Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production? How many mags

Blue Jacket

6 on the belt + 1 in the gun.

All belt mags are loaded to 10, with a mag in the front pocket to 11 for LMR. If an unloaded start, I'll strip a round to my back pocket and use it to start. I have never used the 6th mag on my belt, and rarely ever use the 5th. However always better to have extra and not need it than to drop a mag, not seat a mag, etc and run out.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

4 on belt, one loaded to 11 in my carpenter pocket on most stages for a load mag.

On some stages, like all mags on the table start, I'll end up taking that extra round out and putting it in my pocket.

50 or 51 rounds should be enough to finish any 32 round stage with plenty of reload options <_<

Am I missing anything here?

Shot a stage last weekend. It was 4 arrays of 3 targets (6 rounds each) with some tight shots going through 3 doors. Last array was 8 shots, some tight and one target was a mover. That is 5 arrays, 4 reloads was the best way to shoot it. If you dropped one, bobbled one, 1 shot drop of an unseated mag...you would have needed that last mag. This is where I lost a mag going through a door. If I had run 4+1, I would have been hosed.

I take 8 mags to a USPSA pistol match so if I have any mag related issues, that one goes in the bottom of the range bag for the rest of the match.

This is my approach. Always take spares.

• 2 weeks later...

I run 5+1 also. I've had bobbles where I've gone to grab a mag and knocked another out of the pouch, I've reloaded in the wrong place (off plan) and reloaded again just to get back on plan. We've had 25+ yard plate racks and other challenging shots that needed more rounds than planned on.

It also comes down to how much are you going to miss? I've seen new shooters go through 8 mags in a stage and still end up short. Tough stuff to watch.

1st time I used the dot on my Carry Gun for more than just group shooting and I used ALL 6 of my mags for a plate rack but it taught me a valuable lesson on learning the dot in odd positions and sweat in my eyes.

The way I shoot...as many as possible, but usually 5 on my belt and 1 in the gun works fine. That's why I like the ELS system so much. My belt is set up with 8 receivers so if I encounter a marathon stage or I'm just having a bad day, I have a quick and easy solution to add additional mags.

• 1 month later...

41 rounds, 3 mags on belt and 1 in gun. Probably be better off to load them up and shoot Limited. BUT, at my level, I'm just working on improving and mostly having a fun family outing at the match. I really love this game and don't want it to turn into golf, where I would spend $40 to be pissed off for 4 hours. Plus, my money is going for the kids to allow them to progress as fast as their interest allows. They get more mags first. LOL!

B

I run 5 on the belt and 1 in the gun or pocket depending on if the stage starts with a loaded gun. I have never once ended up using my 6th mag but my motto is, "Better too much than too little." I have seen too many guys run dry on some of the harder stages with a texas star or some swingers.

I am generally regarded as the king of overkill. I have 10, 15 rnd mags that I load the night before a match. Two of these mags have a painted base and serve as my starting mags so they get 11 rounds. I strip the 11th round out if it's an unloaded start. I never strip my mags below 10 rounds and force myself to mentally and physically comply when it's Virginia count.. It's worked for me for the better part of 10 years. (of course my post ban mags were only loaded to 10 rounds and manually toped off. What a pain).