Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Never Put Mags That Aren't Full On Your Belt

amish_rabbi

Usually I never put a mag on my belt that isnt full, but somehow at the match I shot this past weekend I ended up with one in my first mag pouch. I went to do a reload on the stage while I moved between positions, grabbed the mag and luckily my brain went "huh, that feels lighter than normal" by instinct I simply threw the mag away and went for my next one so It turned out ok but it could have easily gone much worse for me because when I went to check the mag after I was done there was one round in it.

Been there and did the same thing when I pulled the downloaded mag during a stage. In limited and open I put one of those magnets on my belt and when I ULSC I stick the mag to the magnet so I know it needs to be reloaded.

Neal in AZ

Yep that sucks. I didn't the same thing ONCE. However I wasn't sure how many mags were partials (and there were a few) so during the entire stage I was waiting for the gun to go to slide lock. Man that sucked bad.

I shot with a guy at the NC sectional last year that would have won limited, except for the stage where he had 2 empty mags on his belt. I don't think he zeroed the stage, but it was enough to cost him the match.

Partials are the ones that get me and other shooters.

It isn't the time spent reloading it's sorting out, it's sorting out the brain..."Why am I at slide lock? Did I ride the magazine release? Is my gun jammed open? Maybe I should do something about it and finish the stage?"

The rest of the stage is damage control. Trying not to do the ammo math in my head.

DNH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At a match this weekend I needed to reload to a big stick. I put a big stick in the front pouch and 2 littles as backups. I managed to grab the wrong mag!!! I was "looking in" the mag when I realized it was a little stick! I had 7 pieces of steel and a mover in addition to several paper targets and if I used that one, there was no room for make up shots. I did what you did and tossed it! I know it cost me some time but not as much as it would have to count shots, and reload at a bad place, or run it dry. It stinks it happened but it is really impressive you had the presence of mind to realize what was happening and fix it instantly. A lot of shooters may not have noticed! :cheers:

I shot with a guy at the NC sectional last year that would have won limited, except for the stage where he had 2 empty mags on his belt. I don't think he zeroed the stage, but it was enough to cost him the match.

OUCH!!

Pat

Develop habits and never deviate from them. ULSC then empty, clean, refill. Never deviate. Helps with the focus on your stage plan for the next stage. If you know you're ready you can concentrate.

Develop habits and never deviate from them. ULSC then empty, clean, refill. Never deviate. Helps with the focus on your stage plan for the next stage. If you know you're ready you can concentrate.

My problem is that going through my state's law enforcement pistol qualification course several thousand times (okay, maybe not that much) built in some reloading muscle memory that I didn't even know that i had until taking up action pistol shooting after about 15 years off from serious shooting. The qualification course had several magazine exchanges built into it and it was always from an empty gun.

Fast forward about fifteen years later and I'm shooting my first USPSA stage at an introductory action shooting course. I've got my ten rounds in my mag and I engage four targets with two rounds each. I decided drop my mag and put in a new one before the next target just like I planned in the dry run. It's then when I had an almost out of body experience where I see myself reaching up with my weak hand, racking the slide, and watching a perfectly good round sail onto the ground. I complete the course stage without any further embarrassment.

It's then when I realized that since virtually every magazine exchange I had done in my entire shooting career was from a dry gun, my brain just doesn't want to accept the concept that I could put in a new mag and not have to put a round in the chamber.

So, yeah, that's going to be fun during a major match with lots of people watching me. Good times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Never thought it would happen to me...squad mate put mags in my belt while I was signing my scoresheet...I checked, but missed one. Standing reload on steel.

I always put my mags back in my belt. But, after every stage, I go reflect on the stage while i take off all my mags, clean them if necessary, and reload them. I'm an RO, but I don't even think about going to help out until I'm ready for my next stage. Get mentally and physically calm and ready before moving on.

Been there done that! My second USPSA Match I started the stage reloaded as I moved to the plate rack got off two shots and slide lock. Pretty funny actually I have it on video. I look down...like why am I at slide lock? I actually check the magazines as I walk up to shoot a stage now. I even do it during IDPA Matched too.

I had a great plan where mags were loaded with different number of rounds to better execute a stage. Problem is, I pulled the mags in the wrong order. What a train wreck!!!! Never again.

After reading this I have always started check my mags right before stepping into the start position. It saved my ass this past weekend when I checked and found my mags were half empty. I ran back to my range bag and grabbed 2 different ones that I keep lauded at all times threw then on my belt and ran a pretty decent stage.

I had a great plan where mags were loaded with different number of rounds to better execute a stage. Problem is, I pulled the mags in the wrong order. What a train wreck!!!! Never again.

That's a new one on me. Exactly how does that help?

The mags I use on a stage go into back pocket, never into the pouches. Then I check all mags when I get back to my bags. (I had a short mag a long time ago, so this is the procedure I use to prevent it.) (I also check magazines when I am making ready.)

I carry 3 mags and try to keep 3 loaded up in my ammo bag. A quick change to a new stage and I can grab and go. Then when I have a break load up the ones I dropped at my bag. If I have time I will load up the ones I just used and leave the spares in the bag.