Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well no longer a Geisselle 3G trigger user.

Alaskapopo

My geisselle trigger worked for the first 2 seasons just fine with no issue. Then late in the summer I started to get doubles. Geisselle sent me a heavier trigger return spring and I tried it but did not like the weight. I sent the trigger back to Geisselle and not sure what they did but it seemed to work for a few matches and then I got some more doubles. I tried the heavier trigger return spring and was just going to live with the increased pull weight. That worked for a match and then during practice the other day I got 4 doubles. In fairness to Geisselle the doubles occure when I am not in a solid shooting position. I spoke with a rep from Geisselle today and they were polite but told me there was not anything they could do. I am going back to a two stage Geisselle SSE. Their 2 stage triggers have been good for me in the past and are more forgiving on akward shooting positions. But they are slower. Makes me thing that the doubles I had in the past with a JP trigger may have been partly my fault as well. A buddy of mine with a new Stag 3G had a double in the last match as well and that rifle uses a Geisselle 3G.

Pat

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I have the S3G trigger, and no issues. Granted I have not shot it as much as you yet. I wonder if the S3G trigger is too light for some. If Geissele didn't find anything wrong with the trigger (defective). May be being so light, unintentional bump firing can occur due to improper hold on rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance your lower's trigger pin holes have enlarged? Or are the pin's worn? I had an issue with a trigger that was related to the lower being slightly out of spec. It worked fine in another lower. Since then I just stick to the match triggers that install as a unit so they hold their tolerance without any issues.

To me the ultra positive reset combined with the shorter pull length of the S3G seemed to invite unintentional doubles more so than other triggers. More trigger finger tension when trying to ride out the trigger. Probably just me though.

I loaned my 3G to a guy at a club match. He was a first time shooter and he had doubles with both my guns. I had the stock set to short for him and both were bump firing.

My buddy has the same issue frequently with his JP trigger.

I have the Colt CRP-18 with the same 3G trigger. I have to be very careful to not double the shot. With the super short reset it is very prone to doubling. I am going to swap lowers and see if my JP is better for me.

The doubles happened when I was not in a stable shooting stance generally. Either leaning back slightly or kneeling without a good brace. Onces was when I was prone but using my off set red dot so my rifle was free floating a bit. Here is a video of 2 such doubles.

Around 41 seconds in.

Mark PM heading your way.

Pat

Alaska, that is exactly what mine does. Pisses me off because all it does is waste ammo. I am definitely in favor of selling it and getting another JP.

jp installed never happens...in fact, had a mccormick drop in for 4 years that never doubled either. just saying

Alaska, that is exactly what mine does. Pisses me off because all it does is waste ammo. I am definitely in favor of selling it and getting another JP.

I was worried about being DQ'd for unsafe equipment. At least that is what the Match director said he was about to do after that stage. I really like only one bullet per pull of the trigger.

Pat

Any trigger can "bump" double. Any AR with a lightened bolt carrier and a mil-spec firing pin can double. Let's not get too carried away criticising "doubles" blamed on specific equipment without knowing all of the parameters.

First time one of my ARs doubled was when Casanova was shooting it...has not since. While it is fun to blame him, it was likely an anomoly. Triggers under 2#s with no overtravel are going to be more likely to bump double...not the components fault, it is the guy who set up the trigger combined with the technique.

Any RO/CRO/RM worth his salt will know this and not only not stop you, but not worry about it much.

I only have about 500 rounds on my sd3g but I have had it double twice using the heavier supplied spring while on the bench. Almost got my kicked out because of "rapid fire". Have yet to have it happen while standing though but I see a lot of accidental doubles at matches with other triggers as well

I put my 3G in because I was getting unintentional doubles, triples and one time a burst of 5 with the super light single stage trigger that came in my rifle. So far no issues. The 3g has plenty of overtravel so I'm not sure how I could ride it into doubling. My other trigger had almost no travel at all.

Edited by waktasz

Pat, you are lucky that your trigger did not do it all the time, most of the people that I shoot with that tried them abandon them pretty quickly because they go burst easily. You can blame the shooter or you can blame the trigger, but it does not matter, they still send more bullets downrange than intended. I hope you end up enjoying your new trigger as much as you did your old one.

DQ for unsafe equipment?

I don't know about that. It's common to bump and slam fire rifles. In military form the rifle is burst / FA capable.

Pistol... maybe. But rifle? No way.

But a military rifle only fires that way when the shooter intends it to. Here the rifle fired rounds when the shooter DIDN'T intend.

Like a car that stops on a dime when you jam on the brakes, you intended to stop. But if it stops on its own while doing 70mph on the freeway, that could be a safety issue.