Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production? How many mags

Blue Jacket

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry 5 on the belt and 1 in the pocket. Most Prod shooters I know carry 4/5 and 1 in the pocket.

Production shooters how many mags do you carry? I've been shooting limited this year, but recently got a xdm I'm going to try in productionI have 3 mags I was thinking I need another 3.

Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

6 mag pouches and ten round mags on my belt typically. Mag 5 provides the +1 round into the chamber, goes back in its pouch, and is replaced by mag 6 on most stages. If it's an unloaded start, I start with six mags on the belt, unless something else is specified.

I haven't seen any really crazy stages in a while, that would have me using a seventh mag, instead of mag 6 to load the gun....

If for some reason that was necessary, mag 6 would provide the +1 round.....

5 on the belt, one in the gun...

That is what I run, with 6 mag pouches. I've never used the 5th reload, but I have had one come out getting out of a chair and last weekend one came out going through a door. I've been playing full contact with the props the last 2 matches wearing prescription glasses. But it is easier to shoot by sight instead of braille.

carry 4 in a beltfeed and two more in a UM double, plus my start mag of 11 rounds.

Never had to go to the 6th mag on the belt, have only had to go to the 5 on a couple long field stages. It's just comforting to have double the ammo that's required for a stage. Mags aren't that heavy and a good belt helps for sure.

It may not even be ridiculously long stages, that have you wanting more mags. I remember shooting one stage, where the smart move was to fire two rounds at the start, and reload -- and IIRC, that stage had at least one other location where I fired 3-5 rounds and reloaded....

I actually have 6 pouches: 5 CR Speed and 1 little Kydex behind them all where I keep my starter mag...so 5 mags on the belt after the start. After 7 years of shooting USPSA, there have been two stages where I have gone for that 5th mag. One was because I knocked a few mags out, and the other was an all steel stage that was gutting me.

Another 5 plus 1. One club where I shoot has some extra long stages. Another does some odd arrays such that you wind up leaving a lot of partially used mags behind rather than shoot to slide lock. You could likely get by with 4+1 but why?

I recommend 5+1, although I've been getting by with 4+1. I used to have a smaller waist, so it's also an issue of real estate, but I'm working on building up the waist unfortunately. Most people know I like to play in L10 now rather than Production, and there are times when I end up using the magnet on my belt be effectively at 5+1. Since by 2013, Production shooters won't have the option to use a magnet, I'm recommending 5+1. You'll find, though that for most 32 round courses, 3+1 is sufficient, but there are some courses where 5+1 or 6+1 would allow for more efficient use of time.

5 on the belt, 1 in the gun.

Plus one for those rare wonky stages where you will go through all 6, which gets stuck in the back pocket as a backup.

I learned the hard way about not keeping one more than you'll need at Space City this year. Nothing worse than turning around to retrieve a list mag only to wonder... "Which of those 6 has 10 rounds in it?"