind, shooting everything from federal bulk, to slugs, to high brass heavy loads. It is smooth to cycle, smooth to shoot, and shoots point of aim with the slugs I have been using.

Now in the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that by most standards, the round count on my gun is low at probably not more than 600. While the round count is low, it really does not seem relevant to my question of what has caused this shotgun to go from a solid recommendation in a budget 3 gun shotgun, to a red headed whipping boy? The reason I say round count is not relevant to my question, is because the stories and complaints seem to be centered on problems that have bothered owners from the day they took their guns out of the boxes. Also, the JM Pro gets more than its fair share of reported problems. Although this new-ish version of the gun is intended for competition, it doesn't seem to have been on the market long enough, nor does it seem to be the typical choice (understandably) of heavy users that shoot a lot of matches.

So if its not a longevity issue (yet) what is it? Why aren't these guns running for people when my has been such a pleasure? I accept that the level of fit and finish is not on par with guns costing more money, and that there are some limited duty parts used in the construction of the 930, but I didn't expect anything different when I handed over the cash. What I did expect was for it to be reliably working shotgun, and it has delivered that for me.

But now I am faced with a problem and I guess the reason for my long post. I have recently reconnected with a group of good guys and old friends that are wanting to start shooting in local multi-gun matches. Three or four have come out to watch and are loving what they saw. Several of these guys are starting from scratch, in that they have NONE of the guns suitable for the game. Carry guns yes, maybe an O/U or other nice hunting shotgun, but that's it. The expense of acquiring all the guns and gear to get started is high, and the lure of something 3 gun ready like the JM Pro is strong. To make matters worse, when they come to watch and maybe even borrow my gun and it works so well, what do I offer as a possible reason to stay away from the 930? Or barring that, what correctable problems can I caution them about? Right now tentatively suggesting the Versamax or possibly a used M2 though its still not an answer to what problems plague the 930 and why they exist. Sure, I can tell them to read up on their own and find out but I'm hoping to get some more answers and info for them in this thread.

Edited by JKW

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not answering your question but I am wondering the same thing. Mine has ran since day one and I've had it for about a year now. I probably have just under a thousand rounds through mine. Even though mine runs the allure of the Benelli is still there. So maybe people just trash it to help make their choice for the Benelli easier.

I believe the issue from what I hear is the later models of the JM pro due to high demand are the bad bunch. Luck of the draw I guess, I wanted one myself but I was not going to over pay during this panic. I saw people were trying to get $900 or more out of the JM Pro. So I decided the hell with it and got a Versa Max. I think this is where all this is coming from. People just like me who just gave up on finding one and went a different route. Honestly I have never shot one. I know plenty of guys at Owensboro 3 gun shoot them well with no issues, so I cant tell you exactly how this bad wrap of the JM Pro.

i think its a matter of perception. i dont think they have a bad rep at all. i think in many cases it is still the go to gun for people on a budget. as stated the overall fit and finish isnt up to par with the more expensive guns, but that should be expected on a gun that costs half as much. if you go to the mossbergowners forum there are tons of people very happy with their 930's. of course when it comes to the internet people who have bad experiences are going to stand out more than all the good ones because the complaining gets more attention. additionally, when people have problems they go online looking for solutions so the problem gets noticed. wheras someone with a good working gun doesnt put up the same type of threads. i love my 930 and so far its been great, but i do have a very low round count since i just recently got it. however, from what ive heard the first 200 rounds are the most picky for the 930's for breakin, and im only a little over 100. i had 2 failures with a box of old fiocchi turkey loads, they had some corrosion on the brass (i dont even think it was brass, just a brass colored coating with some slight rust coming through) so I think this was due to the ammo. then i ran two boxes of bulk federal walmart loads flawlessly.

i think at times someone who pays for one of the more expensive guns is going to be quick to take pot shots at a less expensive gun to help make them feel better about their expensive purchase too. not to say that the more expensive guns arent better because im sure in many ways they are. i am very happy with my 930 so far, but i still plan to pick up a m2 or vm down the road because i think those guns are outstanding tools, and id like to have them in my collection when the budget allows.

i think its a matter of perception. i dont think they have a bad rep at all. i think in many cases it is still the go to gun for people on a budget. as stated the overall fit and finish isnt up to par with the more expensive guns, but that should be expected on a gun that costs half as much. if you go to the mossbergowners forum there are tons of people very happy with their 930's. of course when it comes to the internet people who have bad experiences are going to stand out more than all the good ones because the complaining gets more attention. additionally, when people have problems they go online looking for solutions so the problem gets noticed. wheras someone with a good working gun doesnt put up the same type of threads. i love my 930 and so far its been great, but i do have a very low round count since i just recently got it. however, from what ive heard the first 200 rounds are the most picky for the 930's for breakin, and im only a little over 100. i had 2 failures with a box of old fiocchi turkey loads, they had some corrosion on the brass (i dont even think it was brass, just a brass colored coating with some slight rust coming through) so I think this was due to the ammo. then i ran two boxes of bulk federal walmart loads flawlessly.

i think at times someone who pays for one of the more expensive guns is going to be quick to take pot shots at a less expensive gun to help make them feel better about their expensive purchase too. not to say that the more expensive guns arent better because im sure in many ways they are. i am very happy with my 930 so far, but i still plan to pick up a m2 or vm down the road because i think those guns are outstanding tools, and id like to have them in my collection when the budget allows.

I think you are spot on sir.

I believe the issue from what I hear is the later models of the JM pro due to high demand are the bad bunch.

Ah, this may be good info. I wonder if there was just a group of guns that had issues, rather than there being some inherent weakness in the design?

if you go to the mossbergowners forum there are tons of people very happy with their 930's.

I'll go over there and do some reading. I'd forgotten about that forum.

Thanks for the input fellas.

It is what it is. When Mossberg built The JM Pro their marketing department was faced with several issues. First a very struggling-economy here, lots of gun talk, and a supply shortage on the horizon. With these things being facts they felt that an introduction to this new and fast growing spor of three gun should get the some market share. But you have to consider the market they are looking for. Its for a new shooter, or one who just wants to get there feet wet, and one who is not yet willing to spend the Money for a fast comp race gun.

My shooting buddy bought a JM Pro, he was tickled to death and it sure had lots of features. But for the first 500 rounds he had no many problems he gave up and sent it back to Mossberg. They kept the gun seven months and then returned it with a different barrel did not even close resemble the one he sent back. Well short story this one did not work either. Not as many problems but way more then you can stand in a match. Again he sent it back and five weeks later it is back. So far it has run 300 rounds with only two mishaps. So He is giving it a little more time.

Now, not a fair comparison but I bought a Versa Max Tactical. WOW !

From out of the box and over 700 rounds not one issue. Actually, I just sent it to Bennie Hill today. Having the loading port fixed for load two and quad.

So, this reminds me of a commercial.... Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later. This is just my story and any resemblance to persons living or dead if to bad.

Tks.

Sounds like problems occur through out manufacture years, which may have started in 2011. Would assume its due to poor quality control in parts meeting specs rather than crap design, as crap design would affect all jm930s. still clinging to my 1 year old jm930, which other than a couple of failure to set off primers, has run well with light and heavy loads. A stronger firing pin spring, found at a local Ace and trimmed to length solved the problem, which is not uncommon as i saw it happen to another jm930 last month.

mark

I also wonder.

I bought mine, put ten rounds of buck shot through it,

ten of squirrel shot,

then started running the cheap walmart Winchester and Federal 100 round boxes.

My main issue is how high it shoots slugs, but I have seen the same from some much more expensive shotguns.

It seems to be the Beretta 92 of shotguns,

"everybody knows" they are unreliable and everyone talks bad about them.

I'm going to guess that most of the problems that people experienced with their 930 was related to the piston assembly being too dirty. I usually clean my 930 Waterfowler every 200 rounds or so. My round count is now around 1,000.

The one problem I had was when I sprayed some CLP into the gas piston lug connected to the barrel. The spray dislodged a thin split-ring from the gas piston. I called Mossberg CS and they said that problem happens occasionally from over lubing the gas piston and they would re-install the split-ring for me. The split-ring goes in between the coils of a thick spring that is captured by a spanner nut. The CS rep said it will be a PITA job to do it myself: Mossberg has a dedicated machine for this process.

I went the DIY route with a C-clamp and flat-bar for a spanner wrench.

The CS rep recommends using a finger to wipe oil on the piston area to clean it. Don't spray or scrub the piston lug area. I wish that tip was in the damn manual.

gdboytyler, good heads up on cleaning the gas piston. ill keep that in mind. and i think you have a very good point about many problems being from a dirty gas piston system, many people do not remove the rings on the gas piston and clean in there which is important to do when it gets real dirty. i did an initial breakdown and clean/oil when i first got it and im a bit over 100 rounds now. i plan to run as many rounds as possible until it doesnt cycle reliably and then clean, and repeat. i want to see how many rounds i can go between serious cleaning. i typically clean my guns after every use, but for the sake of an experiment this is how im going to run the 930 (besides cleaning the bore).

now a question i have been looking to get an answer for is who works on the 930, and is there any gunsmithing that can be done to improve the "reliability" of it? i know there is a "reliability upgrade" available for the fnh slp to help it run light and heavy loads with a single gas piston spring. people send out the m2 to have the bolt lightened to help eat low power stuff more reliably, etc... (im sure many other things get done as well). but i havent heard about anything that someone gets done to the 930 to improve reliability.

I'll put my .02 in...Last year just before the JM came out I got a 930SPX new and converted it to a 3gun shotgun with a 24" non ported turkey barrel. With the new barrel it didn't work. Mossberg said send the whole gun back and they would make it work. it took about 2 weeks but it came back running like a champ.... No issues since. I don't clean it much, maybe every 1k rounds or so but its been very reliable. I use a Briley mag tube with it and didn't have to tune it at all.

I'm with Ramairthree... Slugs shoot WAY too high at 100 yards.. I have no idea how to deal with that as it patterns right with #8 bird shot.

t

Call Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. The JM model was based on the custom work that Benny Hill originally did on the 930. See the giant 930 thread started by Benny Hill.

he doesnt work on the 930 anymore, and i read that whole thread a while back. really im just curious if there is anything people typically do to the 930 to increase reliability.

I've had mine since March of 2012(new), put almost 2000 shells through it with no issues. I'm still using the factory 28" barrel with the ports covered with shim stock and a +8 Nordic tube and clamp. My only problem is occasionally during loading I won't get the shell past the stop in the tube and it'll shoot out onto the lifter, nothing to do there but drop the remaining shells and get to shooting.

There are plenty of threads on many different forums with people talking about how reliable their 930's have been. Just to reiterate I'm sure its a case of the bad reports scaring people more than the reality of it.

What are some of the common problems with the versa max, m2, SLP, etc...?

Locally, the new kids have bought VMs, SLPs and JM930s. Of those, only the JM930s have had trouble. Of the 6 I know about, 3 are sold, one is being sold and two are still kicking without any issues. It could also just be the people who buy them are more likely to not maintain them than the buyers of the other brands.

The SLP can take up to 1K rounds to get broken in and running reliably, but that is about it other than "over-modding" or no maintenance.

I think PK said in another thread somewhere...something like...let's get a thousand (or maybe 2K) rounds on a gun before we talk about reliability. I know I ran over 2K through my VM before I used it in a match. A lot of the guys on the "other forums" have a few hundred rounds through their tactical shotguns and they then christen them as the gold standard. If a gun can not go 500 rounds (more is more better), multiple times with no maintenance, I don't even want it in my safe.

Edited by MarkCO

I never have any problems but I know some do. Maybe I just got lucky that I bought a waterfowl and modded it to taste over time. I run about 200 rounds in a practice session without issue and clean it when I get home. I use machine gun lube or frog lube only if that matters. I did have a stove pipe when using Walmart bulk but that was it in about 3k rounds.

Confirmation bias probably plays a big role in the reputation of a brand within any particular group. If you buy a low priced gun that isn't favored by the cool kids and it malfunctions, you're probably quick to decide it's junk and needs to be replaced. If you spend a lot of money on a respected brand and it malfunctions, it must not be broken in yet, or maybe it's your fault for not cleaning or lubing it correctly.

I also wonder.

I bought mine, put ten rounds of buck shot through it,

ten of squirrel shot,

then started running the cheap walmart Winchester and Federal 100 round boxes.

My main issue is how high it shoots slugs, but I have seen the same from some much more expensive shotguns.

It seems to be the Beretta 92 of shotguns,

"everybody knows" they are unreliable and everyone talks bad about them.

Shooting high with slugs seems to be par for this model. Would guess the design was not vetted with enough (any) slugs to discover this. Easily fixed with a higher front sight base or a stout tree/trailer hitch. Granted, should not be happening, but not enough of an issue for me to sell mine. Just replaced the front sight base, tru glo 950 and its dead on at 100 yards.

Mark