Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety removal on DA/SA

NicVerAZ

If my pistol has ambidextrous safeties, can I remove one and tape over it?

I shoot a GP6 (or rather K100) in production and start double action per the rules. It is not necessary to engage the safety in this situation and it actually cannot be engaged when the hammer is all the way down. In the half-cocked position, it is possible. It is also my primary self defense pistol and I keep loaded, double action as well, safety off in that situation.

I was in the middle of a stage when I accidentally pushed the safety up and I wasted a few seconds.

I don't ride the safety with my thumb, because it is just not placed in a good position for my thumb. I'd rather remove the left side safety, keep the right side one and put skate tape over the area for improved grip.

My question is: is this USPSA/ISPC legal at all?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I did read section 22.1 "Disabling of any external safety or externally operated safety".

• Remains in effect – external- and externally operated safety mechanisms must remain operable. (no change)
  • For purposes of this clause, the prohibition on “disabling” means that you may NOT modify an external safety mechanism in any way that affects its function as a safety per the OEM design.

It seems that the removal of the lever does not leave anything externally visible on one side. If an external safety mechanism remains, it seems I would still be legal.

Appendix E4 does shows two types of pistols: one with a trigger safety (a Glock) and one with a safety level on the left side (a 226). But it does not say anything else particular as to why and does not describe the two types of pistols illustrated and does not name them either by brand or type of safety.

In the case of the Glock, the tape is allowed to be placed right under the slide. In my case, tape would cover the hole where a lever used to be, but it would not disengage a safety lever. The remaining one, on the right side, would not be covered by tape, nor be disengaged by it. The tape is not placed over a button or a lever, just over a hole where a lever used to be.

Edited by NicVerAZ

If my pistol has ambidextrous safeties, can I remove one and tape over it?

I shoot a GP6 (or rather K100) in production and start double action per the rules. It is not necessary to engage the safety in this situation and it actually cannot be engaged when the hammer is all the way down. In the half-cocked position, it is possible. It is also my primary self defense pistol and I keep loaded, double action as well, safety off in that situation.

I was in the middle of a stage when I accidentally pushed the safety up and I wasted a few seconds.

I don't ride the safety with my thumb, because it is just not placed in a good position for my thumb. I'd rather remove the left side safety, keep the right side one and put skate tape over the area for improved grip.

My question is: is this USPSA/ISPC legal at all?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I did read section 22.1 "Disabling of any external safety or externally operated safety".

• Remains in effect – external- and externally operated safety mechanisms must remain operable. (no change)
  • For purposes of this clause, the prohibition on “disabling” means that you may NOT modify an external safety mechanism in any way that affects its function as a safety per the OEM design.

It seems that the removal of the lever does not leave anything externally visible on one side. If an external safety mechanism remains, it seems I would still be legal.

Appendix E4 does shows two types of pistols: one with a trigger safety (a Glock) and one with a safety level on the left side (a 226). But it does not say anything else particular as to why and does not describe the two types of pistols illustrated and does not name them either by brand or type of safety.

In the case of the Glock, the tape is allowed to be placed right under the slide. In my case, tape would cover the hole where a lever used to be, but it would not disengage a safety lever. The remaining one, on the right side, would not be covered by tape, nor be disengaged by it. The tape is not placed over a button or a lever, just over a hole where a lever used to be.

It doesn't matter. 21.1 states you may not disable the safety. Regardless if its used in the course of fire, the Oem design had it present such that pressing the lever upward would engage the safety per design. If it does not - it's an illegal modification.

Yeah, in the "no" crowd as well. At first glance, you're not disabling it. But then they clearly define what "disabling" means per USPSA definitions. "means that you may NOT modify an external safety mechanism in any way that affects its function as a safety per the OEM design."

Key words there are "modify" "in any way"

"A modification is

only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules

clause or interpretation which specifically declares

that it is allowed in the Division."

I went through this myself over a decock lever several month back, even consulted John Amidon looking for a rule to allow it. Bottom line: Unless the manufacturer produced a model with one safety lever it's an illegal mod.