Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm minor

goose2125

Hi everyone i am new here and also new to open guns. My question is i am gonna be ready to take the leap in the next couple months for an open, But her lies my problem i wanna shoot factory rounds for the first year or so as i have an inventory already of 26,000 rnds. Ive done sum research and seen that sti offers the steel master thats will run factory just fine.Is their any other makers out their that offer an out of box gun that will run factory rounds without constant tinkering with it ?

Hi Goose,

STI is about the only "factory" for Open guns but there are tons of great gunsmiths that can get you an Open gun in a reasonable amount of time. Depends on what you what there, either more customization or having to pick up an off-the-shelf gun to start running.

However, if you did get just any Open gun, most will run factory ammo with just a switch of the recoil spring. All mine will run factory and 9Major without a change in springs but it does help to get the right spring for your load.

Good luck and welcome to the forum...

In hard chrome? That might be a little difficult. I know Dawson and Brazos do a lot of STI guns and then will do reliability jobs and hard chroming but that takes more time and the cost goes up. Once you are over the 50 post mark on the forum, you can ask the members if anyone has one to sell. Of course, if you are looking for used, this is probably the best place to buy it along with some of the well known auction sites.

Used price for one?? I am thinking in the low to mid 2K mark, depending on extra work that was done and if mags come with it or not.

i have an inventory of 26,000 rnds.

Mike, what kind of ammo is it? Some ammo is "hotter"

than others -

One problem you might encounter is that 9mm STI's use

.38 super mags, which are 1.25" long - 9mm factory loads

are frequently 1.1 - 1.15" long - so the shorter rounds

have a tendency to NOT feed in the mags, especially without

spacers.

I fed my TruBor factory Remington green box 115 grain ammo

at 1100 fps - as long as the gun was clean and well lubed,

it ran pretty well, but I did have spacers.

:cheers:

Is their any other makers out their that offer an out of box gun that will run factory rounds without constant tinkering with it ?

Call Bobby Carver and get one of his G17s already built and it will eat all of your wwb and you will never have to work on it, accuracy will be the same if not better. The trigger will have a bit more pre travel but after a while you wont even notice it. Or watch the classifieds if your quick you can pick up a used rig with mags for a good price but they usually go fast.

On the glock, check out the ones carver does with the SJC mount. With the carver mount your basically stuck with a cr speed holster. with the SJC mount, you can use something like the racemaster, ghost etc

Beat me to it. Bobby can build an open Glock with either mount (His, or SJC's) and they run reliable, and fast. Check my youtube link to see my Carver in action. cycles pretty quick. You can check out his website www.BB-Enterprise.biz and look around.

on the ammo topic.....FMJ's will leave lead deposits in your comp due to the exposed lead base. Not an issue, just have to maintain it or the buildup will start to clog everything up regardless of open gun type. Good luck in your choice.

Keep your eye on the classifieds, I just picked up a nice SS 45, I'm thinking of trying that for awhile if I do I will have a carver 17 open gun mags and holster up for sale soon...Might regret it though, but I have to many as it is :-)

My buddy's Czech mate ran minor handloads and factory ammo just fine OOB.

After replacing the recoil spring and a worn extractor, my Open Tanfoglio now has over 1k minor handloads and factory (115gr Am Eagle) rounds through is without any issues.

• 4 weeks later...

I know I am a little late to the party, but, I have a Dawson tuned Steelmaster that has ran all factory ammo that I have fed it. I have had my Steelmaster for a couple years and have only changed the scope mount, I went to a 90 degree from Matt Burkett. I did have an issue with one of my factory big sticks, I would get alot stove pipes from empties hitting the scope mount. None of my other 6 mags had this issue, I changed the mount and no more jams.

If you can't find a used one, Get a new one that Dawson has done, you won't be sorry.

Doug