Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore and Steel Challenge matches

Tom Mainus

For those that are using practiscore to score steel challenge matches, how are you setting up practiscore? Using it as a USPSA match, time plus, time plus with points. Curious as to how everyone is doing it, and what is the easiest way to do it.

Tom

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using time plus. we set up like normal and if theres a penalty the ro calls the time with the penalty added in. we manually removed the throw out run. it works pretty well. I scan through all the shooters to make sure they all have throw aways before i post the scores.

• 3 weeks later...

CellGuy - you write "we manually removed the throw out run" - If a stage has five strings, then are you simply zeroing out the slowest string?

and " I scan through all the shooters to make sure they all have throw aways before i post the scores" - I'm trying to find a fast way to do that without visiting each shooter on each stage. I don't see a way to view all the shooters' strings' times on all teh stages (or even on one stage) in a single view. Is there a way to do that?

This has been very helpful - at last I can make an argument that Steel match fees help pay for the PS equipment - Thanks!

Bill

CellGuy - you write "we manually removed the throw out run" - If a stage has five strings, then are you simply zeroing out the slowest

yes... the ros know to do it at the end and we tell the shooter "throwing out x.xx"

and " I scan through all the shooters to make sure they all have throw aways before i post the scores" - I'm trying to find a fast way to do that without visiting each shooter on each stage. I don't see a way to view all the shooters' strings' times on all teh stages (or even on one stage) in a single view. Is there a way to do that?

This has been very helpful - at last I can make an argument that Steel match fees help pay for the PS equipment - Thanks!

Bill

also correct, i just tap in and out of each shooter looking for a 0.00 string... really only takes a couple minutes.

Actually our ruger rimfire match generally paid for our devices last year. way worth it. we ran something like 100 shooters thru one day and within 5 min of the last shooter we posted scores... everyone was amazed it didnt take an hour or more.

• 2 weeks later...

With 1.1.4 this method no nonger works. You now cannot enter a time of 0.00, PractiScore won't accept it. Found this out after the first Squad started shooting today! Right now all 5 strings are counted.....to fix this I'd have to go change versions and then go through each stage and change 260+ entries...

I sure wish Steel Challenge would soon be fully supported!

Bob

With 1.1.4 this method no nonger works. You now cannot enter a time of 0.00, PractiScore won't accept it. Found this out after the first Squad started shooting today! Right now all 5 strings are counted.....to fix this I'd have to go change versions and then go through each stage and change 260+ entries...

I sure wish Steel Challenge would soon be fully supported!

SC support is in the works.

In the mean time we posted 1.1.5 build for Android to allow entering 0 time in timeplus stages with multiple strings.

I am really sorry for the trouble with 1.1.4 version.

Thank You! For fixing it.

What's the timeframe for Steel Challenge support? User defined Divisons, classes and penalty/bonus is awesome. It would be cool to be able to throw out X many strings. To see how results would shift with all 5 strings compared to the best 4. Could there be a seting to toggle between 1 and all Strings used to calculate Final Results?

Bob

That's awesome news. I can't wait for the SC version to come out. Then I can kiss paper scoresheets good bye for all of our local matches (IDPA, USPSA and SCSA). Will Practiscore support uploading to the Steel Challenge classifier system (or exporting to EZSteel)?

Can we help you guys in any way? I noticed their isn't any sort of donate button on the Practiscore page.

I just remembered that not all SCSA stages have 5 strings. Outer Limits just has 4.

Outer Limits, which will be the best three out of four runs.

Bob

You set the strings when you build the match in each stage. I run the steel match for our club and have been using PS since last summer it's works great everyone here likes having the scores before they leave the range. It even help with take down as I don't give out my code till all our toys or most of the steel is put away. It will be great when they do get the steel section working but we have found it works great for us. If someone said I had to score again on paper I would prob just become just a shooter again and let someone take the md over

• 1 month later...

I just remembered that not all SCSA stages have 5 strings. Outer Limits just has 4.

Bob

You set the strings when you build the match in each stage. I run the steel match for our club and have been using PS since last summer it's works great everyone here likes having the scores before they leave the range. It even help with take down as I don't give out my code till all our toys or most of the steel is put away. It will be great when they do get the steel section working but we have found it works great for us. If someone said I had to score again on paper I would prob just become just a shooter again and let someone take the md over

What code are you talking about? Can you export the results and import into EZSteel? Thanks

I have a Perl script that I can take a Steel Challenge match from Practiscore and crank it through that zeros the worst strings.

Basically, I defined a 'template' match with all the SC stages. When you run a match, you just delete the stages you're not using. Register your shooters, shoot the match, get the final results. Crank it through the script, and it produced a new Practiscore file that you import as a new match, then post the results to Practiscore.com

The reason you get a "new" match back is because each match contains a unique identifier, or UUID. If you use the template's UUID and upload results, next time you run another match using the same template, you'd overwrite the results from the last match. So in addition to zeroing the worst strings, it sets a new UUID.

I plan on webifying that utility in the very near future. In the mean time, if you'd like my template match and for me to crank the resulting match through the script and email you back the new match file, email me at jcwren@jcwren.com, and let me know. I'll also need your club name as you'd like it to appear and the SC club number.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob

What code are you talking about? Can you export the results and import into EZSteel? Thanks

The sink code off my device most of my shooters have the app on there phone and they leave with the scores

They love it

Sorry took so long to reply been on the go for awhile

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking for volunteers willing to test SC support in new PractiScore. Android only for now. Please email support@practiscore.com

Also, if you are running scholastic steel challenge and interested to run PractiScore for those, please also let us know.

• 4 weeks later...

When will the iOS version be available?

When it is ready. :)

I haven't check yet but will this support export/import to EZ Steel? Or can it be uploaded directly to the SC results page? Thanks!

Unfortunately both answers are no. I don't think we have a copy of EZ Steel application and have no idea if that app support any kind of import.

Those are valid concerns and I'd recommend to contact support@practiscore.com as well as inform USPSA (probably trough your Area director) about your interest in submitting SC match scores from PractiScore app.

Email sent to support. I will write the A6 Director for this support.

Good luck with getting any support from the A6 director, maybe Jay Corn, if he's elected will be more helpful.

• 3 months later...

Any updates on getting this in iOS? I have used the Android version for two matches now and love it. I already use my iPad as my master for my USPSA matches and would love to use the same master for my Steel Challenge matches also...Thanks for any updates!

Again, thanks for the great software!!