Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've had a massive breakthrough over the last couple weeks.

DonovanM

You might try this on static targets with a shotgun - just tbe sure to feel the gun pause (or stop) on each target before you hit the trigger.

yes sir will try next session

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what you think is slow with a shotgun most likely isnt. Perception is not usually reality. especially comparing longguns to sidearms.

To build on what Brian just said up there, wait for the gun to stop before you break each shot.

if that still seems slow, which it probably will to you, then instead of trying to speed up the shooting, speed up the shotgun stopping.

Thats accomplished via recoil control. balance forward, take a good grip on the shotgun, let the body soak up the recoil, and let it return back down on its own without you horsing it around.follow your front bead, lift and fall.

what you think is slow with a shotgun most likely isnt. Perception is not usually reality. especially comparing longguns to sidearms.

To build on what Brian just said up there, wait for the gun to stop before you break each shot.

if that still seems slow, which it probably will to you, then instead of trying to speed up the shooting, speed up the shotgun stopping.

Thats accomplished via recoil control. balance forward, take a good grip on the shotgun, let the body soak up the recoil, and let it return back down on its own without you horsing it around.follow your front bead, lift and fall.

well you built it so i guess you can tell me how to drive it lol.... seriously will try watching the sight just like pistol, thanks for the suggestion

• 3 weeks later...

You might try this on static targets with a shotgun - just tbe sure to feel the gun pause (or stop) on each target before you hit the trigger.

well two things have really let me push through with my shotgun splits, one was getting a cheek pad for my gun which is keeping me from losing the sights in recoil which is obviously a big deal since i do watch them.... 2 was feeling this pause benos speeks of... i think it may be more of a practice thing for me or at least something i go back to when not hitting well but it definately helped me push through the problem i was having...

man you are right about the perception of shooting slow, i though i was shooting at a decent pace today but when i filmed myself i was burning it down even when going slow and being what i thought was deliberate.... good advice as usual mike.... i can see clearly there is no need to push it to the red line, at this point i dont think my eyes can keep up with my finger/new found recoil management

• 1 month later...

Whats the saying?

Slow Is Smooth But Smooth Is Fast?

I find when ever I rush While my raw time is usually in the top 10% of the ppl at the match my scored time is more toward the middle of the pack.

Last match I had been doing bad and decided to slow it down on the last stage. Drop 1 sec in time and finished 8th on the stage. ( for me this was very exciting since it was my first 3 gun match and only my 3rd match over all ). My new rule of thumb is even in practice making sure I am accurate speed will always come naturally at the end.

• 1 month later...

I experienced this last weekend. I shot the same IDPA match twice in a row. 5 stages, 12 rounds each. The first time, I shot it as usual - trying to go a little too fast, sometimes not seeing the sights in order to get a shot off quickly, etc. My score was around 86s with 18 points down, including a couple of -3s. About my usual, middle-of-the-road EX score.

The second time I shot it, I decided to relax, not care about place, really see the sights and shoot for -0s, and visualize the stage a few times before shooting. As I shot it the second time, I felt relaxed, and it felt as if I were shooting SUPER slow. But when I added up my score, I came in at 69s with 4 points down! Which turned out to be around a mid-MA score, which is pretty much the best I've ever shot.

Some of that may have been due to shooting the same match again, but I really think it was mostly due to basically not being stressed out about how I place and just shooting however it is I shoot.

Edited by FTDMFR

I experienced this last weekend. I shot the same IDPA match twice in a row. 5 stages, 12 rounds each. The first time, I shot it as usual - trying to go a little too fast, sometimes not seeing the sights in order to get a shot off quickly, etc. My score was around 86s with 18 points down, including a couple of -3s. About my usual, middle-of-the-road EX score.

The second time I shot it, I decided to relax, not care about place, really see the sights and shoot for -0s, and visualize the stage a few times before shooting. As I shot it the second time, I felt relaxed, and it felt as if I were shooting SUPER slow. But when I added up my score, I came in at 69s with 4 points down! Which turned out to be around a mid-MA score, which is pretty much the best I've ever shot.

Excellent work! Always do just that.

Excellent work! Always do just that.

Thank you!

Always doing just that seems to be the tricky part. Any advice on having this mindset on a consistent basis? Inconsistency is the bane of my existence.

I have started reading Brian's book, made me really think about the way I approach a match/stage.

1. better stage planning, once I decided what I was going to do I stuck with it and didn't change it based on another shooters strategy.

2. don't worry about the pressure of being watched/being judged by your piers. I relaxed and just focused on the shooting. I focused on shooting my best instead of trying to shoot as fast as the best guy in the squad.

3. I didn't try any new techniques, I stuck to the fundamentals and stuck to what I had practiced.

4. I focused on what to DO and not on what I SHOLD NOT do.

This was by far the best match I had shot yet.

Edited by NateTSU

• 4 months later...

Dude, how the heck did you become a GM with only 2K live fire rounds fired in practice! WOW!

I am in the midst right now, in my development, of figuring out exactly what you stated Donovan. I have had GM skills in many areas of performance, for some time now, and M class in all, yet I continually sabotage my match performance by doing other than focusing on shooting only as fast as I can see. Obviously all the stuff you wrote about - trying to speed up, focusing on non-shooting aspects and then "forgetting" the shooting part, putting too much pressure on myself to do well in a match I have trained so hard for, etc.

When we try and work so hard to improve, at the same time we are actually building higher skill sets, we are also putting pressure on ourselves that will likely prevent our actually using and benefiting from the skills and hard work. The more ambitious a shooter is, the worse he performs! Crazy. Laid back guys who never practice, and are not even that good, skill-wise, "beat" us in matches. Of course, we are beating ourselves.

And the worst of all, is the most important matches. The big ones. We care so much about doing well in them, that we doom ourselves to failure from the start. And I have rarely (never) had the COURAGE, basically, to not give a shit in a match and see how that works out for me. I act as if my life depends on doing my best at the match, instead of saying, "you know what, just for this one match, I am going to shoot it comfortably, no pressure, shooting all A hits and "invest" this match, risking a lower place result, to just test how I could do, being myself while shooting." If I could do this, and it is simply a decision for me to make and adhere to, I could shoot in the high 80% CERTAINLY in Area matches and Nationals. RIght now, with no more skills or knowledge or training than I already possess.

So I am going to plan on doing exactly what you have discovered, in the Area 2 match this week. See you there bro. Wish me luck staying the course, being brave enough to just trust myself.

I have had GM skills in many areas of performance, for some time now, and M class in all, yet I continually sabotage my match performance by doing other than focusing on shooting only as fast as I can see.

I'm not at your level(yet) but I was having similar problems a couple of years ago. I could hang with master class shooters when I was calm and shooting with buddies at a club match, but any time the score mattered(like a major match or on a classifier) I would lose focus and shoot very inconsistently. Lanny Bassham's book "With winning in mind" dramatically increased my consistency. It gives you all the tools you need to make sure that your mind is in the right place whether you're practicing by yourself or shooting your last stage at a big match. YMMV.