Versa Max Tactical extended end cap testing

MickB

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was able to take my end cap off by hand. It was on there fairly tight, though.

I suggest the following if you have problems;

1) Remove the barrel clamp.

2) Unscrew the tube from the barrel nut first. Note that the tube is not tight against the nut. It will probably be a quarter to half turn from being tight on the nut. This is important. You should put it back this way as it allows the tube to move when the clamp is being tightened, ie. the tube moves relative to the barrel and not the other way around. This will minimize or eliminate POI shift of slugs.

3) You can now get a firm grasp on the mag tube in one hand, while you now have plenty of room to wrap your thumb and index finger over the end cap to twist it off.

4) Reassemble. You can choose to put the new cap on, or put everything back together and put the new cap on last.

Mick

I used a strap wrench to get mine off, use two if that's what it takes!!!

My pleasure! Did you get the extended Pro Bore chokes from CDNN to give it the matching silver look? :)

Mick

Got my + 2 from Mick and i installed already, it ran flawless and the gun looks so much better... Thanks Mick :cheers:

My pleasure! Did you get the extended Pro Bore chokes from CDNN to give it the matching silver look? :)

Mick

Got my + 2 from Mick and i installed already, it ran flawless and the gun looks so much better... Thanks Mick :cheers:

Yes i did... my versamax looks and shoots GREAT thanks to you :cheers:

Edited by ogiebb

Great! The cap looks like it matches the Briley choke tube finish.

I have the manufacturer looking at a dull mil-spec type anodizing to better match the tube finish.

Mick

Thanks for the tips on the strap wrench. I put some muscle into it and the cap came right off.

Here's a pic of a black +2 with a Briley extended choke.

Lester

Need help, please.

I have a slight problem with the +2. The fit on the tenth round is so tight with Remington Gun Club Target Load shotshells (2.35 inches) that the tension from the brass onto the feed latch is preventing the feed latch from disengaging when the feed latch release is pushed. The shotshell just stays in place and cannot move into position onto the carrier. I also tested Winchester AA shells and they are okay (2.29 inches).

The extension I have measures 4.5 inches. Is this the original length or the extended version? If this is the shorter, original +2, can I just call Galco to get the longer replacement?

Thanks,

Lester

You have the original +2. The longer version is 5.15 inches long. These are in process - I will follow up on where they are at.

The issue with lengthening the cap further causes harmonic vibrations on the CNC machine which the manufacturer should have resolved by now. Basically they won't ship unless the quality is there.

I would call the manufacturer and let him know that you're needing the longer +2 due to the shells that you are using. He should take care of you.

Out of curiosity, with the factory end cap on, can you get 8 shells in easy, or do you have the same problem?

Mick

Need help, please.

I have a slight problem with the +2. The fit on the tenth round is so tight with Remington Gun Club Target Load shotshells (2.35 inches) that the tension from the brass onto the feed latch is preventing the feed latch from disengaging when the feed latch release is pushed. The shotshell just stays in place and cannot move into position onto the carrier. I also tested Winchester AA shells and they are okay (2.29 inches).

The extension I have measures 4.5 inches. Is this the original length or the extended version? If this is the shorter, original +2, can I just call Galco to get the longer replacement?

Thanks,

Lester

With the factory cap, eight shells easy.

Out of curiosity, with the factory end cap on, can you get 8 shells in easy, or do you have the same problem?

Mick

Need help, please.

Thanks,

Lester

Looks like the harmonic vibration issue on the longer +2 caps has been solved. Manufacturer is just waiting on a new bit to arrive for the CNC machine. If all goes well, production versions of the lengthened +2 caps could be ready by end of next week.

Lester, looks like you're being taken care of. :)

Mick

Edited by MickB

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that have the red end caps and are finding your speeds are increasing, this is the cap you need to completely blitz the competition! :)

There is also a black version with flames, but speed increase is not guaranteed.

Mick

post-15603-0-35770600-1348691954_thumb.j

Edited by MickB

• 2 weeks later...

The first prototype +2 end cap made it's TV appearance a few days ago on 3 Gun Nation :)

So far, all of them are running strong.

Also, something else for those who want something other than flames....

Mick

post-15603-0-54623200-1349740857_thumb.j

Edited by MickB

I ran my prototype extra long +2 this past weekend at the Fallen Brethren match and it worked great! I would've been at a HUGE disadvantage with the standard 8 round tube on the VersaMax tactical model. The extra room provided by the slightly longer new model is great! With the original +2 cap, seating the 10th shell was a bit too tight for me.

Thanks again!

Big thanks to Glenn and GALCO Manufacturing for the +2 extensions. I used the v2.0 that is slightly longer today in a 3-gun and it worked flawlessly with Winchester AA, Remington Gun Club Target Loads and some Winchester slugs mixed in.

Here's a vid showing two reloads to a full 10+1 (the gun started with 8+1).

Lester

Lester, are you using the standard spring, or a longer spring with your +2?

I used the +2 v2.0 in a match over the weekend as well, but used a longer than stock spring just to be sure as I didn't have time to do any resting with the standard spring before hand. My results were also flawless.

Mick

Big thanks to Glenn and GALCO Manufacturing for the +2 extensions. I used the v2.0 that is slightly longer today in a 3-gun and it worked flawlessly with Winchester AA, Remington Gun Club Target Loads and some Winchester slugs mixed in.

Lester

I used the standard spring that came with the Versa Max. So far, so good. The carbon residue on the top of the extension takes some effort to remove, especially if you want to be careful and avoid damaging the flames. :)

Lester, are you using the standard spring, or a longer spring with your +2?

I used the +2 v2.0 in a match over the weekend as well, but used a longer than stock spring just to be sure as I didn't have time to do any resting with the standard spring before hand. My results were also flawless.

Mick

Lester

• 2 weeks later...

Spank Ya,

In addition to the carbon staining, I am getting a lot of leading on my +2 extension that embeds itself in the almost micrscopic machining rings of the extension (which is black). I have tried several things unsucessfully so far to get the "stains" out. I don't want to use anything too agressive that might damage the aluminum. Wondering if you have had this problem (seems to be the worse from shooting slugs)and if so, have you found anything that works well?? It's only a cosmetic problem, the extension works perfectly, but if I can keep it looking good to, that would be a bonus! Thanks

I scrape the blast residue off with a rag and dig in my fingernail to help scrape it off. No ill effects at all. If you damage it, ask for a replacement!

:)

Mick

Spank Ya,

In addition to the carbon staining, I am getting a lot of leading on my +2 extension that embeds itself in the almost micrscopic machining rings of the extension (which is black). I have tried several things unsucessfully so far to get the "stains" out. I don't want to use anything too agressive that might damage the aluminum. Wondering if you have had this problem (seems to be the worse from shooting slugs)and if so, have you found anything that works well?? It's only a cosmetic problem, the extension works perfectly, but if I can keep it looking good to, that would be a bonus! Thanks