Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is everyone doing about ammo ?

anthem

I went to a gun show yesterday and laughed at some of the prices. AR's with the $1075 price crossed out and the new $1795 price next to it. Mini-14's for $1200.

Federal Large pistol primers, $49.97/k

The biggest chuckle I got was CCI primers, $54.97/k

The $6.00 admission cost was less than going to a comedy club though.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a gun show yesterday and laughed at some of the prices. AR's with the $1075 price crossed out and the new $1795 price next to it. Mini-14's for $1200.

Federal Large pistol primers, $49.97/k

The biggest chuckle I got was CCI primers, $54.97/k

The $6.00 admission cost was less than going to a comedy club though.

Those are cheap... Here prices are $2500 and up on an AR-15, $2800 and up on an AR-10.

(I started stocking up on primers in 94, anyone remember that one?)

I cast my own so I am set on bullets for my Glocks. Small Pistoel primers are a little tight, If I run out its time to run the 21SF for a while. Small rifle primers are not that hard to find, nor is powder. Always keep a keg of bullseye on hand, if I run out of WSF and WST I can always sub in bullseye.

All good advice, except that golf thing. Just say no!

I believe this advice is also iffy:

If you want to shoot, eat beans for six months and buy what you need so you can shoot.

Read it carefully. "IF you want to shoot." If you don't, then it is not advice applicable to you. But this thread is chock full of folks who want to shoot and are lamenting the lack of ammunition necessary to do so. If you want to shoot regardless of what Obama, Federal, CCI and the local shop are doing on any given day, then you need to have the "stuffs" necessary to shoot ... in large quantities ... all the time. This requires a financial sacrifice one time to get that level built up, at least for most of us. I did it. I have never regretted it and I did not starve.

Any ideas of what people are doing ?

I vowed to always be prepared after the last shortage. So right now I am loading and shooting as usual. And will be for years to come.

+1 to what Sarge said, I participated in the last shortage and vowed to never let that happen again. I started stocking up last July and should have enough to last at least two years.

I don't reload. But someone else suggested keeping an eye on ammoseek.com. If you're on the east coast, check it every morning as soon as you wake up. I've seen boxes of 9mm each of the last two mornings. Once I was too late, but this morning I picked up some range ammo. With shipping it's 30-40% more than I pay at Walmart. At least it will get me through this month's matches.

It's something to keep in mind for those of us who don't need much ammo and on balance have more money than time to call Walmart or local shops every day.

I told myself after 2008 that I ought to stock up. But my Walmart never had enough ammo to buy in bulk. Maybe I'll switch to large orders online from somewhere like Georgia Arms. It's probably easier for reloaders to stock up.

Edited by Tim James

I told myself after 2008 that I ought to stock up. But my Walmart never had enough ammo to buy in bulk. Maybe I'll switch to large orders online from somewhere like Georgia Arms. It's probably easier for reloaders to stock up.

I think Georgia arms is completely out. Atlanta arms is not taking new customers but existing customers are limited to 500/caliber per month.

I'm afraid this is gonna last a long time. Here's the problem, anyone who got caught "under supplied" will be on a buying frenzy once supplies show back up. For those who didn't begin stocking up over the last several years got a real wake up call this year. I think that wake up call is going to feed the buying panic on ammo for a long time to come. Think about it, for those of us who do not reload- are you going to let yourself get caught short handed again? Of course not.

Walked into Walmart this morning for some engine oil and walked over to the ammo case. Totally empty except for two 100 round packs of Federal 223. (Limit 1) Another guy shows up and then a third. The third guy was like, "has anybody gone to get help?" Me and the other guy shook our heads "no" so we all three just stood there until somebody walked by close enough to get their attention. Help comes and says, "who get's it?" At that point the third guy finally gave up and left. I guess he was waiting for one of us to give up first. LOL it was quite funny. All that over a box of ammo! Unbelievable. The guy who helped us said those two boxes were all the ammo the store got on a truck last night. He had just put it out about 15 minutes earlier.

That's funny. About the same thing happened to my Dad last week. He just strolled by the gun counter and the associate was putting out CCI mini mags, they got a shipment of 10 (100 round) boxes. 1 each limit. Mom got one, Dad got one and the 4 couples behind them each got one. He said another funny thing was that they were all Grandpa's and Grandmas' getting them for their Grandkids. At least they will go fo a good cause.

Walked into Walmart this morning for some engine oil and walked over to the ammo case. Totally empty except for two 100 round packs of Federal 223. (Limit 1) Another guy shows up and then a third. The third guy was like, "has anybody gone to get help?" Me and the other guy shook our heads "no" so we all three just stood there until somebody walked by close enough to get their attention. Help comes and says, "who get's it?" At that point the third guy finally gave up and left. I guess he was waiting for one of us to give up first. LOL it was quite funny. All that over a box of ammo! Unbelievable. The guy who helped us said those two boxes were all the ammo the store got on a truck last night. He had just put it out about 15 minutes earlier.

local fred meyers first tuesday of each month senior discount of 10%. happened to have 8 boxes of AA's. took 'em all fer $9 and change a box.

Speaking of shotgun ammo. Is it also hard to find? The walmart did have a whole shelf full of Federal bulk target loads for $25 per hundred. I did not get any because I thought it was still plentiful. I just wanted to get 100 to have on hand. I don't shoot the porch sweeper much but even 71/2 shot target loads would do the job at 10 yards or so.

Yes it is getting harder to find. I bought 8 or so boxes in the last couple of weeks but the shelves were pretty bare.

I noticed at the range the other day that there were a whole lot of shotgun shell hulls in the brass bucket. Talkin about a rifle/pistol range open to the public not a shotgun range. I think that people are picking up shotgun shells if they can't get pistol/.22/rifle ammo just so the can shoot.

local fred meyers first tuesday of each month senior discount of 10%. happened to have 8 boxes of AA's. took 'em all fer $9 and change a box.

Speaking of shotgun ammo. Is it also hard to find? The walmart did have a whole shelf full of Federal bulk target loads for $25 per hundred. I did not get any because I thought it was still plentiful. I just wanted to get 100 to have on hand. I don't shoot the porch sweeper much but even 71/2 shot target loads would do the job at 10 yards or so.

Local AZ stores almost cleaned out. Bought three cases at the Bass Pro Shop (limit 3). Bought another couple at the Sportsman's Warehouse. Seems like shipments are still coming but the shelves are cleaned out pretty quickly. I just received my Dillon SL900 and have plenty of components so I feel relieved that I can continue to shoot Sporting Clays tourneys.

Yes it is getting harder to find. I bought 8 or so boxes in the last couple of weeks but the shelves were pretty bare.

I noticed at the range the other day that there were a whole lot of shotgun shell hulls in the brass bucket. Talkin about a rifle/pistol range open to the public not a shotgun range. I think that people are picking up shotgun shells if they can't get pistol/.22/rifle ammo just so the can shoot.

Yep, in Alexandria VA walmarts it's just as hard to find as regular ammo. That wasnt the case just months ago. I bought five of the value packs because I think I'll have to go skeet and trap shoothing once my .223 supply is gone. I cant make myself buy .223/5.56 rounds at a buck a pop...yet....

I was in Walmart last week, & ammo shelves were still pretty bare. Picked up the last carton of 12ga win. bird shot, but they had Federal. I stocked up on pistol & rifle ammo early last year.

Was in a WalMart yesterday and there was one lone box of 7mm Mag on the cartridge shelves, lots of shotgun ammo at what looked like the old prices (pre November).

N. Dallas area if anyone in this area is interested. U.S. 75 North and Midpark road - across from T.I..