Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time Fitting a 1911 Barrel....

poison123

So I finally got got a threaded barrel for my MARs custom. In my first attempt to fit it I'm running into one issue I haven't really seen on any of the forums. Inserting the barrel hood first like one would normally do for hte barrel I can maybe get it to go in 1.1" into the slide before no "easy" amount of force will get it to go in further. I'm assuming I'm going to need to dykem blue it, and slowly sand down the OD of the chamber area to get to slide in nicely.

My question is...how loose should I make the fit, should I try to keep it nice and tight? Or make it fairly loose so it comes in and out fairly easy?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't appear to. I'm doing comparision from the barrel that was gunsmith fitted to it when it was built awhile back to this new "nighthawk custom threaded barrel". And it looks like its just slightly oversized in a few spots that need to be threaded right. Specifically right before the first lug area ahead of the chamber.

I'm running out to get some dykem blue and will take pictures of what I mean.

Edited by poison123

That area would not be "threaded" but is where material might need to be removed. Usually the barrel will need to be reduced slightly where the lugs fit up into the corresponding recesses in the top of the slide. However, the diameter of the barrel is usually reduced ahead of the lugs all the way to the end. Is this a "bull barrel" or a normal configuration one ??

Before I removed any material, I'd get a set of calipers and measure your barrel that is already fitted and compare the dimensions to your new barrel. You should be able to determine fairly quickly where the material need to be removed and how much.

Stock Barrel OD .686

NightHawk Barrel OD .691

As far as the barrel will go in:

IMG_20130426_162941_zpsb61f8dce.jpg

Top of the barrel with Blue and the marks:

IMG_20130426_163129_zpsa141869f.jpg

Both sides and bottoms look like this, no apparent rubbing:

IMG_20130426_163145_zpsccf7d36c.jpg

So basically my plan right now is to lap the top of the slide in those areas with 500 or 800 grit paper and work it down till it slides in.

Found where its binding at. Its actually where the OD of the bottom of the barrel meets the lower lug. I minorly sanded down that area of the side, so the area just about the bushing that would contact this area on the barrel and it fits great now.

Here's another question. It appears I'm getting good top log contact since when I press on the barrel and try to push it out I can't. But my problem at the moment is the firing pin hole is still looking like its a little low with how its lining up. Is the solution to this to lap the top lugs to remove just a little material to get it to get closer to a circle vs the oval its currently at?

Yes, but when you think you are getting close, fit the link to the barrel and use the bushing - don't know how your gun is set up - or screw the comp on and keep checking to see if it will go into battery. This will prevent taking too much of the barrel lugs. Once it will go into battery without undue force, but not drop any when pressed on the chamber while in battery, you will be there.

Also the further the lugs sit into the slide you may need to remove a little more material from the back of the hood. To check the centering put an empty case in the chamber and lock up the barrel then try and push the firing pin into the flash hole of the case through the slide. If you can push it in then the barrel lockup is centered if not you have a little more to go.

So concentrate on the lugs and the not the chamber portion of the barrel right?

And I actually already wasted a little bit of time doing the barrel link fitting.....that was interesting to say the least.

Yeah don't do anything to the chamber. Check the back of the barrel hood first if there is still to much material it will prevent the barrel from fully engaging the lugs as the link pushes the barrel up and it could bind.

Look at what jid2 did on page 10 of the CNC thread. It will show you where to look.

Also check out these vidz http://www.jackweigand.com/EBF1911.html

I know you don't have the tools but just substitute the mill and fancy jig for a file and a vise. It will show you the order and what to do.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Alright got about as far as I think I'm going to get tonight. Cut down the hood a little more, and I lapped the top lugs very very lightly. Now the Firing pin hole is almost perfect as I can tell, and pressing the firing pin through the primer hole is easy with the lightest of force.

Got it all assembled now and can not get it to go into full battery no matter what I do. If I let the slide slam shut it'll lock up to the point where the trigger will drop the hammer. But If I ride the slide down it won't made it far enough for the trigger to drop the hammer. I'm not really sure where to go next on it, any suggestions?

IMG_20130427_014852_zps28c5031c.jpg

I use a round needle file and leave the link in. I do not remove any material from the link. It concentrates your focus on the lugs and helps keep the file on the correct radius (This is how I was taught). I use a sharpie (dykem works too) to guide even removal of material. Make a pass re-ink and make another pass rinse and repeat. Check by putting the slide stop and barrel in the gun and once it locks up you are there. There may still be that slight gap at the back of the slide and does not line up, that is ok. If you keep removing material until the slide meets the frame that , most of the time, is a touch to far for optimum lock up.

In the vid I am just giving the idea of the technique. This barrel has been fit and I was making room for the video. If I were really fitting this way I would be making shorter more deliberate strokes with the file.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3M5WEBRUk9KMmQ2bUhhYjVLWXc/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by StraightUp_OG