Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 caliber STI Trojan

bthoefer

I'm thinking of getting a Trojan in 40 caliber to start shooting single stack after GA State USPSA match next month. I will be buying new since I work part time at a local range. I am pretty new to the 1911 platform so what else do I need to get up and running for Single Stack? How well are the Trojans set up, should I plan on changing springs out of the box or just run with it? I do not currently reload, so I am planning on shooting Atlanta Arms ammo. I was recommended to stick with 40 cal mags and they would feed fine, anyone have any recommendations for mags?

Things I think I need recommendations on are

Mags

Springs (maybe)

Mag well (not sure which one)

Anything else I'm missing ?

Thanks in advance

Bryan

Edited by bthoefer

Any reason for 40? I only say this because 40 is very finicky, not only in feeding, but mags are a issue also. Since you don't reload i think 45 might be a better choice. But check out the Dawson ice magwell, ext firing pin,ext mag release. You may want a trigger job. That should do it.

Don't try and shoot IDPA with it using 9rd mags and you will be fine. I have one and it runs great with the factory mags with factory length ammo. If you do plan to shoot some IDPA and want to use 9rd mags, you will have to reload and load long for reliability or just send the gun to Vigil Tripp and have him work his magic on it, only down sideto that is you will end up with a chamber that does not fully support the case. As for mags the Metal Form work great 8 rounders, magwell-Dawson or the Tech-well. Good Luck

I agree with both of the previous posts, very finicky in .40. I primarly use mine for ESP in IDPGAY matches, I find that the 9+1 is an advantage at most of the matches I shoot.

I want to stick with 40 because of ammo cost (I'd actually prefer 9 but don't want to shoot minor), I can get 40 for only about $15/ case more than the 9 I'm shooting now. I don't plan on shooting idpa but wouldn't totally rule it out if the match here gets better.

I've had my Trojan a couple of months and like it very much. Mags are an issue; the Tripp Research "system" mags (10 mm) are the best choice. You will probably come to the conclusion to use .40 s&w ammo loaded slightly longer than standard factory .40. In fact, Atlanta Arms offers a standard longer load primarily manufactured for the Limited Division shooters. But, they feed very well in a 1911 chambered in 40. Standard single stack 40 caliber magazines don't accomodate the longer 40 loads. An exception to that claim is the Wilson 40 cal. magazine. I have a few and they work pretty good, but not as smoothly as the Tripp. These Tripp magazines are not on their website. Call them and they will explain better than I have, why they work. There is one other point. Tripp 10mm mags are either 9 round or 10 round. I have both and like both. The 10 round mags do seat a bit easier while making a hasty reload. The "system" mags have a base pad that is reduced in size, so as to "fit the box".

One more thought, Tripp,s Hybrid follower is worth getting. It has longer legs, is mostly polymer and adds to the mag's smooth feeding. It does reduce the mag's capacity.

Edited by SoonerPast

Mags are the biggest pia , long ammo in 10mm mags or 45 mags, short ammo in 40 mags , I think you can get system 10 round mags in 40 length.

Mag wells , Dawson has to use his mainspring housing and any grips , good if you like flat or curved. Tech well uses their grips and any main spring housing good if you want a wedge or some other weirdness.

Springs should be gtg you will want a 12 or 14 recoil and a 19 or so main, which should be about the way the come. Tweak the sear spring and clean up the nose of of the sear and you should have a decent feeling 3-3.5 trigger.

Mag release order a egw raised mag catch drill it and put on your button of choice , I like the arrendondo ,

Fiber front sight

I don't think a long firing pin is needed

The factory extractor is probably ok , till it fails , the switch to an Aftec

The factory finish is shit and will take lots of tlc to make it last, you've seen mine

The Wilson 40 mags have worked perfectly for me. I tried the Metalforms but they did not perform. I am shooting lead and use the same load for the SS and DS 1911. I am running a 13# spring and it works great.

As someone already mentioned, if I were not loading 40 already, I would be shooting 45 in SS.

Edited by dogtired

There is a little difference between current production Trojans and the first ones that came out. The first ones were an absolute bear to get to run. They're much better now.

For mags, I use the Chip McCormick 9-round 10mm magazines. They work great with the longer-loaded bullets that most like to use with 1911/2011s. And they're cheaper than the alternatives mentioned. Avoid Metalforms like the plague, IMHO.

A fiber optic front sight is nice, especially if you're shooting indoors under fluorescent light.

I prefer the Dawson ICE gap magwell, because I'm not stuck with a particular brand of grips. The Tech-well is nice also, but you've gotta consider weight.

Speaking of grips, if you're ordering it, you may want to consider ordering it with standard grips, as the Trojan comes from the factory with slim grips. Unless you have the hands of a 9-year old, most find them too small for their liking. :rolleyes:

Most like to put an extended mag button on the Trojan. The elevated mag catch like Ronnie mentioned will cure a lot of feed issues, if you happen to have them with your mag/ammo combination. I had to put a JP elevated catch in my early vintage model.

A preventive measure that you should take is staking the pivot pin on the adjustable rear sight. It WILL break, sooner or later. It won't cripple the gun, as long as it doesn't come all the way out. If it is staked-in on both sides, it can't move.

I'd run a Safariland 5187 holster and the 073 mag pouches. I don't like double mag pouches, because you're at the mercy of the factory on how they're spaced on the belt. Singles make it where they can't be too close together.

Edited by Braxton1

There is a little difference between current production Trojans and the first ones that came out. The first ones were an absolute bear to get to run. They're much better now.

For mags, I use the Chip McCormick 9-round 10mm magazines. They work great with the longer-loaded bullets that most like to use with 1911/2011s. And they're cheaper than the alternatives mentioned. Avoid Metalforms like the plague, IMHO.

A fiber optic front sight is nice, especially if you're shooting indoors under fluorescent light.

I prefer the Dawson ICE gap magwell, because I'm not stuck with a particular brand of grips. The Tech-well is nice also, but you've gotta consider weight.

Speaking of grips, if you're ordering it, you may want to consider ordering it with standard grips, as the Trojan comes from the factory with slim grips. Unless you have the hands of a 9-year old, most find them too small for their liking. :rolleyes:

Most like to put an extended mag button on the Trojan. The elevated mag catch like Ronnie mentioned will cure a lot of feed issues, if you happen to have them with your mag/ammo combination. I had to put a JP elevated catch in my early vintage model.

A preventive measure that you should take is staking the pivot pin on the adjustable rear sight. It WILL break, sooner or later. It won't cripple the gun, as long as it doesn't come all the way out. If it is staked-in on both sides, it can't move.

I'd run a Safariland 5187 holster and the 073 mag pouches. I don't like double mag pouches, because you're at the mercy of the factory on how they're spaced on the belt. Singles make it where they can't be too close together.

Did you have issue's with all the metalform mags or just one specific model. I have some 8rd with the split follower that run 100 percent, also have some 9rd with a polymer follower that work great with long ammo or TC bullet profile at factory length.

Get it, try it and change what you dont like. I would agree on getting the standard grips if that's an option. I really liked the S&A mag guide on my single stacks, but I just picked up a 40 trojan from the classifieds here and it's got the infinity mag well, that thing is really nice, but old style McCormick mags wont work. If you already shoot USPSA you probably know what you like as far as sights. The nice thing about a 1911 is they are extrememly customizable.

As for mags, I am still kind of a newbie, but guys seem to have luck with all of the good mags. Some guns like different mags than others, I would start with Tripp and/or Wilson, maybe a couple of each and see which ones you and/or your gun like better. If one of them doesn't work in your gun, you can sell then here at not much of a loss if they aren't abused.

I have an aluminum SVI magwell/mainspring housing on one of my Trojans, and ground a little off the bottom so a little more of the basepad sticks out, and still easily fits in both boxes, and makes weight.

It's amazing how many IDPA stages where they want your gun to start in "the box" and a little more wiggle room helps. :surprise:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a FGW Trojan that has a FO front, ambi safties, trigger job, and SVI magwell. Guns free bore was a tad tight and bobby opened it up a touch. I bought the Wilson 40 9rd mags and they will take ammo up to 1.190 OAL. Only thing I know you will want for reliability is the EGW high mag catch.

Get you a Blade Tech Black Ice or Comp Tac 1911 holster, 5 CR Speed pouches with the CR speed SS spacers and a CR Speed belt and go play.

Also there was a 9mm Trojan all set up for USPSA SS/L10 minor that I know runs and is at a good price in the classifieds but I dunno if it sold or not.

Edited by dskinsler83

I bought one this spring and replaced the fire control parts, safety, added a Dawson gap magwell, some Wilson 10 mm mags (extended pads that have to be ground down just a bit) as well as some Tripp 10 mm mags, a full length guide rod and a SV trigger with a short curved insert. Mine ran from the beginning. I use the Barnhart wide grips and it feels just like a limited gun (good for me). There is a bit more recoil than a limited gun but I still like it a lot.

I tried Metalform .40's - Crap. Then bought a few .40 McCormics and they ran fine, but now I just run regular Wilson 47D's in .45 and they run flawlessly. And I don't have to worry about bringing the wrong mags if I want to shoot the .45.

On my two .40 Trojans I added fiber optic front sites, Tech Well grips & mag wells, throated it longer (I reload), and had the feed ramp re-done (STI factory on one...local gunsmith on the other). I use one and my son runs the other. Both guns run smooth and without problems. I use Wilson 10mm mags and my son uses Tripp 10mm mags. No problems with either brand.

Edited by oddjob

Does anyone have experience with the Tripp .40 9rd mags. I would really like to find a reliable 9rd mag that runs factory OAL .40 ammo.

I have 11 of the 9 round Tripp .40 mags.

I have tried .45 mags from Wilson , McCormick Powermag and ACT.

I have tried .40 mags from Wilson , Tripp and Metalform.

I have tried factory Colt 10mm magazines.

This was in a stainless Kimber .40 I purchased used. The only issue I had with any of them was it would sometimes lock open with rounds still in the magazine. The only mag to run perfect was the Wilson .40 mag , the Tripp 9 round .40 mag was the 2nd best. All of the mags would feed factory length .40 ammo , only issue was the slide stop sometimes getting pushed up before the mag was empty.

I replaced the full length guide rod with the original spec short rod and replaced the recoil spring with a new 20 lb spring and have had no issues since with Wilson or Tripp. 40 mags. I have not tried any of the other .45/10mm mags as it is running good with the Wilson and Tripp .40 mags I have.

With the mags loaded with a full 9 rounds the Tripp will seat in the gun with the slide closed easier than the Wilson and the Wilsons need to be loaded a few times before they want to take that 9th round.