Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This one is for all 9mm open shooters

a matt

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started shooting USPSA in 2012. I ordered a 9-Major open gun from Bobby at Freedom Gunworks in Nov 2011, received it in March 2012, and made master with it during the summer. The gun has never malfunctioned on me during a match. The few malfunctions I had at the beginning were my fault. The gun now runs 115 JHPs from STI, old SVI, and new SVI magazines without a problem.

Would I like to have a 38SC gun?.....of course! Do I think the 9-Major gun is holding me back?...not at all

I have a 9 Major built by Predator Tactical and have been nothing but happy, gun runs flawless. It is my first open gun and have been very happy with the performance. i did choose 9 for the availability of components.

I have two TruBors - both 9mm major.

The one I had tuned by Brazos runs 100% with MY reloads :surprise: On

a Square Deal.. :ph34r:

When the springs or mags needed tweaking, it doesn't run - when I

change them, it runs 100% again.

The TruBor I had tuned by Dawson isn't quite so lucky ... :sight:

Who builds the most reliable 9mm open?

I could tell you my answer, but I'd be biased ;)

No such concerns here! Matt Cheely built my gun in 9MAJOR and it runs every bit as good or better than any gun out there. As a matter of fact when I read about 9MAJOR issues with ejection, etc all I can do is take their word for it because I just have not experienced any of the perceived drawbacks. I run a traditional upright mount which is supposed to be near impossible with the 9's and it is an absolute non issue. Matt has either perfected the art of taming the 9mm or the problems never really existed. ;)

I guess if 38SC brass was as easy and cheap to come by as 9mm I MIGHT consider switching but that will never be the case. I like shooting a match and enjoying good company while NOT worrying about finding my brass. If I want some brass I just hang around after everything is put away and scoop up all the 9mm I can carry home. And I do not agree that 9MAJOR is for us flunkies while 38SC is for the GM Nationals winning crowd. Mark my words, someday soon 9MAJOR will win the Nationals and that will turn the OPEN community on it's ear.

Call Matt for your 9MAJOR Open gun today! :cheers:

I've had the best luck with 9 major pistols from Brazos Custom, even though Bob isn't a big proponent of them.

All four pistols from Bob ran 100% besides two exceptions:

1. the pistol locked tight from some corn cob media that probably got loose from the nose of a JHP. I never tumbled loaded rounds after that.

2. when I experimented with a very heavy recoil spring.

Other than that, no break-in period required. Not a single malf.

I also have a 9 major from Derek at Millennium Custom. Not a single issue with his pistol either.

I shoot 38SC major, and 9mm minor with my open gun. Original gun is a TRI 38SC (Built by Vergil Tripp before STI) still runs 100%. Had my gunsmith build a 9mm top end for the TRI and I shoot 9mm minor for steel. Both run 100% and I'm satisfied. I have also shot 38SC minor for steel but too much dot movement.

I ran a Sailors Custom in 9MM Major all last year with zero issues. I just bought a used Razorcat in 38SC and sent a check yesterday to Johny for a 9 conversion slide, barrel, comp. Now ill be able to see which is truley the flattest and has the least dot movement. I think it will be interesting since it will be the same gun.

I ran a Sailors Custom in 9MM Major all last year with zero issues. I just bought a used Razorcat in 38SC and sent a check yesterday to Johny for a 9 conversion slide, barrel, comp. Now ill be able to see which is truley the flattest and has the least dot movement. I think it will be interesting since it will be the same gun.

Will the new 9mm slide, barrel and comp be identical to your 38 Super top end so it will be a fair comparison?

I have a Gary Natale 9-major...never hiccups!

Aren't you glad you have someone to show you how to properly load ammo :goof:

Yes, Gary Natale of Gans builds in my opinion the best and most reliable guns in 9mm

You know it brother!!!!

Yep, Gan's for me too. Because of Gary, I've never understood the "9's are difficult" in Open guns theory. Or, for that matter, the whole "upright mount" not good dilemma. Not related, but the whole "waiting game" for a custom gun thing is lost on me too. I simply don't know how Gary does it. Guy is some kind of gunsmith savant.

With that said, I have never seen a Cheely gun not run good. There are plenty of good smiths NATALE and CHEELY are two I'd trust.