Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tru-Ball = reliability, but these are always all over NO consistency. Liked the  Flocchi 1150 fps they worked and were very soft on recoi,l  but due to the reliability issue I went with the Federals I've been trying  to get these again, but they seem to be discontinued. Is there anything that's grouping for you guys::: 

52 minutes ago, BOOM said:

Tru-Ball = reliability, but these are always all over NO consistency. Liked the  Flocchi 1150 fps they worked and were very soft on recoi,l  but due to the reliability issue I went with the Federals I've been trying  to get these again, but they seem to be discontinued. Is there anything that's grouping for you guys::: 

What choke are you running? I just tested these https://www.midwayusa.com/product/586260/federal-premium-vital-shok-low-recoil-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-oz-truball-hollow-point-rifled-slug-box-of-5 the day before yesterday. Perfectly acceptable groups at 50 yards out of my M3K. Liked the Fiocchi's as well but the reliability of cycling sucked.

Good all round LM choke. Tru-ball has (always) seemed inconstant on accuracy at least for my Stoeger , but listing to other's here there the  most reliable. No never have run a Fiocchi 1300 fps, only 1150 fps very soft shooting. How did  they compare to Tru-ball in your Stoeger  

Whats the lightest Target load you all have reliably shot through your m3000s?

i've stuck to the recommended 1 1/8 and 3DRAM so far, and im just curious if i can shoot anything lighter. As a newbie, if i want something with less recoil, should i be looking for a lighter shot load or less DRAMS/FPS?

I've shot Winchester AA 1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2s @ 1145 fps quite often without problems.  Mine has a long mag extension and holds 15 rounds so I'm adding a lot of weight.  I was surprised when they worked so well.

On 9/17/2016 at 7:57 AM, Cuz said:

Anyone shooting the Remington managed recoil slugs in theirs?  Do they function reliably?  Any good for accuracy?  I already got a case of them so I will be using them at least to start.

They shoot great out of mine.  

Anyone having/had any issues with bolt not locking to rear? Can't get it to load from mag tube with either bottom "benelli button" or blue bolt release/lifter button either... I can load single shot at a time,

my brother took it apart to attempt to go hunting with it and I think he either dropped it or messed something up attempting to put in the orange limiter...

i just lubed it up and put my extended tube and such back on and still can't get her going... after messing with blue bolt/mag release Allen screw, was able to get some dummy rounds to feed, but two fly out and get stuck behind lifter...

any input appreciated...

Your probably right and I think that whole mechanism is the problem... it looks bent toward the receiver instead of floating parallel to it... might have messed something inside that's supposed to catch the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to decide on an extension for an M3K I have on order. I see lots of photos and info on the NC extension, but not so much for the Taccom Extreme. I find myself drawn to the Taccom and they are currently offering free shipping and stabilizer. Anyone have any pics of their M3K (or 24" M3000) with Taccom installed? Do they line up about equal with the NC extensions?

I am new to 3GN and plan on shooting Factory, but perhaps PCC or Practical. I figured the +4 extension would prevent the need for a plug, which sounds good. On the other hand, it seems most shooters eventually gravitate to the longer tubes. Was considering a +4 and a +5 to have the option of 8+1, 9+1, and 13+1. Another option is two +4's, but think the +5 option may be nicest aesthetically.

Couldn't find anything online about it...
So I attempted to take the receiver apart... as I backed out carrier pin the latch and button reset themselves into place. (They were crooked)
Pushed the pin back into place and now the bolt locks back and the latch releases new shells into the breach :)

Saw the carrier and parts online for cheap, but didn't want to buy them until I knew for sure I needed them.

I guess I just needed to experiment with the parts and a more detailed disassembly. Just wish there was some troubleshooting info out there...

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, SlappyAbbot said:

Trying to decide on an extension for an M3K I have on order. I see lots of photos and info on the NC extension, but not so much for the Taccom Extreme. I find myself drawn to the Taccom and they are currently offering free shipping and stabilizer. Anyone have any pics of their M3K (or 24" M3000) with Taccom installed? Do they line up about equal with the NC extensions?

I am new to 3GN and plan on shooting Factory, but perhaps PCC or Practical. I figured the +4 extension would prevent the need for a plug, which sounds good. On the other hand, it seems most shooters eventually gravitate to the longer tubes. Was considering a +4 and a +5 to have the option of 8+1, 9+1, and 13+1. Another option is two +4's, but think the +5 option may be nicest aesthetically.

I was in the same position a couple weeks ago with my new M3K, I ended up ordering the MOA precision extension and low drag follower. With that said I went with the +6 tube to give me a total of 10 in the tube.

On 9/26/2016 at 0:43 PM, bigbob21 said:

Couldn't find anything online about it...
So I attempted to take the receiver apart... as I backed out carrier pin the latch and button reset themselves into place. (They were crooked)
Pushed the pin back into place and now the bolt locks back and the latch releases new shells into the breach :)

Saw the carrier and parts online for cheap, but didn't want to buy them until I knew for sure I needed them.

I guess I just needed to experiment with the parts and a more detailed disassembly. Just wish there was some troubleshooting info out there...

When you reassemble the trigger group into the receiver you must press the bolt release (blue button) in toward the receiver, and hold it in, while you insert the trigger group. This will let all the internal parts line up correctly (and not cause the lock up you originally experienced)

4 hours ago, SpaceMan said:

I was in the same position a couple weeks ago with my new M3K, I ended up ordering the MOA precision extension and low drag follower. With that said I went with the +6 tube to give me a total of 10 in the tube.

Thanks for the input. I opted for the Taccom +5, an additional +1, and their follower.

On 9/13/2016 at 8:33 PM, Cuz said:

Koreytm,

Keep me posted on how that thing runs.  I'm trying to figure out what ammo I'm supposed to use to "break it in".  The manual just says to shoot a few boxes of full power ammo, but what the heck is that?  Or more accurately, what is the cheapest ammo I can buy that meets the spec of full power ammo?  I am really, really hoping that once broken in, my Stoeger runs the Federal 1 1/8 oz 3 dram 7.5 shot target loads because I went and bought a "bunch" of them...

So it's been awhile since I've been on here, but I'm finally getting a chance to catch up.  In the past month I stripped the gun, ported it out, grooved the trigger guard, and filed down the front edge of the little lever that keeps the shell in the magazine.  It loads great now.  I'm probably going to strip it down again and cut a little farther forward to open up the follower more...I still have to push my thumb inside a little farther than I'd like.

As for shooting, I ran about 125 full power rounds (Super Magnum turkey loads down through standard duck/pheasant loads) a few weeks ago.  Last week I put 90 light rounds through it and had many FTEs.  I'm pretty sure (based on what I've read on here) that it had more to do with poor quality shell casings as it did with power.  I'll post a video of that in another post.

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

Edited by koreytm

So here's the breakdown on shooting light loads:

I had a half case of Federal target loads left from trap season.  These are the cheap option at my club ($63.30/case) and they are "lights"...1145fps, 8 shot, 1 1/8oz, 2 3/4 dram.

I honestly didn't have high hopes based on what I've read, but was still hopeful.  In the end I was disappointed.  I've got the +6 tube, so I ended up shooting 7 sets of 12 rounds (10+1+1 ghost).

The first set was flawless, all 12 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Set 2 had one FTE in the middle of the set.  The spent round remained fully in the chamber as if the extractor didn't touch it, with a fresh shell loaded behind it holding it in the chamber. (So the action is open, holding the new round up against the spent one that still in the chamber/barrel.)

Set 3 had one FTE exactly like set 2, as well as 2 more FTEs where the spent round was fully withdrawn, but not ejected.  The fresh shell under it was pushed up against it, holding it in place.

Set 4 and 5 each had one FTE where they spent round was fully withdrawn, but not ejected, new round pushing up from the lifter.  At this point it seemed like it was always the 4th or 5th round, but I think that was just coincidence.

Set 6 had one FTE identical to sets 4 and 5, then 3 FTEs where the round was only drawn partway back before the extractor let go (see video).  This set also had one FTF where the fresh shell was loaded, but it acted like the bolt was locked back or not fully into battery.  Unfortunately I didn't realize it was an FTF, I thought it was another FTE and just pulled the bolt back to eject the shell without checking to see if it was fully forward in battery.

Set 7 only had one partial FTE (same as sets 4&5, like the video)

Set 7.5  A buddy traded me 4 (that's all his stock Benelli can hold right now) field/clay/dove loads that are just a touch higher power.  I loaded 2 of those, then my last 2 Federal lights, then 2 more of his.  Those 6 rounds ran flawlessly.

I should also mention that it didn't matter how fast or slow I shot, it had just as many FTEs when taking one shot at a time as I did pulling the trigger as fast as I could.

So as you can see in the video, I think the "lights" have enough power to operate the action.  The bolt ends up going all the way back, but the shell lets go of the extractor.  In all fairness, this is the stock Stoeger extractor, and I have not taken it apart.  From what I read from Tom, it seems like the Benelli extractor and spring isn't the optimal answer.  As far as the groove being a little rough where the extractor goes, again I didn't take the extractor out, but it did not seem to have any roughness when moving the extractor around by hand.

My gut feeling is just that these cheap Federals are have such poor quality control/wide variance in shape.  I still have 50 rounds left, so the next step is to measure them with a caliper...maybe I'll get around to that in another month...

Edited by koreytm

Hello ktm. Nice port work.

I bought an M3K in March of this year. Ran fine with 2 3/4 DR Estate and 3 DR Walmart Federal bulk pack for about 500 shells. Then started failing exactly as yours is now. Even had a FTExt with a 1oz 1500 FPS slug. In May I replaced the extractor and spring with Benelli parts. I also smoothed the edges of the extractor channel with a jewelers file. Little bit at a time until both upper and lower edges felt just slightly rounded instead of sharp. I have not had a FTExt or FTEject since. I even ran a box of Herters 1 1/8 oz at 1050 FPS LR birdshot loads with a full 12 round tube and 1 in the chamber. I'm not sure if it was the parts exchange or the smoothing of the extractor channel edges that fixed the FTE issue. But it is no longer a problem after several thousand shells of various brand 2 3/4 DR and 3 DR birdshot, and full power slugs. 

1 hour ago, notfast said:

Hello ktm. Nice port work.

I bought an M3K in March of this year. Ran fine with 2 3/4 DR Estate and 3 DR Walmart Federal bulk pack for about 500 shells. Then started failing exactly as yours is now. Even had a FTExt with a 1oz 1500 FPS slug. In May I replaced the extractor and spring with Benelli parts. I also smoothed the edges of the extractor channel with a jewelers file. Little bit at a time until both upper and lower edges felt just slightly rounded instead of sharp. I have not had a FTExt or FTEject since. I even ran a box of Herters 1 1/8 oz at 1050 FPS LR birdshot loads with a full 12 round tube and 1 in the chamber. I'm not sure if it was the parts exchange or the smoothing of the extractor channel edges that fixed the FTE issue. But it is no longer a problem after several thousand shells of various brand 2 3/4 DR and 3 DR birdshot, and full power slugs. 

Thanks for the input.  The bulk of the porting was done on a mill, so easy to make it look nice.  That just left a little hand work with a die-grinder and sandpaper to round the edges and taper the front edge into the follower.

Based on what Tom from MOA has said on previous pages of this post, I'm guessing it's the filing/smoothing of the extractor channel.  I've got 50 rounds left, so I'll try filing mine down and putting the stock parts back in.  If that doesn't work then I guess I'll be ordering the Benelli parts.  Thanks again!

Edited by koreytm