Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 JM Pro rear sight question

Boxerglocker

For guys running a 930 JM Pro. What rear sight are you using?

I have a 22 inch 8+1 paid for, picking it up Friday (on hold at the FFL :( )and want to get a rear sight or replacement front and matching rear sight set ordered.

I'm looking at getting the HiViz C400-1 series set up http://www.hivizsights.com/products/shotgun-sights/c-series.html

Wondering however if just the rear TS series sight http://www.hivizsights.com/ts-series.html will work with the stock front.

Thanks

Edited by Boxerglocker

I have the rear sight only and it works perfect with the factory front. I actually run the elevation adjustment all the way down so that the sight is touching the rib on my gun. I have my gun zeroed at 100yds.

I have the rear sight only and it works perfect with the factory front. I actually run the elevation adjustment all the way down so that the sight is touching the rib on my gun. I have my gun zeroed at 100yds.

I bought the same, rear sight only, and need to have it at it's lowest setting. This leads me to believe a taller front sight would allow for more adjustment. Please tell me what are you shooting that zeroed in at 100 yards. What's your POA at 50 yards and at 100 yards?

Thank you,

Steve

I bought the same, rear sight only, and need to have it at it's lowest setting. This leads me to believe a taller front sight would allow for more adjustment. Please tell me what are you shooting that zeroed in at 100 yards. What's your POA at 50 yards and at 100 yards?

Thank you,

Steve

This seems to be the consensus for those using the stock front. I'm going to order the set and try it both ways. I wouldn't feel very happy without a range of adjustment and having the rear just resting on the lowest position. I'll be zeroing in at 100 yards.

Thank you,

Steve

I normally use Remington Low Recoil Slugger rounds and aiming on a normal USPSA paper target and usually have a palm size group in the A zone. I do not have to shift my point of aim at any distance out to around 125yds. I know this because at one of the past BRM3G matches, Andy put a metal USPSA sized target at I believe 128yds. I haven't worried with trying to find a taller front sight because honestly when do we really ever shoot past 75 yards much less past 100. I have taken "pot shots" at 200 yds and even 280 and hit targets, but that was a whole lot of luck involved. At 280 I would have done just as good holding the gun at waist level and "walk" the slugs in like a mortar!!!

Thank you,

Steve

I normally use Remington Low Recoil Slugger rounds and aiming on a normal USPSA paper target and usually have a palm size group in the A zone. I do not have to shift my point of aim at any distance out to around 125yds. I know this because at one of the past BRM3G matches, Andy put a metal USPSA sized target at I believe 128yds. I haven't worried with trying to find a taller front sight because honestly when do we really ever shoot past 75 yards much less past 100. I have taken "pot shots" at 200 yds and even 280 and hit targets, but that was a whole lot of luck involved. At 280 I would have done just as good holding the gun at waist level and "walk" the slugs in like a mortar!!!

I haven't shot many slugs yet. Are you using Cyl. choke or can you use Mod.?

Thanks

I have a 22 inch 8+1 paid for, picking it up Friday (on hold at the FFL :( )and want to get a rear sight or replacement front and matching rear sight set ordered.

I'm looking at getting the HiViz C400-1 series set up http://www.hivizsights.com/products/shotgun-sights/c-series.html

Wondering however if just the rear TS series sight http://www.hivizsights.com/ts-series.html will work with the stock front.

Thanks

Those look like the stock sights that came with the turkey barrel I bought. They might be fine for a turkey blind but would get knocked around way too much during most 3 gun matches. I could easily see them folding up or shifting to the side pulling the gun out of a staging barrel or going through tight ports. I had Trapr @ Redneck Tactical cut my vent rib and install an XS Sight. I don't use it when shooting birdshot (and can easily avoid it) but can use it to line up correctly for slug shots.

post-26093-0-61575400-1350681790_thumb.j

Thanks

Those look like the stock sights that came with the turkey barrel I bought. They might be fine for a turkey blind but would get knocked around way too much during most 3 gun matches. I could easily see them folding up or shifting to the side pulling the gun out of a staging barrel or going through tight ports. I had Trapr @ Redneck Tactical cut my vent rib and install an XS Sight. I don't use it when shooting birdshot (and can easily avoid it) but can use it to line up correctly for slug shots.

I like the XS sights but the only issue I see with them is major downside being the elevation isn't adjustable for various slug loads.

BTW Does anyone have any experience removing the stock front sight? I heard it's tapped and drilled. I'm assuming that the stock light tube would have to be removed?

Edited by Boxerglocker

The 930 front bead is screwed into a hole on the vent rib. You can easily take it out for replacement.

The factory thread size is 5-40. If the new bead you want to add is only available in a 6-48 thread (more common size) just have your local gunsmith drill out the existing hole and re-tap.

• 2 weeks later...

Got up early this morning and installed the rear Hiviz, sorry for the crappy pics but didn't want to wake the rest of the family looking for the camera. (Sorry only link, Snapfish apparently is not approved by the site for image insertions)

http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63587%3Enu%3D68%3C5%3E%3A47%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D346%3B64%3C735345nu0mrj

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp54397%3Enu%3D68%3C5%3E%3A47%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D346%3B5%3B7%3A%3B3345nu0mrj

I'm gonna sight it in maybe this afternoon if the wind dies down.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Boxerglocker, you ever get those sighted in? Looking at purchasing a set and would like to hear some reviews.

Thanks!

Hey Os... yeah got the rear sighted in with B&P one oz slugs. At the lowest setting it shoots about 6-8 inches high at 100 yards. I'm still debating whether to bend the barrel or change the OEM front with the HizViz that came with the set to try out. I also thought of possibly raising the OEM front and shimming.

Hey Mitch..didn't realize that was you! I just got the hiviz set in the mail today so I'm going to zero tomorrow at RFG. If you're in the neighborhood, swing by and let's do some drills! I'm trying to have my gear squared away for this Saturday's match.

• 1 month later...

I'm not next to my JM (and it's pretty new to me) but I recall that there are several threaded holes to mount a rear site in the rib. Is there not a sight that simply bolts to those holes?

I got a little concerned reading reviews of the Hi-Viz. I heard (via a MidwayUSA review) that the front site (which I probably won't use anyway) is only held on with a magnet, and the rear site clamps on the rib and is prone to losing zero??? Does not sound like a very good plan for a competition site package.

I am interested in the XS and the Tru-Glo rear sights. Anyone else have any more information??

The hi-viz sights we use are screwed into the existing hole used for the front sight. We also install a small pin to keep the sight from "walking" side to side. We dovetail the XS rear sight into the vent rib. The 4 screws on top of the receiver are for mounting a rail.

I use the hiviz rear sight as well and with the stock front sight (and .250 stock drop) slugs were still 10 inches high at 50 yards on the lowest rear sight setting. I created a spaced for the front sight out of a piece of plastic and placed it under the front sight with lock tight on the threads and am now spot on at 50 yards. The spacer is approx. 1/8" thick and still allows enough threads of the front sight to grab without working loose (after one match so far).

Cheers,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 930 but not the JM version (wasn't out when I bought mine).

Was having hell getting slugs to hit where I wanted.

Got the Hi-Viz Four-in-One sights with the tall front sight and it now shoots perfectly.