Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Jame Gumb

taking off the vent rib?

Is it possible to take the vent rib off my benelli and put it back in later? I've got some pretty awesome gunsmiths, just wondering if its possible?

kampr   

:surprise: Why??

Just about anything is possible, but it doesn’t seem very cost effective. You’d be better off getting another barrel

dhill   

If im not mistaken the vent ribs are sautered/brazed to the barrel so heat should do the trick. Just be careful, too much heat will damage the barrel.

Edited by dhill

thai_cat   

It is possible only to take off ventilated rib, using dremel for example. But itis not possible to put it back. Only new and only in factory. And cost will be so high.

Removing the vent rib takes brute force and will leave your barrel looking like crap. The rib's posts are brazed to the barrel, and I suspect it will be tough to get them hot enough without damaging the barrel's steel. I am told the correct method is to pry the rib off, then clean up the residue with a file and refinish. I doubt blue would take well due to the brazing residue, so you would have to paint the barrel. Reinstalling the rib will be very challenging as this task is done by robots nowadays. Even if you have the best gunsmith in the world, I think this adventure will end up being expensive and ugly, with a high % chance of trashing your barrel.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

GunCat   

Removing the vent rib takes brute force and will leave your barrel looking like crap. The rib's posts are brazed to the barrel, and I suspect it will be tough to get them hot enough without damaging the barrel's steel. I am told the correct method is to pry the rib off, then clean up the residue with a file and refinish. I doubt blue would take well due to the brazing residue, so you would have to paint the barrel. Reinstalling the rib will be very challenging as this task is done by robots nowadays. Even if you have the best gunsmith in the world, I think this adventure will end up being expensive and ugly, with a high % chance of trashing your barrel.

What he said...

I've taken off a few ribs for those that ask. Every time I wonder “why?” Taking a rib off via mechanical force and draw filing the remaining solder off the barrel is not too difficult. Putting a rib on a barrel is another story. If the job is done right you'll likely be able to buy a new barrel (even a Benelli barrel) for less cost.

kurtm   

Oh come on guys, I just saw some adds, after your done and she is happy you can take those "Ribs" right off :roflol:

Cuz I wanna take it off man! How is it attached? I got spare barrels, I just want to mess with this one

Before you follow through with this seek mental help and then see if you still want to ruin the barrel.

Pat

Is it possible to take the vent rib off my benelli and put it back in later? I've got some pretty awesome gunsmiths, just wondering if its possible?

You could use some hose clamps, bread ties or zip ties to hold it back on after you pull it off. :roflol:

Yes. But your name and fake real name make all of this moot. "Buffalo Bill" from Silence of the Lambs. Not really funny.

I don't know why everyone is getting all butt hurt! I was just wondering if I could. Seems like I can but shouldn't. No need for you all to get your panties in a bunch!

No one is getting but hurt its just a really really bad idea and its a bit shocking someone would even ask. Its like its it possible to cut my arm off and live if I use a dull spoon?

Pat