Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying/setting up an ELS belt, any advice?

Mberry

I plan on purchasing an ELS belt with all the bells and whistles to go along with it on Monday. I'll be setting up for tac-optics and I also plan on shifting over to the SSLP8's for quad loading next season. Any advice from those that have made the switch? I'm thinking if I set up with nine receivers on the belt and have a few extra hooks for random gear swaps then I should be covered.

Also, how does the belt size work on these? Actual pants size, or similar to a CR speed? I wear a 34 in pants and run a 38 on a CR speed belt (with a little extra overlap).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I just finished setting up my Safariland ELS rig last month. I initially started building on my DAA belt but was convince by a friend to just bite it and go Safariland. No regrets ran it with it on my first match 2 weeks ago and loved it. I went one size up from a 36 waist to a 38 and it's just right. I have 8 ELS receivers mounted so far and am adding 2 more for more versatility. My current set-up has my Blade Tech DOH G34 holster on Tek-Loc, 2 Safariland 773 Glock mag pouches, a 774 AR pouch, 2 Carbon Arms FSL8s and 2 Mountain Man 4 shell carriers. I'm debating getting a BT WRS holster next year for better retention on the run and think I'll get a QLS for that when I do. The thing I really like is a couple guys that I shoot with also rum ELS and it's easy to borrow or test run each others gear.

I bought all of it from COPQUEST free shipping over $99 and at the time I bought searched and found a 20% off coupon code.

Edited by Boxerglocker

Just an FYI - coupon code "BF15" will get you 15% off at Copquest through Saturday 11/24

The ELS is a good rig. Took about an hour or two of messing around with the positioning of the various clips to get it set up, but once set up it is rock solid.

Just an FYI - coupon code "BF15" will get you 15% off at Copquest through Saturday 11/24

The ELS is a good rig. Took about an hour or two of messing around with the positioning of the various clips to get it set up, but once set up it is rock solid.

User error maybe, but I think that the only holster (with gun in it) Ive ever seen come off a rig during a stage was mounted with ELS.

Edited by gose

Run a size up for better overlap. I ran actual size inner belt and up a size for the outer. Or you can just order both pieces +1 size. Mount up 10 receivers. I personally run 11 for HeMan with an extra mag pouch on the back. Mount the male side adapters to your accessories upside down, so they slide up and lock. It will be much easier to get them on and off. Mount the holster male adapter traditionally (down). If a clip breaks and you drop a mag carrier, no biggie. You don't want the same risk on your pistol. It's true that with all of the screws attachements, you need to keep up with tightening things up. It's one area of additional maintenance I accept, due to the extreme payoff of conveinience. Just remember to check for loose mounting clips when you unpack your bag and it will always be ready to go.

User error maybe, but I think that the only holster (with gun in it) Ive ever seen come off a rig during a stage was mounted with ELS.

I've heard the same now after looking at the ELS clips I can see why. They are not designed for the extra weight of a holstered gun. The QLS clips are and some even rated for level 1 pull tests.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Is there any reason to not apply lock-tite to all the screws when I get everything in the right position?

I personally am opposed to using Loctite. Reason being that equipment change is a evolution of playing the game. Right now I'm set and have made certain adjustments that may have to change later down the line. For example, the FSL8 on my right side front, the fork is mounted upside down for easier removal and the entire ELS fork and receiver plate is mounted at a diagonal. This way if I remove the FSL and install my straight fork mounted AR pouch it sit at a convenient 45 degree angle for faster reloads.

Best advice I can give is when you set your belt up, make sure you put the two metal prongs on the outer belt in a place where you can put it on by yourself. I suggest having them hit just behind the holster. Mine is in the center of my back and I usually have to have help to make sure it's secure.

I will be setting up my ELS this weekend and got mine through Copquest as well with the discount and free shipping over $99 (won't take long to reach that amount). Definitely go with the QLS or MLS for your holster set up as those are actually geared towards a holster. Can't wait to get mine up and running.

• 2 months later...

I was a lucky bastard. Stopped by the Safariland booth at the SHOT Show to talk with a friend and they were getting ready to do a drawing so I threw my card in the bowl. Ended up getting a 50% card for up to $1000 worth of Safariland gear! So now this year me, my shooting buddy and my son will all be sporting ELS setups. BTW, 3 people can run up $1000 real fast!

Edited by T Bacus

how much $ do you all have in your belt rigs? i would love to set one up for 3gun but it scares me thinking how much it will cost! holster mount, 5 caddy mounts, 2 pistol mag mounts and 1 rifle mag mount!

I'm up over $1k easily, but I have:

2 Holster setups + parts for a 3rd

4 pistol mag pouches

2 AR mag pouches

4 308 mag pouches

6 MME Caddies

4 Carbon Arms load 2

1 4x4

1 belt

2 inner belts

I've heard the same now after looking at the ELS clips I can see why. They are not designed for the extra weight of a holstered gun. The QLS clips are and some even rated for level 1 pull tests.

I ran an SV and a Glock on an ELS clip with abosolutely no problems, my holster never came off. With either the DOH or directly to the ELS. I have switched over to the QLS for the pistol though, I just like how it holds it better.

My ELS rig is pretty modest - just got the belt system (inner/outer), two Equipment System Locking Kits (four quick detach points for mag pouches), and a couple extra locking fork kits. After using this belt for a while and liking it I relegated my trusty old Safariland 008 Final Option holster to back-up status and purchased a new Safariland 014 holster and screwed it directly to the belt.

The belt stuff was around $130 on sale at Brownells

The holster was $168 (but they can be had cheaper now)

I already had pistol and rifle mag pouches and the locking kits worked fine with them.

If all you need is the belt & the ELS kits themselves, you won't be in over $250, if I remember right. All my gear except the CCW shotgun caddies just fastened right up to the kits, no need to buy new stuff. I drilled the CCW & put nuts on them & they worked, too. YMMV but don't go buying a bunch of new gear just to use the ELS, check your stuff first. AP caddies, sidearmore holster, both my AR mag holders & my old safariland 773s all had holes right where they needed to be to work with the kits. I ordered 5 kits, which come with 2 pairs of forks & receivers, that is about $160 & the belt which may have been $60???

MLM

I ordered my ELS belt 4" longer than normal to make it easier to put it on with no help. It gives me enough length to reach back and pull it tight while getting it on the posts. It does not interfere with anything I have mounted. I use mine with a holster and 4-773 mag pouches.