Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supplements to help old Joints - Knees specifically

Mark K

To preface my thoughts, I will say that I have a MS in exercise science in nutrition for what it's worth. I second all the comments about fish oil, and especially cutting out grains from your diet. Definitely don't stop squatting. The knee thrives on moving through a full range of motion (i.e. past parallel) under load. Proper footwear is important also. A neutral and firm sole is excellent to squat in as it allows our feet to do what they were designed to do. Squishy soles and big heels are killers. Making sure to get tight through the midsection and squeeze the glutes sets the rest of the body up for success when squatting. I think you will find it helpful in engaging more musculature and allowing the knee to track properly. Again, just my 2 cents. Good luck.

He is partially correct. I saw some articles about the cheaper fish oils being taken from fish close to the coast. They had higher levels of pollutants in them. The ones put out by reputable companies come from fish taken farther out.

• 2 months later...

I've learned the hard way not to use too much Ibuprofen..... due to prolonged use of heavy dosage, my kidney and liver functions are below normal. After extensive usage, the only thing that would work is collagen and cortizone shots. After that, at age 67, I'm now recovering from partial knee replacement.

• 6 months later...

Having good results with a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement from Costco named "Move Free". Noticed results within a couple of days. Not perfect, so a little ibuprofen every now and then. But since the supplement, not as much morning joint pain. btw - I'm 60 y.o.

• 4 weeks later...

Costco carries a brand made from Alaska salmon. Of course I recommend that. :)

In addition to fish oil, Glucosamine, minimizing gluten/grain/carbs, targeted exercise, yoga, the right shoes, and foam roller therapy - an occasional visit to a good massage therapist works wonders.

• 3 weeks later...