Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swaro Z6i BRT

P.E. Kelley

pat, the BRT reticle manual says the dot is 7MOA on 6x., not trying to argue its just that I must have read it over like 10 times and the dot took up the entire red circle of a dirty bird target. each dot and dash is 1 mil apart.

boomfab posted that the drops were .75 mil apart, sometime ago

off topic but its z6i related:

I'm still trying to figure out the reticle for ae223 55 fmj. istrelok data is totally different from the swaro program. I chrono'd 3 strings of 10 shots, total avg was 2960fps. does anyone know which one to trust? I know I should just shoot at the distances but the last time I tried to do that with an MTAC I spent the whole day out there. I didn't have a chrono then though. is there a book to learn this stuff?

I've seen a lot of misinformation on the BRT measurements... the real data is as follows:

Dot size is 1/3mil, or ~1.1moa at 6x... (2mil ~6.9moa at 1x)

Cross hairs and hold-over lines subtend 1/8mil (~.43moa) at 6x; heavy posts subtend .5mil (~2moa) at 6x

Hold-over dots are the same as the center dot; they subtend 1/3mil (~1.1moa) at 6x

Distance between each hold-over point, center-to-center, is 1mil (~3.438moa) at 6x

Bracket width from heavy post to heavy post is 12mil (41.3moa) at 6x

Hold-over line widths are 2mil, 4mil, and 6mil at 6x (windage markers bisect each half of the hold-over lines)

Edited by Xfactor

strelok data is totally different from the swaro program... does anyone know which one to trust?

I've found the data from the Swaro program to be a bit off...

I called Swaro and had a good chat with both the reticle designer, and the software engineer, and confirmed this.

Edited by Xfactor

i found with my Z6 1-6X that the recommended zero range did not work with my ammo. i spent some time on the range to find out where to zero mine so the stadia and dots would match down range distances, i.e. 300, 400, 500 and 600. I did not go past 600 as the range where i shoot doesn't go past that and most 3 gun matches don't either. Finally got it figgered out, so now i don't have an excuse for a miss.

If you really want to know how to use the Swarovski, I would drop Mike Voight an email and/or take a class from him. He gave me a hands on lesson at the Larue match this year right after he went 13 for 13 on the 12 shot sniper stage. The guy calling shots was slow and Mike did a make up on the last shot.

A class from Mike would be awesome - I'm sure he's an encyclopedia of 3-gun knowledge.

But as far as the basics of using the BRT reticle, there's not much too it...

Chrono your loads, run your load data in one of the established ballistic calcs (like JB, or "Shooter" for Android), and figure out a center cross hair zero distance that also zeros you at 300 at the first hold-over line. (This will depend on your load, but for most that I've seen, the center cross-hair zero ends up between 150 and 200 yards.) With this approach, the drop is very linear out to 500 yards, so I am spot on at 300yds at the first hold-over (1 mil drop), right in there at the first hold-over dot (2 mil drop) at 400 yards, and damn close to the second hold-over line (3 mil drop) at 500 yards.

And at medium range, pretty much any load will be very flat from about 75yards through about 200 yards, so there's no issue with holding center POA on steel all through this range at any magnification setting.

There are some other tricks I use if I want to get real precise at any particular yardage, but the 1 mil spacing for the hold-overs on this scope makes the basics very easy to work with.

Edited by Xfactor