Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Started with the wrong magazine... ran out of ammo

NicVerAZ

IDPA match, shooting SSP, but still could be an issue in USPSA, especially limited.

I started and planned to use a make up shot to go into slide lock (IDPA rule) for a reload behind cover, but when my slide locked my mental shot counter was at 10. I knew something was odd.

I reloaded and went on to shoot the rest of the stage, which included a popper activating a fast riser. Wasted 1 round on the popper, then shot 3 at the riser. At that point I had 5 rounds left, for 3 targets remaining.

I was on slide lock again on the last target and when I went to grab my second magazine: no second magazine.

I was done and I had failed to neutralize the last target.

Instead of using my starting magazine, which was still tucked in the chest pocket of my vest, I used my first reload magazine. What I thought was my first reload magazine when I grabbed it was my second one.

Because I shot the last target out of the 0-1 zone, I ended with a failure to neutralize, plus the procedural for starting with only 10 rounds. And plenty of points down.

My solution in the future will be to put my index finger on my magazine while waiting for the SO to tell me to make ready. In USPSA there is less issue with handling loaded magazines and I am just used to carrying my starting magazine and even holding it vertical while airgunning the stage.

I started and planned to use a make up shot to go into slide lock (IDPA rule) ...

This will get you a 20 second FTDR penalty with the league I shoot in.

Out of 10 shots on 5 targets you always get down 0? I sure don't and a 1/4 second invested to turn a 1 into a 0 is always well spent, especially since it will also allow me to reload faster.

I started and planned to use a make up shot to go into slide lock (IDPA rule) ...

This will get you a 20 second FTDR penalty with the league I shoot in.

Out of 10 shots on 5 targets you always get down 0? I sure don't and a 1/4 second invested to turn a 1 into a 0 is always well spent, especially since it will also allow me to reload faster.

"Planning" for it is a no no. Being blatant about it in execution (three close hits on one target) is similarly gonna get ya smacked in some circles. Now, if you are taking head shots, which may be very reasonable in some scenarios, well...

Back on track - yep, been there, done that. Now I try hard to never put a partially spent mag back in a pouch, and to always use the same loading routine (chamber from a Barney mag that goes into a back pocket, seat a fresh fully loaded mag from another pocket/location, only have mags filled to division capacity on the belt).

Edited by kevin c

Done similar in USPSA shooting Open. Sometimes I used to start with the small stick with the plan to load the big stick early in a long stage where it was more convienent. Forgot to reload and ran the gun dry, which causes a standing relaod. Now I start with a big stick and reload to another big stick in case I forget. :cheers:

Gamers are every where? LMAO

Yes, I see a lot of people empty their clips... Oops, I mean magazine, I have been hearing too much anti-gun "bullets in the clip" fallacy these two days.

Anyway, in the game, a reload with retention can be a better solution than making up an unnecessary hit to a target with already 2 zeros, but in real life, would you allow yourself to make sure you shot the assailant or just go back behind your wall to do a retention reload?

Since IDPA is "real life scenario" oriented...

Did almost the same thing recently. Was having a great match then on the next to the last stage I forgot to get fresh mags from my bag. Wound up at slide lock with one steel and one paper left. Needless to say that killed the great score I had going. At least that's one less stupid thing I will do again. (I hope)

• 1 month later...