Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else make a thumb shield (Swenson) like ambi safety?

DWFAN

I've found old threads about SVI supposedly making one, but its not on their website. I also read that the Swenson patent expired in 2009 I think.

Surely someone is making a good ambi safety with a thumb shield ?

I thought about going the EGW shield route, and getting an extra wide SVI to go with it, but would rather have a 1 pc unit if someone besides Swenson makes one.

• 9 months later...

I was looking for the old school style "thumb slide guard" that used to use the top grip screw to secure and didnt require replacing plunger tube nor slotting frame. The Swenson thumb safety shield i would be interested if they made a NON-AMBI version.

I had an OLD wilson thumb slide shield on a colt officer and regret selling it with the pistol now that i cannot find a basic one.

Im going to have to machine my own, im happy to know im not the only one looking for one. Seems like there would be a market, maybe i will mill a few and sell a couple.

• 2 years later...

The Swenson thumb safety shield i would be interested if they made a NON-AMBI version.

I seem to recall PT doing a limited run of non-ambi a while back, but i am not positive. i'd give them a call.

Who has the PT thumbshield safety for sale? I checked their website and they seem to prefer to sell you frames...

speedshooter.com sells them, OOS at the moment though.

• 2 weeks later...

The Swenson is sadly not a high quality part. If you want shielded the pt is the way to go or fit the krebs shield to your frame and use any safety you like. I've heard the double tap is great too but I've not handled one myself. Or weld a shield to any other safety you like. :)

The Swenson is sadly not a high quality part. If you want shielded the pt is the way to go or fit the krebs shield to your frame and use any safety you like. I've heard the double tap is great too but I've not handled one myself. Or weld a shield to any other safety you like. [emoji4]

That was the intent of the original post. The swensons tend to break at the worst possible moment.

I really like the PT I picked up.

12 hours ago, open17 said:

3 year old thread---back from the dead!

Phoenix Trinity.     Expensive---but NICE.   They fit my medium hands perfectly, and the design takes the stress off of the crosspin.

Link?  I tried finding something on their site but came up dry.  2am search might be partially responsible...

Does anybody have a photo of the Phoenix Trinity mounted on a gun?  Maybe even a photo with your thumb on the safety in the "fire" position.  I'd like to see its slide/thumb coverage when in use, as well as how much it inhibits grabbing the slide when holding open at the rear during "unload and show clear".  Thanks, J