Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max Tactical extended end cap testing

MickB

Since picking up a Versa Max Tactical about 3 weeks ago, I noted that the mag tube was about a half inch shy of holding a 9th shell. Due to the thread pattern on the end of the Tactical mag tube being different (larger) than standard extensions, there was no available extended end cap that would fit.

So, I had built a +1 and a +2 extended end cap. Prototypes were finished last week and I was able to test them today.

NOTE - For this thread, discussion will be about technical aspects only!

For the testing, I used the standard mag spring and long follower that comes with the gun. I had on standby a longer Nordic spring cut to length for the 10rd tube on my 26" Versa Max.

The +1 end cap easily holds 9 shells. This was designed to have a quarter inch stand off from the end of the extended choke tube to provide some muzzle protection. With standard flush fit choke tube, it will extend 1 inch past the end of the muzzle.

The +2 end cap is longer, being a total of 13.5 inches combined length when on the Tactical mag tube. It easily holds 10 shells.

I am happy to say that the gun ran flawlessly with both end caps in place using the standard spring. This is not to say that a longer spring might eventually be needed - I just haven't come to that point yet.

Myself and 2 other shooters put a few boxes of shells through as fast as we could.

I also do not know yet how well the +2 will hold up to barrel dumps due to it's length. Obviously the weak point will be the end cap/mag tube thread interface. I will test that in upcoming 3-gun matches.

For now, so far so good!

Mick

Edited by MickB

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rather than a cap, you could have machined an extended tube, with a male thread on the end to take the existing cap. I made an extened cap out of delrin for the Nordic extension on my M2, it holds one more, and the last round is no where near bottoming out. I'm going to make the extension tube for the Versa Max I just picked up for my wife.

Dan, would it not be easier to make the smaller part (end cap) rather than a longer tube? :)

I would have concerns about the long term durability and rigidity of a delrin mag tube that thin as well as how it would hold up in the AZ sun. In addition to that, couldn't the metallic rims of the shells score the inside of the tube and create debris, leading to a jam? That won't happen with metal. Also, how well is delrin going to hold up to muzzle blast?

Mick

Rather than a cap, you could have machined an extended tube, with a male thread on the end to take the existing cap. I made an extened cap out of delrin for the Nordic extension on my M2, it holds one more, and the last round is no where near bottoming out. I'm going to make the extension tube for the Versa Max I just picked up for my wife.

Edited by MickB

Another observation from today's testing.

With the +1 end cap, there was zero muzzle blast residue on the end cap. This was due to the extended choke tube that was in place.

With the +2 end cap, there was muzzle blast residue that started just past where the +1 cap ended.

Another random observation. With 9 rounds in the tube, the shells and follower stay completely inside the tube. This means only the spring is contained inside the +1 end cap.

With 10 shells, the 10th shell pokes out of the tube about three quarters of an inch. That means part of the 10th shell, the follower and spring are contained inside the +2 end cap when fully loaded.

Mick

Edited by MickB

Mick,

The delrin is working fine, but, we don't get a lot of long gun shooting up here. And, the local matches will usually limit the shotgun to 8+1. Like you noted, the extra shell doesn't really go into the tube, and the delrin is pretty slippery. Some carbon gets on the tube from being past the muzzle slightly, but, it comes off easily enough, and doesn't show any signs of gas cutting.

Can't comment about the sun affecting it, we don't get it like you do in Phoenix.

Doesn't DPMS sell a Clear mag extension?

I have never seen the clear DPMS tube, but I think it is telling that no other manufacturer has gone this route. Carbon fibre might be a solution, but at what cost compared to aluminium?

Here in Phoenix, all of the matches I have been to have the "8+1" start rule, after that no restriction. I have only been to a single match in Tucson that had the "8rd tube only" rule.

The concept behind the +1 and +2 end caps was to be able to easily change capacity when shooting so called Outlaw matches, while retaining ability to use the regular end cap when restriced to 8 shell capacity.

Much easier (and cost effective) to change an end cap than a whole tube assembly and messing with the clamp.

Mick

Mick,

The delrin is working fine, but, we don't get a lot of long gun shooting up here. And, the local matches will usually limit the shotgun to 8+1. Like you noted, the extra shell doesn't really go into the tube, and the delrin is pretty slippery. Some carbon gets on the tube from being past the muzzle slightly, but, it comes off easily enough, and doesn't show any signs of gas cutting.

Can't comment about the sun affecting it, we don't get it like you do in Phoenix.

Doesn't DPMS sell a Clear mag extension?

I've put 500 rounds of bird shot, 50 buck and 50 slugs over the +2 extention. No problems to report, no malfuctions using a Nordic spring. The cool part is that the cap does not work its way loose over extended shooting!

I think it is a winner. Thanks Mick!

Keith Garcia

Many thanks to Keith and Kurt for testing out the prototype end caps!

I will be doing further testing this weekend at the upcoming Rio Salado 3 gun match.

The end caps not working loose was probably due to a last minute modification to the internal design to allow the end cap to seat more efficiently against the tube. :)

Mick

I've put 500 rounds of bird shot, 50 buck and 50 slugs over the +2 extention. No problems to report, no malfuctions using a Nordic spring. The cool part is that the cap does not work its way loose over extended shooting!

I think it is a winner. Thanks Mick!

Keith Garcia

Shot a match today using the +2 end cap with factory spring. Reliability was 100%. Ammo was a mix of bird shot and slugs. There was no movement of the end cap whatsoever.

Also no problems with a barrel dump of the shotgun.

Next step is pics of black anodized end caps and looks like red ones! Maybe the red one will help me shoot faster, LOL!

:)

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Update - cell phone pic of the anodized versions.

Next step is to make sure there is no effect of anodization on thread pattern and ability to lock onto the end of the mag tube!

Adding anodizing means changing thread pattern dimensions slightly to allow for the growth in the threads.

The +2 design has also been improved internally by changing the bit used to bore the hole so that it is flat at the end like the +1.

Mick

post-15603-0-44743100-1346105819_thumb.j

Edited by MickB