Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" holsters

sschultz

I am going to be done with my rifle upgrades( till something new or better comes out). My plan is to build a 6" 9mm. I have been looking at holsters and have not found much for six inch guns. Is the new Safriland 014 legal for 3 gun. Also has anybody asked Bladetech to build a six inch holster.

Schultz

I have three 6" Blade-Tech dropped and offset (DOH) holsters --- a regular tan holster, a dark earth WRS holster (for retention) and then for some reason I got another regular holster in dark earth.

They are "regular" items that you can select from their dropdowns.

http://blade-tech.com/Dropped-Offset-Holster-w-Tek-Lok-pr-1167.html

I got the 6" SVI with the short dust cover version. It fits my 5" and 6" SVI's, my 5" and 6" Paras and my 5" Kimber and Norinco.

Bladetech makes a 6 inch holster. I like the 6 inch stingray over the DOH holster from bladetech. The Safriland 014 is legal but I would go Kydex. If safariland made the ALS in the 6inch gun I would have one but Kydex is the way to go for 3 gun. A raceholster is just not needed as your not winning by a fast draw. Get a holster that secures and protects the gun

In USPSA it is legal. With the other "outlaw" matches you would need to read the rules for each match. For example the 014 would be illegal at SMM3G in Tac Scope.

Per the SMMG 2013 rules:

5.3 Tactical Scope Division

5.3.2.1 Handgun holsters must be a practical/tactical carry style and must safely retain the handgun during vigorous movement.

Semiautomatic pistol holsters must completely cover the trigger. Revolver holsters must completely cover the trigger and the

cylinder. The belt upon which the handgun holster is attached must be worn at waist level. Shoulder holsters and cross draw holsters

are prohibited.

I went with a blade tech and am very happy. They were easy to work with, told them the closest type of gun I had, as my 6" 9mm was a custom. Couple weeks later it showed up and fit great. I got a DOH with their wrs hood and love it. Good people to work with.

Here is the holster with pistol cocked and locked, and hammer down as well as a front view. The holster comes with standard Phillips screws to adjust tension. I know someone makes knurled screws for on the fly adjustments as well. I found these screws at my local hardware store, I think they were called lamp screws and have a knurled surface. They only came in brass that I tried to cold blue, and as you can see the bluing is wearing. I may try paint someday but I'm not to worried as they work fine. I think they were 8-32 but I'd have to double check so don't quote me on that.

post-32007-0-53561000-1354374490_thumb.j

post-32007-0-14942500-1354374500_thumb.j

post-32007-0-79377700-1354374507_thumb.j

Edited by bluepythons

• 3 weeks later...

I called blade tech to day and the young lady I talked was not aware of a holster for a 6" gun. She checked with another person and sent me an e-mail saying that they did not have a holster with wrs for a 6" gun. Anybody that has bought have a name to contact at Blade-tech.

Schultz

Hello: I have a Blade Tech DOH for a 6" STI with a long dust cover. That way it will do for a 5" Edge, 5" Eagle or a 6" with a standard dust cover or long dust cover. I use tension screws from 3-gun stuff and when they are tightened the pistol will not move. I also wish that Safariland would make a 6" holster for STI type pistols. Thanks, Eric