Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Beretta Model 1301

bthp

Did anyone else here get to shoot the new (to the US) Model 1301 at the USPSA Multi Gun Nationals? Beretta put on a side match with it and you can check out the winner (Taran Butler) on You Tube - 5 steel and 2 flying clays in 1.89 seconds. Just Google Beretta Model 1301 and it should be one of the first videos that pops up.

If I remember correctly, it has an A400 receiver, but with the Extrema 2 gas system. This was supposed to be a weight savings feature over the A400's gas system. It also has a factory enlarged loading port, large cocking knob, oversized bolt release and 24" barrel (21 will also be available). It did not have the "Kick Off" system as the A400, but it was a very light gun. I like the A400 Extreme, but this gun was shorter, lighter and seemed to handle faster. I believe the rep said it would be available in June for around $1,100.

I was curious if anyone else who had an opportunity to shoot it had any other observations/opinions?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not get around to shooting it, but here are my impressions from handling it:

- Very light in the hands. Should be fast between targets.

- Loading port is nicely opened up.

- There is a fork on the carrier, but it is smaller than most and so some shooters may get away without having it welded.

- The safety is too far forwards (in front of trigger guard) so could be a bit slow during abandonment.

- Price is excellent - $1100MSRP as I recall, so hopefully a street price under $1k.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Kurt...I don't know if it is a blessing or a curse!

I do know that Roberto let me put some rounds though his gun during a round of sporting clays, not only did it handle well enough

to break clay's it runs well at speed. I could only out run it with light loads. Roberto knew that would that would happen

and had me power it with some 1250/1.1/8 oz loads and it hauls.

Me loves my Benelli's but the 1301 is a neat Power Tool!

My Beretta dealer called me the other day and said that the 21 inch version was available for order. I believe he said that the 24" would arrive later (September/October). He recently loaned me an A400 and I shot it at a local match. Nordic sent me a receiver tube nut, so I took my plus five tube off of my SX3 and put it on the A400. The odd thing was, with this tube on the Beretta, I was able to actually get plus six. The A400 had a 26" barrel, so the tube was about an inch shorter than the barrel. I believe the major difference in the two shotguns will be the kick off system and the gas system on the A400. The 1301 has the Extrema 2 gas system and no kickoff. This makes the 1301 about a pound lighter. The 1301 also has some 3 gun specific features that most people have done by a gunsmith. The A400 also only comes with a 26 or 28 inch barrel. The 1301 is 21 or 24. I've been holding off on getting the A400, so I can see what the feedback will be on the 1301 once it hits the street. I liked shooting the 1301 out in Vegas, but I do like that kick off system on the A400.

Hell! I think I've been shooting this shotty in major 3-gun matches for 7+ years. It would have been nice to have that dip in the vent rib for a flip up rear slug sight like the Benelli's have.

I got one. No mag extension, its a 6+1, came with one choke, an IC. Sending it back until they get their shit together. It's nice and light and may be good. Don't compare it to Roberto's custom made gun. I hate gun business bullshit.

I got one. No mag extension, its a 6+1, came with one choke, an IC. Sending it back until they get their shit together. It's nice and light and may be good. Don't compare it to Roberto's custom made gun. I hate gun business bullshit.

No way to import it with extensions on.

No kidding? We all know the laws. It is advertised as competition ready. It is not. But a good distributor would put the package together correctly before they shipped it off, because there is no source for tubes or chokes specific for this gun. Its a nice gun, but Beretta had no need to rush this thing without having better marketing description and actual knowledgeable distributors. God, I miss Interarms.

Willie, the gun should take a standard Beretta/Benelli Nova barrel nut. the tube is your choice for length. As for why no extension on it thats a federal guvment question. Benelli is having the same issues, with the performance M2, unless Benny puts one one when he ships them back they will not have an extension.

Edited by bigbrowndog