Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is everyone doing about ammo ?

anthem

What is everyone doing about ammo availability for USPSA/IDPA/IPSC matches ? Open is 38S/SC, and Limited is usually 40SW. With 38S/SC your only real options are a couple of places and reloading. With 40, you might have a few more options and also reloading. Since reloading is almost no longer possible to get bullets or primers - its getting very tough to impossible to reload. Commercial ammo is also not widely available either. Many places are rationing any ammo purchases to 500 per month. That's like 3 range sessions for the month and then you're waiting on ammo. . .

Any ideas of what people are doing ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a year's supply of powder, primers, bullets and brass :devil:

Most serious shooters foresaw this problem and stocked up -

no problem, we'll just ride out the storm like we did when Bill

Clinton was inaugurated.

You can buy all the materials you need to reload - online -

may have to wait a few months for delivery, but they'll come

eventually. :cheers:

See Everyone is Out Of Stock - another topic here on BE.

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I've got at least a years supply of bullets on hand. 2 years worth of primers. 2 years worth of powder. Next fall I will see where I am at on supplies and place my order for at least another years worth of primers and powder. Bullets are always when I open the last case. I will order another 3 cases at that point.

Same here. I ordered a years worth of primers, bullets, brass, and since powder never seems to be a problem to find, I only picked up 8 lbs of each HS-6 & Tightgroup. A couple years ago I built a dedicated .22 Open Gun on a 2011 frame, so I recently picked up 4,000 rounds of .22 to practice with. I'll use the new brass & primers / powder / etc. to shoot matches with. It's not going to be fun riding this storm out, but you might as well get used to it.

I expect gas prices to go back up again this Summer too. I'm sure we'll see $4+ prices. :(

The only thing good about living in the north durning the winter is that my stashed supplies arent getting burned up very fast right now. If someone doesnt have enough hopefully the market will start to straighten up when it starts to warm back up.

What is everyone doing about ammo availability for USPSA/IDPA/IPSC matches ? Open is 38S/SC, and Limited is usually 40SW. With 38S/SC your only real options are a couple of places and reloading. With 40, you might have a few more options and also reloading. Since reloading is almost no longer possible to get bullets or primers - its getting very tough to impossible to reload. Commercial ammo is also not widely available either. Many places are rationing any ammo purchases to 500 per month. That's like 3 range sessions for the month and then you're waiting on ammo. . .

Any ideas of what people are doing ?

One must plan a year ahead. I think you will find the majority of us had this year's conponents delivered last fall. Me? I ordered powder, primers and bullets on a Wednesday morning in November . . . the day after election day. I am set for the year, and plan to order nexts year's conponents within the next 3 ~ 4 months.

Locally primers are selling at slightly inflated prices but the only place that has them sells them out Wednesday mornings in a half hour and they limit you to ONE box. PERIOD. Not one of small/large/pistol/rifle. One $35 box.

I have about 700 rounds of 45 loaded up and another 700 bullets. All my brass is primed and I have 7000 primers because I impulse bought them during the summer just so I wouldn't run out or have to go to the store in the middle of reloading. I bought a pound of HP-38 locally two weeks ago so I'm good to load what I have for the season HOPEFULLY. I just keep my eyes out for bullets and check the stores about three times a week. If I wasn't living in an apartment I would have pulled the trigger on a Montana Bullet order in December or January just to have that 2500 bullets stock and maybe a 4 lb powder jug to play with.

223 brass....I can't believe it's going for that much. It's funny to watch people buying components be told they can't buy all they want when they just waited in line and the 20 people in front of them didn't buy everything before this guy walked up.

For those talking about having stocked up and talking about weathering it out... remember that your stock up time was just luck with regards to timing. You could have planned a stock up this January and found that not working out so well.

I considering myself lucky to have done a fall stocking that should keep me active for awhile. I'm also a brass scrounger so that helps on that side also.

For those talking about having stocked up and talking about weathering it out... remember that your stock up time was just luck with regards to timing. You could have planned a stock up this January and found that not working out so well.

It's not quite luck. If you only look back 4 years at the last election. Anyone who reloading in volume for something like USPSA would've found the supply we had in the last 18 month prior to the election a God-send, and should have been recovering their probably depleted supplies from the previous 2+ years. I think the tragic string of shootings worsened the run on supplies, but it's a decent idea to always have a backstock of supplies to weather these kinds of fluctuation. Having a back stock means in normal times resupplying as you use (like on a monthly or quarterly basis), not buying a year or two of supply and restocking when it's down to zero.

~Mitch

Umm, no, it wasn't luck. Many of us expected a post-election panic frenzy and intentionally purchased earlier to avoid it.

Umm, no, it wasn't luck. Many of us expected a post-election panic frenzy and intentionally purchased earlier to avoid it.

But what you guys ran into was NOT a post election dry spell. Buying did increase, but until the Newton tragedy things were in stock or very short waits.

It is like saying "Of course I bought that stock because I knew it would jump up 1000% today", when really you only hoped or thought it might go up.

I would rather be lucky, than good! The guys I shoot with shoot open, production, limited and SS. So we get together in oct or nov. and do one big order, and hope for the best on $ and avalibity..

Most of the time the clubs we shoot at let us know that they are going to do group buy.

Edited by a matt

But what you guys ran into was NOT a post election dry spell. Buying did increase, but until the Newton tragedy things were in stock or very short waits.

It is like saying "Of course I bought that stock because I knew it would jump up 1000% today", when really you only hoped or thought it might go up.

Not to get too political, but it was still a post-election dry spell imho. The newtown tragedy was just the first excuse the administration could use to launch their post-election anti-gun agenda. Sure, it didn't happen *immediately* after the election, but I don't think the same tragedy 6 months earlier would have caused the same effects.

At any rate, if I didn't have enough stuff already, I would get some on order. When I get down to a 6-month or so supply, i'll probably get another year's worth of bullets and primers.

Things are picking up here.

I am not a competition shooter so I don't need a lot but I just received 4000 .40cal bullets

from my supplier in Florida and just bought 3000 small pistol primers at my LGS today. All at the normal price.

I hope all these panic buyers are happy with the shortages they caused.

I also hope they are out of money. :eatdrink:

For the first time in weeks my local Sportsman's Warehouse received more AR-15's than they could sell in the first five minutes. They lasted like 45 mins.

Things really are slowing down...

:eatdrink: