Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax one piece magazine tube

co-exprs

My field model uses the keyed style charge handle.

12790876573071147580136.jpeg

The Tactical uses the non keyed version.

12669048687501616029114.jpeg

The rotating version will work in both (correct me if I'm wrong), but the keyed version will only work in field models. I've seen mine and the one's on the shelf at the gun store. All of the fields I have seen use the keyed style handle. I've handled a few Tacticals at the store as well and they all appeared to use the rotating handle. I am unaware of historical changes.

Edited by co-exprs

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I posted pics awhile back in the other thread of the differences. The field has a slotted hole, while the tactical is round.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158419 is the link to where you posted the info, including a pic of the handles of:

M1/2

Versa Max (stock)

Versa Max Tactical

M1/2 Nordic (fits VM)

M1/2 Factory Extended (fits VM)

That thread is what led me to ask my prior question about the charging handle in the first place. Sorry to hijack the thread, however - this thread is clearly about the new one piece mags, and I am really excited to see them coming closer to availability. I actually just ordered a versamax based on the news on this items pending production. In fact, I'm on my way to the fun shop right now to pick it up!

Yep. Kinda silly and confusing. For those who don't know there are photos on the Nordic website of which handle to purchase for which bolt. Here you go. Cut and pasted from Nordic.

If your bolt looks like this:

1297276086004-590776419.jpeg

You need a charge handle which looks like this:

12790876564501122326062.jpeg

Edited by co-exprs

At last! Today was the day to hit the range with my newly modded Versamax. Before I get into the results of my day on the range, I want to set the stage for this product and review.

My name is Mike Payne. I've been competing in 3gun for about 4yrs. My first year, I just dabbled, second year I worked on fundamental skills and third year I really wicked it up and began to pursue. This year, I began to take an interest in how I ranked against the big dogs. Still have a ways to go, but I managed to pull down respectable finishes at Larue, CO State, HeMan Nats and RM3G. If I had to describe my skill level, I'd probably say that I am a very competitive amateur. I have never been sponsored, paying my way 100%. I am not sponsored by Carbon Arms, but I run in the same circles and we are all shooting buddies. While Mark offered me this magtube kit, I gladly paid for it out of my pocket. Mark only asked me to shoot it and provide any feedback I might have. I asked if I could write about it and the answer was yes and without stipulation or reservation. I am writing this forum entry now without sharing with Mark ahead of time and he will read this at the same time you do. Let get started.

Weather today was mild, low wind, partly cloudy and mid 50's. I cleaned the shotgun before going to the range and ran the factory Remington IC choke (as my extended chokes have not yet arrived). My Versa shoots POI+POA with Fiocchi 7/8oz slugs and about 5in right with BP low recoil. I have a case of BPs, so that's what I used. I fired a base line set of 5 slugs, rested on my gun bag, at a USPSA Metric target at 100yds.

My wife had a plastic rain barrel in the side yard she will never use, so it just became my practice down bucket. I had a piece of carpet in the garage, which I put in the bottom.

My process would be to spear the shotgun into the bucket, then disassemble, reassemble and then shoot. I did this procedure once and then fired another group of 5 to see how it compared with baseline.

DSCN0785.jpg

These results were, by my standards outstanding. I decided to ratchet in some difficulty to see what she would really do. I performed the same procedure but this time fired one shot, then repeated the entire procedure 5 more times, so that the gun was abandoned agressively and then dissassmbled and reassembled between each shot for a very long, drawn out 6 shot group.

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0783.jpg

I fired a 6 shot group because the first shot was not where expected. I found that I didn't quite have the barrel nut tight enough which had a little wiggle in it. I repeated the process and put it together right. After that, things were much better.

DSCN0786.jpg

I don't know what Kelly and Butler are accustomed to, but my standards this is outstanding repeatability from such a demanding process. To only shift a few inches each time I went through this process was more than I could hope for. This is as good or better than my old SLP, which I felt was excellent with slugs.

I finished up the session, by pitching it into the bucket one last time and then shooting my last 3 slugs off hand. Well... mostly offhand. I pushed my arm into the post to steady up for the shot. So I cheated a little. Anyway, I was very pleased with the final results.

DSCN0787.jpg

You can't imagine how happy I am with these results. When I first installed my original extension and clamp I got nearly 3ft of POI shift at 100yds. Now I get only a few inches of shift with this new one piece tube from Carbon Arms. I'm extremely pleased. Also, someone asked about durability. After about 10 times being thrown hard into a bucket, there isn't any damage or even a scratch on the carbon fiber tube and extension. One other take away is that a good barrel lock up is essential for slug accuracy on the Versa, so make sure that nut is nice and tight. When we were done on the rifle range, there was just enough time for 2 sets of trap, where I shot 24 and 24. It was a good afternoon.

Edited by co-exprs

A quick update: I had the Versa out for some 5 stand yesterday. My buddy Rich put about 100 shells through it and when finished I checked to see if the barrel nut was still tight. Everything was fine and the nut was still tight. I was actually a little surprised because, the nut on my nova backed off just s little, but the Versa was good.

I can't speak for Mark on prospective cost. I do know that he is working to bring this to market extremely fast. He may not even know the final number yet, and giving out ballparks is always dangerous.

I know what it will be if everything pans out, but the birds are not in the hand yet. It will not be cost prohibitive by any means. For a 4 or 5 shot extension with a low drag follower, you would be spending about $100 from Nordic, so it will be more than that. This will be 9 to 11 rounds as a complete package with a carbon fiber shroud. Beyond that, we still need to see where the material prices land. We will keep at it!

• 3 weeks later...