Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Never Put Mags That Aren't Full On Your Belt

amish_rabbi

I had a great plan where mags were loaded with different number of rounds to better execute a stage. Problem is, I pulled the mags in the wrong order. What a train wreck!!!! Never again.

That's a new one on me. Exactly how does that help?

Saw a Limited shooter dumping rounds out of a mag a couple of months or so back. When asked about it they replied they did not need the rounds (Virginia classifier) and the mags were easier to seat with less rounds. As a Production/Revo/SS shooter I had never thought about it.

And, just this past weekend I had a 5 round mag somehow make it's way into my back pocket were my 11 round starter should be. I have no clue how I did that but upon "Make Ready" I snatched it out but something was not right so I looked at the holes on the back and saw the problem. I stripped out one round and dropped the mag back in my back pocket, loaded that round into the farthest back mag from my belt and went to work. Glad the stage did not require more mags..............

Edited by chevyoneton

Totally guilty too! Done that at least once maybe even two times.. For me when i pick up mags they go into my cargo pocket or left rear tactical pocket on my 5.11 shorts. Gotta develop a system and stick with it.

I did this three weeks ago at my first match back after a three month forced hiatus. Turned out that the 2nd mag in my belt had only 5 rounds in it on a stage with a fairly high round count. Confused? Yep. Good thing I went into the match with low expectations.

One has to have a ritual and not deviate from it. Get done with a stage, pick up your mags, inspect the hits, go to your bag and get yourself ready to shoot again. Reload mags, put on belt, double check them again, go help paste.

• 4 weeks later...

I had three almost empty mags on my belt on a stage. Watched the film and it was hilarious. Boom boom, mag change, boom, mag change. One was completely empty. I looked like I was doing a mag change drill at the same spot. Luckily it was a local match and not one of the big ones.

Yep, Me too. At my last match, went for the first mag change and pulled out an empty mag. Fortunately, the other 3 were loaded and I went on, but for a split second it was "Oh crap, did I forget to reload"

• 4 years later...

Happened to me too, we were short ro's so I took the timer right after shooting, got to the next stage I'm starting, single stack, had 3 fte's cause I didn't have enough ammo to finish stage, now I always leave at least 1 empty mag holder until topping off 

• 2 weeks later...

I always stuff my used mags back into my pouches. When I return to the back, every single mag comes off my belt and gets loaded to 10, or checked to make sure it's got that many in it. Even the ones I'm certain I didn't use.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I always stuff my used mags back into my pouches. When I return to the back, every single mag comes off my belt and gets loaded to 10, or checked to make sure it's got that many in it. Even the ones I'm certain I didn't use.

This is basically what I do to. All my mags come off, any that aren't full get loaded and cleaned if needed. When I'm almost up at the next stage I'll go get my mags and as I pull them from the bag I check that each on is loaded how I want it and place them on my belt accordingly.

I shoot limited my mags can hold 21, so I want one with 21 to barney with and one with 21 to start with. The others (if I take others) will only have 20 in them. I like to start with 2 or even 3 mags of 20 on my belt and 22 in the gun. And yes, that 22nd round has saved my ass, even if only once.

You just have to get into a routine. I'll put partial mags into my pouches, but I take all the mags out at my range bag and reload/clean as needed. I always end a stage the same way, look at my hits, confirm the scoring, and go directly back to my bag before doing anything else. The shooters I see who make this mistake are generally the ones that stop and BS with their buddies. For these shooters, I agree that not putting partial mags back into their pouches is a good idea.

On 4/8/2013 at 7:49 PM, Seth said:

Develop habits and never deviate from them. ULSC then empty, clean, refill. Never deviate. Helps with the focus on your stage plan for the next stage. If you know you're ready you can concentrate.

Also, I check all mags on my belt when I'm on deck just to be sure( bet you can guess why I started that routine). lol 

• 2 weeks later...

On a stage which should have been very fast, on my second reload I fired two rounds and it went to slide lock. Surprised, I went to do another reload and fumbled the crap out of it. I ended up doing very poorly. That was a mistake I do not plan to repeat.

On 1/31/2013 at 9:00 PM, amish_rabbi said:

Usually I never put a mag on my belt that isnt full, but somehow at the match I shot this past weekend I ended up with one in my first mag pouch. I went to do a reload on the stage while I moved between positions, grabbed the mag and luckily my brain went "huh, that feels lighter than normal" by instinct I simply threw he mag away and went for my next one so It turned out ok but it could have easily gone much worse for me because when I went to check the mag after I was done there was one round in it.

I watched a GM revolver shooter try to load an empty moon clip during a stage.  He was not happy.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, tattooo said:

I forgot to put all my mags on my belt once......that was fun ....

+1 At Area 3 last year I went to the line with only 1 mag. Left all my loaded I intended to use in my bag. Gave the whole squad something to laugh at. Lesson learned.

My only idpa match i shot I did this. Was on a stage that needed 6 rounds reload 6 rounds (shot 2 or 3 tines with stops between). My idiot self grabbed one of the fired mags and in my haste put it back in the pouch with 4 rounds so i needed an extra reload on the second drill..... Lesson learned though.