Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

taking off the vent rib?

Jame Gumb

If im not mistaken the vent ribs are sautered/brazed to the barrel so heat should do the trick. Just be careful, too much heat will damage the barrel.

Edited by dhill

Removing the vent rib takes brute force and will leave your barrel looking like crap. The rib's posts are brazed to the barrel, and I suspect it will be tough to get them hot enough without damaging the barrel's steel. I am told the correct method is to pry the rib off, then clean up the residue with a file and refinish. I doubt blue would take well due to the brazing residue, so you would have to paint the barrel. Reinstalling the rib will be very challenging as this task is done by robots nowadays. Even if you have the best gunsmith in the world, I think this adventure will end up being expensive and ugly, with a high % chance of trashing your barrel.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Removing the vent rib takes brute force and will leave your barrel looking like crap. The rib's posts are brazed to the barrel, and I suspect it will be tough to get them hot enough without damaging the barrel's steel. I am told the correct method is to pry the rib off, then clean up the residue with a file and refinish. I doubt blue would take well due to the brazing residue, so you would have to paint the barrel. Reinstalling the rib will be very challenging as this task is done by robots nowadays. Even if you have the best gunsmith in the world, I think this adventure will end up being expensive and ugly, with a high % chance of trashing your barrel.

What he said...

I've taken off a few ribs for those that ask. Every time I wonder “why?” Taking a rib off via mechanical force and draw filing the remaining solder off the barrel is not too difficult. Putting a rib on a barrel is another story. If the job is done right you'll likely be able to buy a new barrel (even a Benelli barrel) for less cost.

Is it possible to take the vent rib off my benelli and put it back in later? I've got some pretty awesome gunsmiths, just wondering if its possible?

Yes. But your name and fake real name make all of this moot. "Buffalo Bill" from Silence of the Lambs. Not really funny.

• 5 years later...

Just stumbled across this oldy, and I'm curious...  What is the going philosophy on this subject as we are coming up on 2018?  I've heard of multiple people removing the rib on their 3-gun shotguns in an effort to avoid the ol' slug drift as the barrel heats up, which makes sense to me (barrel heats and elongates, rib heats more slowly, not elongating as much, pulls barrel up).  Is the barrel going to be less rigid without the rib to the point that any accuracy benefit is negated because you're firing slugs through a noodle?  Has anybody here tried this?

I have noticed the effect, my slugs hit poa/poi when cold, but after I fire a bunch of rounds in a match and I need to hit slugs, I notice they are hitting high, and usually to the right, as well.  Not going to fire up the Dremel and torch yet, but I find the idea intriguing as many matches I go to seem to like to make tricky slug shots part of their stage designs, and they aren't always early in the stage.

Dillen Easley has a gun done by RCI that has the parts of the rib between the attachment pillars removed. I haven’t looked down the barrel of it but it looks like it would still have the same sight picture as a regular vent rib. It looks good and I have always thought it was a good idea.

23 hours ago, Nathan said:

Just stumbled across this oldy, and I'm curious...  What is the going philosophy on this subject as we are coming up on 2018?  I've heard of multiple people removing the rib on their 3-gun shotguns in an effort to avoid the ol' slug drift as the barrel heats up, which makes sense to me (barrel heats and elongates, rib heats more slowly, not elongating as much, pulls barrel up).  Is the barrel going to be less rigid without the rib to the point that any accuracy benefit is negated because you're firing slugs through a noodle?  Has anybody here tried this?

I have noticed the effect, my slugs hit poa/poi when cold, but after I fire a bunch of rounds in a match and I need to hit slugs, I notice they are hitting high, and usually to the right, as well.  Not going to fire up the Dremel and torch yet, but I find the idea intriguing as many matches I go to seem to like to make tricky slug shots part of their stage designs, and they aren't always early in the stage.

Have you tried to duplicate the barrel heat in practice to see where your POA/POI is outside of match conditions? Shoot slugs from a cold barrel, shoot 25 rounds of bird and then shoot slugs again, note the difference under somewhat controlled conditions.

Many times we shoot close paper with rifles before shooting distant steel at three gun matches, so I try to duplicate that when I go to the range to shoot my rifle.

Hurley

18 hours ago, HRider said:

Have you tried to duplicate the barrel heat in practice to see where your POA/POI is outside of match conditions? Shoot slugs from a cold barrel, shoot 25 rounds of bird and then shoot slugs again, note the difference under somewhat controlled conditions.

Many times we shoot close paper with rifles before shooting distant steel at three gun matches, so I try to duplicate that when I go to the range to shoot my rifle.

Hurley

Enough to verify it’s a thing, but nothing too scientific, which is odd for me.  I’m usually the guy who charts and documents dope as much as possible, but with a gun shooting approx 6 MOA I haven’t gotten too deep into it.  I just know if it’s the beginning of the stage hold center, if it’s late hold low left, lol.  With the exception of Hard as Hell’s 100 yard spinner I’ve not left a slug target FTN, yet!  And for those who were there, yes I went for it.