Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have problems with both eyes open... My right eye dominance is not particularly strong so I am constantly squinting a bit to for e my right eye to take over... Clear tape is not quite enough to force my right eye to take over... Still need to practice to build this skill...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`m still using the tape after about 6 months of trying.

Without the tape I can lock onto the front sight pretty good with my (more)dominant eye but in a match when things get fast and furious I have to squint the other so I can find it quick. And even then it`s still pretty iffy.

But the worst part is I still see two targets that are both equally clear when focussing on the front sight. Really really messes up a match.

So I`m sticking to the tape for now. Used it enough that I don`t notice it`s there at all.

I`m still using the tape after about 6 months of trying.

Without the tape I can lock onto the front sight pretty good with my (more)dominant eye but in a match when things get fast and furious I have to squint the other so I can find it quick. And even then it`s still pretty iffy.

But the worst part is I still see two targets that are both equally clear when focussing on the front sight. Really really messes up a match.

So I`m sticking to the tape for now. Used it enough that I don`t notice it`s there at all.

You should see two sets of sights, not two targets.

As stated previously... sight focus, but target convergence.

IMO, to many people stop trying and chalk it up to a eye dominance problem. It takes practice.

My Dad had me shooting as soon as I was strong enough to pull the trigger on a pellet gun in the back yard. He never let me close an eye since day one. Irons, RDS, scope, doesnt matter... its natural for me to shoot both eyes open because its all I've ever known.

Take a the tip of a pencil and hold it in front of a picture on the wall. Without moving the pencil or your head ractice moving your focus & convergence around. Make yourself see two pictures and one pencil, then make yourself see two pencils and one picture. Also practice seeing the picture on the wall clearly, then move your focus to the pencil and see it clearly. It will help you get a feel for how your eyes work, and what you have the ability to see.

At some point, practice focusing hard on the pencil tip. See only one pencil, and see it clearly. While keeping the clear focus on the pencil, let your eyes drift to converge on the picture. There should now be one fuzzy picture on the wall, and the pencil should be "split" into two pencils, but one should still be crystal clear. It will take practice.

Just my 2 cents.

Tahk a small piece of cardboard and place it in front of the front sight on a pellet pistol or 22 rimfire, it should be so you can see sights, but not the target. Practice shooting using both eyes until the non dominate eye sees target, dominate sees sights. Both are in focus when I shoot, just with differant eyes.

Tahk a small piece of cardboard and place it in front of the front sight on a pellet pistol or 22 rimfire, it should be so you can see sights, but not the target. Practice shooting using both eyes until the non dominate eye sees target, dominate sees sights. Both are in focus when I shoot, just with differant eyes.

Well....

Technically, I dont think it is humanly possible to accomodate they eyes for different focal planes independantly of each other. Hence, we shoot clear sights and fuzzy target.

I'm not saying that NO ONE has ever trained their eyes do such (although it would be surprising), but I dont think it is something the average shooter should strive for or expect.

Flack Jacket said "if you left eyed, embrace it and use what you have, don't force the right eye to be dominant. (Long guns are the exception)IMO then you are wasting time on developing your eye dominance rather than developing your shooting."

Curious why you think "Long guns are the exception"? Being left eye dominant it never occurred to me to train my right eye to be dominant but seemed much easier to adapt to right handed guns when I didn't have left handed versions (I have about half and half). I'm relatively ambidextrous though so never found it to be an issue and the idea of retraining my eye had never occurred to me. My kids are just getting into the shooting and hunting and sure enough, half of them are left eye dominant by nature. Should this be "retrained"?

Edited by HighCountryStalker

I think what Flak Jacket meant is that it's easier and simpler to be a RH rifle shooter than a lefty. If you can steer them in that direction right off the bat, you'll avoid complications associated with shooting from the port side.

My eye dominance made me a LH rifleman long ago but despite the developments to accommodate southpaws over the last thirty-ish years, I still wish I weren't one!

In Rifledom, choosing a shoulder is a long-running debate but the issue becomes less relevant with each new development and it's really not that big a deal to begin with. Hell, even the USMC let me shoot lefthanded after I demonstrated that it could be done! Go with the dominant eye, IMO.

My two cents, worth every penny!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Like a few others, I had this issue develop. I have had PRK done twice, and my eye dominance over the past few years has shifted from my right eye to my left eye, as my left eye has been able to be better corrected. Previously I was always able to shoot pistol with both eyes open, but over the last 4 years or so, have found myself having to squint that left eye now to keep things clear and not have my brain fight which sight picture is correct. I've spent too long shooting right hand and right eye to switch over my dominant hand at this point, so I have moved into squinting my left eye. As far as shooting I see no difference- it just diminishes my peripheral vision as you would expect. Luckily with rifle I don't have the eye dominance issues like I do with the pistol, so I guess my brain doesn't have any issues with a red dot optic at that distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Is a headache normal after a few hours of shooting with taped over glasses?

Takes about 15 seconds of trying the tape over glasses thing to get a splitting headache.

My kid walks around trap matches for days straight like that. Hell just seeing her starts to give me a headache.

I'd go with normal for many.

-424D57

I had this for problem for years. I even started a thread a while back about how it would never go away. This year, I started to take dryfire and other practice a little more seriously, and all of the sudden it's not an issue anymore. It's like my eyes/mind adjusted after they really got the message of what I needed to do. Who'da thunk?

• 4 weeks later...

Shooting is probably the only time in my life that having a lazy eye has helped me, lol. I am generally only ABLE to shoot with both eyes open, as squinting one eye seems like a pain in the butt. See, my left eye is lazy and my eyes don't like to work as a team. When i bring the sights up my left eye slants off to the left a little, and it's like everything i'm seeing is funneled through my right eye. When your eyes stop working as a team your brain puts the focus on one eye, until they come back together. The benefit of my crappy lazy eye is i never get any type of double vision, i can focus very clear while being comfortable, and i still have the use of my peripheral vision because both eyes are still open. And it's not something i have to make happen, when the sights come up, my googly eye goes out!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Yes, keep shooting. When you are shooting a stage do you notice double vision? Your mind will start ignoring the extra image. If it doesnt, you might not be aiming with the correct eye.

Agree. Check yourself to determine your dominant eye, the make sure you're using that eye when you shoot. If you shoot righty and are left eye dominant, you'll need to either cant the gun slightly to the left, and/or maybe tilt your head a little to the right.

I have always had a tough time shooting with both eyes open. I started shooting Open last year and it took me awhile to stop closing my left eye. It took me a little bit to get use to keeping both eyes open, but worked things out in a short time.

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2013 at 9:37 PM, flack jacket said:

Have you established which of your eyes is the dominant eye?

PxW3G4f.jpg?1

After establishing that, align the sights behind that dominant eye and the "double vision" should be gone and be able to focus on front sight.

Perhaps you are right handed and left eye domininant like myself?

Taping over the non-dominant eye helps if the dominance is not distinct, but if you left eyed, embrace it and use what you have, don't force the right eye to be dominant. (Long guns are the exception)

IMO then you are wasting time on developing your eye dominance rather than developing your shooting.

Good luck

DVC

This is awesome, thank you for sharing this!