Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

The round comes completely out of the mag tube. Although I have had the malfunction where the round is 2/3 stuck in the tube. It's hard to say if you can depress the bolt release at all since I've only had this happen while on the clock and am just trying to get it cleared. I do believe there is a little movement in the bolt release, but hitting the bolt release alone won't clear the jam. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/19/2017 at 6:16 PM, louu said:

Maybe just try calling stoger on the phone, not email, and ask them. If it's not supposed to do that they will probably just send you a new one. 

I got a new inertia spring from midwest, with the factory stock it cycles 3 dram fine and kinda will run 2 3/4 dram if I hold it lightly. With the steadygrip stock I can still induce a failure if I grip it at all with 3 dram and 2 3/4 dr was worthless, as much as I like the feel of the pistol grip I guess it has to go. 

I got a brand new M3k and shot 50 rounds of buckshot and birdshot to break it in.  I did have a few FTF.  I've been able to reproduce it when hand cycling as well. The issue is the following shell will get stuck on the lifter.  I can see the brass rim is friction fit on both sides of the receiver.  Is it supposed to be this way?  If i barely touch the lifter upwards it will successfully throw the shell up and chamber it.

Edited by FunkyTownAggie

Hi all,
I've got a very disappointing malfuntion with my M3K. Occasionally it automatically makes second shot, while I'm pressing trigger only once.

This began after 6-7 thousand rounds, and now it happens once per 100 rounds on average. Issue is not with ammo, because auto-shots happen both on light loads that I use for training and heavy loads used during matches. I tried to install new firing pin, firing pin spring and firing pin retaining pin, but it didn't help...

Did anyone came across this malfunction? What is the possible reason?

EDIT: Ooops, my apologies for asking a question that has been already discussed. I didn't know it is called "double". Will carefully read all 131 pages of this topic :)

Edited by EgorD

• 2 weeks later...

I’m interested in picking up a M3000/M3K for 3Gun and have read the last 31 pages of this thread.  I don’t have any experience with semi-auto shotguns, but so far I’ve seen a lot of comments with issues such as FTE/FTF among others that have me a bit concerned.  Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the impression that I’m getting is that there is a lot of fiddling required to get these guns to run.  Is this part of the trade-off for the low entry price or is it typical for semi-auto shotguns in general to be finicky?  Where would a stock M3000/M3K and an MOA competition package gun fall in a list of most reliable to least reliable shotguns for 3gun?

Edited by TalkingMonkey

7 hours ago, TalkingMonkey said:

I’m interested in picking up a M3000/M3K for 3Gun and have read the last 31 pages of this thread.  I don’t have any experience with semi-auto shotguns, but so far I’ve seen a lot of comments with issues such as FTE/FTF among others that have me a bit concerned.  Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the impression that I’m getting is that there is a lot of fiddling required to get these guns to run.  Is this part of the trade-off for the low entry price or is it typical for semi-auto shotguns to be finicky?  Where would a stock M3000/M3K and an MOA competition package gun fall in a list of most reliable to least reliable shotguns for 3gun?

In my experience, a lot of those two issues are related to ammo.  Shotgun ammo over the past few years seems to have a lot more cost reduction than before. I can run Rio ammo in my M2, but not in my Super Nova. The plastic may be softer than the Herters that I get at Cabelas. The Herters runs just fine in the Super Nova and the M2. Winchester Universal that was sold at Walmart in  100 round bulk packs had very inconsistent crimps, those would ruin your day if you didn't cull the funky ones out as you were loading your shotshell caddies. 

Is anyone mounting a red dot on their M3K? I have a Burris FF3 and Vortex SPARC II that aren't currently assigned to any gun and thought it might be interesting to try on the shotgun. Is it just a matter of buying the picatinny rail and throwing it on? Or are there other better options?

Thanks,
- Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Is anyone mounting a red dot on their M3K? I have a Burris FF3 and Vortex SPARC II that aren't currently assigned to any gun and thought it might be interesting to try on the shotgun. Is it just a matter of buying the picatinny rail and throwing it on? Or are there other better options?

Thanks,
- Cuz

There's at least one posted several pages back in this thread.   I just picked one up and thinking about setting it up as a back-up open gun.  You can get the mount for around $80.00

MidwayUSA

Hi, on the subject of light loads with the m3000, I had been having problems for the last year with cycling, the gun would always eject and chamber the next cartridge, but the bolt wouldn't rotate to the correct position, I'd tried polishing the mag tube and bolt carrier which helped slightly but still the problem would occur about 1 in 20 shots. Yesterday morning when cleaning the bolt assembly I noticed when pushing back the rotating part into the bolt body, it would jam sometimes and not rotate so I took it apart to see what was causing this, on the rotating part of the bolt there is a radius leading into a chamfer which causes it to rotate when pushed back against the pin that holds it in, the chamfer is at a fairly steep angle and this was what caused it to jam, I took about 5-10 degrees off the chamfer with a file and the polished it, when reassembled the bolt rotated flawlessly, I went to local clay shooting range and fired 170 shots without a problem, sorry that was so long winded but hopefully this might help some of you guys. 

• 3 weeks later...

I long ago replaced my extractor with an m2. I’m having 3 m3ks purchased for a college team (more on that later). Instead of swapping those out I think I’ve seen the latest is they can simply be finely sanded/polished to get rid of the roughness. As their funds are low that was what I was planning but hoping to get a confirmation from those in the know.
Thanks

I replaced one of my M3000 extractors with the M2 at 1400 rounds.  It never gave me any trouble, but I did it as a precaution.  My 2nd M3000 is still running the Stoeger extractor at 940 rounds without issue.  IIRC, the issue is that the metal is a bit sub-par compared to the M2 and therefor may not last as long.

Just changed out my extractor on my M3K....250 shells today without a hiccup.  I shot my first match with it three weeks ago and it was %$#@ near every other shell FTE......Hopefully the trend today continues....

Thank god for this website and YouTube.....game changer

• 1 month later...

With only 131 pages I thought I would add to it. I finally got around to doing the loading port on my M3000. I took a different approach than others as I hate filing to the degree necessary on this shotgun. I made a jig out of some plywood and used a laminate trimmer with a ¼” carbide bit to take the bulk of the material off. Then I proceeded to finish file and then polish the area. The key to it is making stops (depth, back, front) for the router and taking accurate measurements before you cut. Post man said I should be receiving my package from MOA precision today. A big shout out to Mark at MOA who was very helpful with my order and got it shipped very fast.

IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

Edited by mpeltier

Hey Everyone, hoping you folks could help me out. i cleaned my m3000 today and when i got it back together i realized that the bolt would no longer lock back and that the lift would no longer move with the bolt. Any ideas what this could be? is something broken or am i missing something simple?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone i got a Stoeger M3K after finally given up on a very unreliable Mossy JmPro.  Sadly the legendary reliability was missing on my new gun. Just trying to load one round met with such crazy resistance that double never mind quad loading was impossible.

A quick read on the web pointed to shell latch profile and its springs. Shaping polishing and trimming did nothing. I found that the shell lifter wasn't giving enough relief for the cartridge and so it would hang up on the plastic/brass junction of cartridge never mind the rim.

The only fix I could see was to dremel the half moon shaped underside of the lifter to give more room for the shell, Which improved things.  I've read back to page 90 but found no one else having this issue although a short clip was posted on You tube showing this problem. On top of this ive had the Benelli click issue. I've run in the gun in with 200rd 34g high brass and now have around 750rds through. Any advice greatly received.

20 minutes ago, woodywouldnot said:

Hi everyone i got a Stoeger M3K after finally given up on a very unreliable Mossy JmPro.  Sadly the legendary reliability was missing on my new gun. Just trying to load one round met with such crazy resistance that double never mind quad loading was impossible.

A quick read on the web pointed to shell latch profile and its springs. Shaping polishing and trimming did nothing. I found that the shell lifter wasn't giving enough relief for the cartridge and so it would hang up on the plastic/brass junction of cartridge never mind the rim.

The only fix I could see was to dremel the half moon shaped underside of the lifter to give more room for the shell, Which improved things.  I've read back to page 90 but found no one else having this issue although a short clip was posted on You tube showing this problem. On top of this ive had the Benelli click issue. I've run in the gun in with 200rd 34g high brass and now have around 750rds through. Any advice greatly received.

Send it back to stoger, they should take care of it. A couple guys at my club had some problems with it not going In to battery, sent them back and now they run perfect. Pretty sure it was free too, just cost shipping one way.

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, usmc1094 said:

This is a friends new m3k.  Loading 1 shell is fine, anymore than that this happens about every 5th time.  Any idea what I can do to get it going?

Looks like they took too much material away from the mag tube allowing the shells to lift and bind

I would have to say that it looks like too much material has been removed...and in just the wrong place.  While it looks to some like we all just grind away at our guns, RCI, MOA, Rose Action, etc have developed specific, tested cuts that avoid issues like this.  It is possible that additional port work could potentially(maybe) fix this...in all likelihood you will probably end up with the follower coming out into the receiver in 6 months.  In all likelihood a RCI capture follower tube is going to be needed...you can try it yourself...or you can have Mark Roth do it if you want to make sure it is done right. 

First off the video CLEARLY shows a port that has been opened way up, it didn't come from the factory that way! It is allowing the crimp of the second shell to ride over the rim of the first shell and this is what is causing the bind. Two objects can't coexist in the same space ment for one!

Secondly, the first "trouble" was not caused by the port being too small it was caused by the fly cut on the bottom of the bolt carrier being improperly cut causing the lifter not to depress enough causing the single shells to bind. TWO COMPLTELY DIFFERENT PROBLEMS!!! Like I said in my P.M. it is amazing how much a improper fly cut, off by 5-10 thousands of an inch can end up causing so much damage......when one doesn't understand what is happening and just starts grinding.

Is this gun in Sweden by chance???

BTW about 1 in 10 of the Stoegers has the fly cut in the wrong place which causes hard loading/ binding right from the factory. I also ran into this on an M2 middle of last year. I was absolutely surprised that a Benelli had this problem, but there it was. I had never seen that in Benelli ever.....well can't say that again. It was so bad a shell could not be inserted! Don't they check things like this at the factory?.......NOPE!!

2 hours ago, kurtm said:

First off the video CLEARLY shows a port that has been opened way up, it didn't come from the factory that way! It is allowing the crimp of the second shell to ride over the rim of the first shell and this is what is causing the bind. Two objects can't coexist in the same space ment for one!

Secondly, the first "trouble" was not caused by the port being too small it was caused by the fly cut on the bottom of the bolt carrier being improperly cut causing the lifter not to depress enough causing the single shells to bind. TWO COMPLTELY DIFFERENT PROBLEMS!!! Like I said in my P.M. it is amazing how much a improper fly cut, off by 5-10 thousands of an inch can end up causing so much damage......when one doesn't understand what is happening and just starts grinding.

Is this gun in Sweden by chance???

First off your attitude is garbage! Your BIG words don't help anyone.  And the port isn't opened hardly at all.  What you see in the video must be miss leading. I really wish you could see it with your own eyes because you would change you opinion. Secondly its not the fly cut because a bolt and trigger group out of a functional  (well over 7000 rounds) stoeger had the exact same problem in this receiver before any mods.  I came to you because Im sure you know your sh*t, but you always have a horrible attitude.  Your not the end all be all!  I may not be some super well known gunsmith or shooter, but I'm certainly no idiot. And no the gun is not in Sweden. 

Its not getting stuck on the crip of the second shell, you don't even need a second shell for it to happen.

I'm sorry I asked your opinion, it certainly won't EVER happen again, and I wont ever respond to another one of your posts.  Enjoy the rest of your evening.