Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not 7mm-08 for long range game?

gmg

Has anyone set up a 7mm-08 for long range shooting? Are there any disadvantages to using 7mm-08? Looks like with a 160gr Berger it has very good BC. Reason I am asking is b/c I am thinking of doing one for hunting and on the line?

7mm-08 doesn't have enough powder capacity to really take advantage of the high BC 7mm bullets. That's not to say that it isn't excellent for fairly long distance shots, but a 6.5mm bullet is probably more well-suited to the capacity of .308/7-08 than either 7mm or .30.

With more powder capacity, 7mm is the king (see .284 win and similar).

With 162Amax 7-08 has about the same come ups and wind holds as a 260Rem shooting 140Amax at 2810, recoil is slightly more, but a long barrel is needed to match the 260Rem, show up at a precision rifle match and the winners all shoot 6mm or 6.5mm rifles, in F Open 7mm rule, but none are 7-08, 284 or 7wsm which have the case capacity to push the high BC pills.

The 7mm-08 is a great little round that far outperforms the 308 in my opinion. I used a standard 7mm-08 pushing the 162 Amaxes and it worked well. I wanted more so I Ackley'ed it. That gained me another 100 fps. I still wanted more so now I use a 284 which does what I want it to shooting the 180's. Now I'm considering the 7mm RSAUM.

As mentioned, the best way to take advantage of the 7mm-08 is with a 28-32" barrel.

The 284 and 7 RSAUM are setting lots of records as of late.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with it really. You may have to reform the brass to use it, but other than that reloading is fairly simple. The thing is, though, that there are several other calibers that are better overall. That's really why you don't see it that much.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. May go .260 or even 6.5 Creedmore.

Love my 6.5.. Excellent Hornady factory ammo at a decent price, lots of quality bullet choices to load your own as well.

2850fps and the 140 AMAX with a book load that doesnt waste the brass.

There is nothing wrong with 7mm-08 for long range. It is much better than a .308 for long range but obviously falls short of any cartridge that has more powder capacity and the ability to shoot bullets with the same or better b.c.'s. As far as competition, F/TR requires that you shoot a .308 or .223. If you are going to shoot F open then you would want something that can push the bullet faster. That being said I think it has some really big advantages in certain applications. I built a long range AR on a 7mm-08 because I can use cheap .308 brass and size it in one step. So far I haven't needed to trim it. The 7mm-08 has better barrel life than a .260 and and at really long range there isn't enough performance difference to argue about. My 7mm-08 load at my elevation stays supersonic to 1300 yards with a 20 inch gas gun.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are dead set on running a short action and want a 7 then the 7mm-08 is great. Run the 162's without worry. However if you don't mind a little bit longer bolt manipulation after a shot, then step up to a long action. Then you can pick your favorite long action 7mm. (284 win, 280 rem, 280 ackley, 7mm rem mag, 7mm stw etc) I really like the 284 win.

If you are dead set on running a short action and want a 7 then the 7mm-08 is great. Run the 162's without worry. However if you don't mind a little bit longer bolt manipulation after a shot, then step up to a long action. Then you can pick your favorite long action 7mm. (284 win, 280 rem, 280 ackley, 7mm rem mag, 7mm stw etc) I really like the 284 win.

My action i am building off of is a Rem 700 SA so i will have to stay in the SA realm. I am not going to be able to get shots past 600yds, maybe 800 if i'm lucky so I not looking for a 1000 or beyond gun but I think it will go to a 1000 if I ever get the chance to shoot at that range.

My action i am building off of is a Rem 700 SA so i will have to stay in the SA realm. I am not going to be able to get shots past 600yds, maybe 800 if i'm lucky so I not looking for a 1000 or beyond gun but I think it will go to a 1000 if I ever get the chance to shoot at that range.

Then you should have no issues with the 7-08. The 162amax is a great target bullet and a good hunting bullet. I haven't seen the amax be too sensitive to seating depth either.

I like the idea of .260 or even .243 with heavy bullets, but at 600 yards, any of the calibers mentioned in this thread will work just fine. Even a .223 with heavy bullets can do well at 600.

Edited by twodownzero

I shoot a 260 with the 140 amax at 2800FPS

My buddy shoots a 7-08 with the 162 amax around 2700

Mine shoots a tenth or two of a mil flatter out to 1,000. Beyond that the 162's start to pull ahead.

This is real world shooting next to each other observations.

The 7-08 hits harder but I've dropped a few pigs in there tracks with the 140's.

Thanks RRFlyer. I think you just helped me to make my decision. Going with the 7mm-08. After looking at all aspects of it including reloading for it or off the shelf ammo availability, I'm going to try it. Always liked the round anyway.

Thanks RRFlyer. I think you just helped me to make my decision. Going with the 7mm-08. After looking at all aspects of it including reloading for it or off the shelf ammo availability, I'm going to try it. Always liked the round anyway.

No reason not to do it. On the plus side you can even load the 120's for junior shooters and the 7-08 becomes a pussycat.

I hadn't ever really looked at it before he had his built. If I had I would have gone with it for brass availability alone.

Easy 308 brass conversion and cheap winchester brass available.

Plus the 162amax's seem to be cheaper and more available than the 140's.

Just a FYI...he pushed his over 2800FPS with the 162's with no pressure signs....but backed it back down for barrel life.

Edited by rrflyer