Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to refit old 586 w/ bad chamber; maybe 38 Super conversion?

tortuga

I have an old 586 that was beaten to death in USPSA revolver 20 years ago. It has a fantastic trigger, chamfered chambers and 5 ports on the barrel. Overall it is in OK shape but I think one of the chambers got bulged due to a bad charge in a .357 case. I think it was a case of too little, too fast powder in a .357 case.

Still shoots and extracts .38 special OK but .357 loads are very tough to extract due to the one bad chamber.Main reason it has been in the safe for so long.

I'd like to give it another lease on life. Looking over the forums it seems that a 38 special chamber might work; If I have this right, the 38 Super case is straight walled at .3840, the .357 is .3790. Reaming the cylinder to 38 super and using moon clips would be kind of cool, and I'm not worried about making major with it; USPSA minor or ICORE power levels would be fine.

If all that worked I'd put a 4" mountain gun barrel on it and shoot the heck out of it.

It definately pay to have a gunsmith check the buldge's location to see if the 38 super reamer will fix it.

You can purchace a cylinder for the S&W L frame for about $145 and return it to a 38/ 357 or go with he 38 super conversion. I have had my L frame changed over to a 38 super and enjoy shooting it in USPSA. Hope this is helpful.

Does the gun still shoot accurately with the one bulged chamber ?

If all your looking for is to go the moon clip route you could have your cylinder machined

and get a quantity of clips for the 38 spcl/SC/LC/SL (i.e. Super Length ) brass and

be done.

You mention that 38 special length brass extracts fine so you should be able to go to

the shorter lengths with out any problem.

Since you thinking about swapping the barrel out do you have plans to shoot this hybrid

in any competitions ? I only ask because the hybrids are only legal in certain arenas.

Good luck with your project, you've come to the right place for idea's I think.

A .38 Super reamer MIGHT clean up the jugged chamber or the shorter case not get into the damaged spot.

Problem is, it will cost you the price of the work to find out and if it is not successful it is wasted and you are still on the hook for a new cylinder.

Maybe the gunsmith can tell with ID gauges or borescope.