Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First DQ

MGMorden

Well, they say it happens to everyone eventually, but its got me bummed out.

Was shooting around a barrel and when I moved forward I didn't pull back far enough. Muzzle caught the barrel and slid backwards breaking 180.

Going to try to just use it as a learning experience but it certainly was embarrassing. I was one of two ros on a squad of new shooters and it feels like u set a bad example.

Yep. This is one reason why I stay away from barrels or props in general. Sometimes its inevitable, like doing a reload on a corner wall, next thing you know as you lift your eye from the mag change, your muzzle gets caught on the corner.. arrghh..

I have not DQ'd (yet). I know it's coming but I try my best to prevent it. One way to look at your DQ is that it took an outside influence to make it happen. If you have been shooting a while and it took this to DQ you then you are an inherently safe shooter. cheers.gif

Learn from it, give yourself more room next time, and jump right back on that horse and attack the next match same as always.

I have not DQ'd (yet). I know it's coming but I try my best to prevent it. One way to look at your DQ is that it took an outside influence to make it happen. If you have been shooting a while and it took this to DQ you then you are an inherently safe shooter. cheers.gif

Learn from it, give yourself more room next time, and jump right back on that horse and attack the next match same as always.

Not exactly same as always....watch out for ports, barrels, walls, etc.... I'm betting that your next couple of matches will show a bit slower times than normal......

Not exactly same as always....

Whatever!!sight.gifsight.gif

smile.gif

Well, its true.... In the back of your mind, you'll be thinking of the DQ, and it will affect your match, probably for a few matches....and if it doesn't, then I think there is a problem....if it doesn't affect you, then you haven't learned anything, and chances are that it will happen again....Hence the old addage about learning better from our mistakes than our successes...

Sort of like the saying among skydivers that

" Good judgement is what you get from experience. And experience? Well that comes from using poor judgement."

and from The Corps:

"Experience is that thing you get....... right after you needed it."

• 2 weeks later...

I think you set a great example....no one's outside the rules and it can happen to everyone if they let their attention slip. Don't work to do it again but learn from it and use it as a tool to encourage newer shooters to stay focused.

Also you can set the example for other shooters in your reaction and realization of the safety breach. How you handle the DQ in front of new shooters sets the example. You can complain or you can learn from it. You didn't have an AD past the 180 so you must have shown triger finger control.

I broke the 180 at a major match on stage 11 of 11.

If you pushing the limits of capabilities, or compete enough, you will DQ. It may be as stupid as a stage gun not being left in a safe condition or somehow ends up on the ground. Stuff happens.

As long as no one got hurt, that experience will benefit everyone.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't DQ in my first year I saw two, one where a long time shooter threw his gun on the ground in front of him. Purely by accident he lost his grip and dropped it trying to regain the grip. He handled it well... My first thought when I saw it was oh man i just know that is gonna be me some day. How easy it is to make a simple mistake

I got my first DQ today. Stage 5 of 5 for a local 3 gun match. I had a primer fail to ignite and when I racked the handle on the AR, I must have had my finger on the trigger. I had half decent times today and won a $50 gift certificate last match for Kalifornia Kompliant winner. I was glad I got to shoot all the stages. This was only my 4th or 5th 3 gun and only my third month of owning an AR. I have shot pistol competitions for 3 years. I hear that some ranges give you a DQ gift certificate to cover a ice cream shake to finish your day off with something sweet. I just finished the day off with me kicking myself in the butt. Oh well. It just goes to show that I was going as quick as posible, but also need to watch the controls and hands while doing it.

• 1 month later...

Update to my DQ with my AR: Yesterday I had an accidental discharge....................4 times......................accidental discharge of my MAGAZINE, that is. After my previouse DQ, I taught myself to index my trigger finger on the bullet button when not shooting. This has worked well, that is untill I picked up an AR without a bullet button. My indexing was actually pushing the mag release, but I didn't realize it at first.

The whole Komnifornia bullet button and asault rifle stuff is BS. If I had been trying to defend myself with a featureless, rimfire, or out of state gun (no bullet button needed) I would have been dead, due to being used to how a Komnifornia approved gun works.

I now know I addressed the problem of my accidental discharge, but I have a new problem to watch for. At least I didn't get DQed for discharging magazines :roflol:

Good point about the bullet button...I hod no idea it could give training scars that could affect a real life shooting!

Also....sorry to hear about the DQ....don't sweat it....learn, clear your mind...move on. For me, I am using new prescription glass that change my depth perception...so I must be very aware of "bumping" things, so I understand your frustration.