Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolff still the spring to buy?

reloader901

Wolf or ISMI.

Just be aware the ISMI springs tend to run 1-2lbs lighter than advertised. For instance a new 10lb ISMI 1911 recoil spring actually measured a little more than 9lbs. Wolf's 10lb spring measured almost exactly 10lbs.

From what I can tell recoil springs are advertised using a "Spring Load". Meaning the amount of pressure applied when the spring is compressed the distance of the slide at full lock (1.650" from the end of the guide rod for a 1911, if I recall correctly). The spring rate is probably only around 2lb/in.

I've used a spring scale to compress the spring over a piece of threaded rod. I've also used a FLGR and a postage scale. I marked the compression distance on the FLGR and used the guide rod cap thingy to compress the spring which in turn pushes down on the scale.

• 4 weeks later...
:D I purchased a set of recoil springs and hammer springs for my sig 229 in 40sw.the fatory springs are a bear to slide the slide and lock,well replaced the recoil spring with same lbs. as the sig and reduced the hammer spring one lb.the wolf springs did make a improvment with easier slide recoil and the hammer spring 1 lb reduction was very well come.did improve my shooting some which is all ways well come it was money well spentl

I may be wrong but I heard that Springco is the only manufacturer that puts their springs on a tester to get the weight so a 10lb is a 10lb.

All the others get their weights by specifying material thickness and number of coils etc... and they don't actually test them. This is why the ISMI run heavier because they are supposed to weigh a certain weight but they have never been put on a spring tester so they don't know?

I actually use ISMI springs quite a bit but when I started messing with spring with my 9mm open gun I bought a few Springco springs so I know exactly what it works with.

Neal in AZ

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier this year I went out and bought some ISMI's and Wolff Springs. I tried them both in my 1911 and there was a huge difference in stated rates. The Wolff springs were much, much more stiffer than the ISMI's. I think it is more important to stick with one brand, once you know what you/your gun likes.

• 1 month later...

I finally bought a spring tester for $30 because I kept losing track of which spring was in the gun and/or when they needed to be changed. I've saved that much in springs in the last year!

Could you post a link or brand of spring tester you bought? I haven't seen one for that price and I'd like to get something I can use on small gun springs.

Thanks

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I finally bought a spring tester for $30 because I kept losing track of which spring was in the gun and/or when they needed to be changed. I've saved that much in springs in the last year!

Could you post a link or brand of spring tester you bought? I haven't seen one for that price and I'd like to get something I can use on small gun springs.

Thanks

Dave

+1 would like a link. I have always used Wolff