Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 blackout load data for 200 gr bullet

ss+P

ok so i have finished my batch of brass and i am starting to work on my load data for the 300 BLK.

i am using some hornady 150 gr SST and some older spier points that i had laying around.

The powder i want to use is LIL GUN, mainly bc i could find it.

I have 10 Barnes TXP (i think that is the one) 200 gr bullets that i would like to load for some hunting reasons. i know it would be a subsonic load, but the deer are small and they get really close.

Does anyone have an load data on a 200 gr pill.

i have searched a little and can find all kinds of data for other weights.

While i am asking if you have any 180 gr load data for LIL GUN that would be great also

thanks in advance

Lil'gun will work well for subsonic 200 gr, but almost certainly will NOT cycle your AR. I have experimented with both carbine and pistol gas systems, and pretty much the only powder that reliably cycles a subsonic load in carbine gas is A1680. You may also have luck with RL-7, or H4198, but those are more finicky. I say this from experience, using an optimized system (standard CAR buffer, GI CAR spring, and well-lubed semi-auto carrier). If you are going to shoot alot of subs, I would also recommend enlarging the gas port to .125. Shooting with a suppressor increases backpressure and helps cycling alot too.

If you absolutely have to give Lil'gun a try, a good starting load with a 200-210 gr bullet is from 8.2 to 8.7 gr, with an OAL dependent on specific bullet. The recommended OAL for a 210 SMK is 2.120, and the Barnes is likely fairly long for weight so you may have to go a touch longer. A good guideline is for best feeding, you want to set the ogive of the bullet so it is the same diameter as the 223 round where it hits the forward rib of the magazine.

Also, for hunting, I would recommend scrounging up some 125 Pro-Hunters and using those instead. Fortunately Lil'gun is a very good supersonic powder. Subsonic rounds do not expand and are not the best choice for hunting.

Go to 300BLK forum for a cornucopia of knowledge on all things 300BLK.

Thanks for the reply. I have a bunch of 150 grain bullets that I am mostly going to load and hunt with. The Barnes 200 grain just looks bad ass so I was thinking of using that. Maybe I will just wait to get a better powder for subsonic and experiment with them later.

ok so i have finished my batch of brass and i am starting to work on my load data for the 300 BLK.

i am using some hornady 150 gr SST and some older spier points that i had laying around.

I have 10 Barnes TXP (i think that is the one) 200 gr bullets that i would like to load for some hunting reasons. i know it would be a subsonic load, but the deer are small and they get really close.

While i am asking if you have any 180 gr load data for LIL GUN that would be great also

thanks in advance

You wouldnt happen to have load data for those 150Gr-ers would you? Trying to use IMR4227 or 4198..but willing to buy powder too. I have some sierra HPBT tht I would like to use. I havent found anything solid enough to try out and about..Thanks

thanks in advance

That bullet is intended for .300 Mag rifle loads.

I am highly doubtful that the 200 gr Barnes will expand at all at the subsonic velocity you will get at that weight in .300 BLK. There are expanding bullets made for 300 BLK that work, but unless Barnes has come out with a new heavy bullet intended for subsonic speed, as a subsonic that thing will just zip thru soft tissue and make a .3" hole. I think for deer you would be better off getting some 110 gr Barnes Black Tips, which are made for .300 BLK, and you can load to 2400 fps.