Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What affect does humidity have while reloading.

Red Ryder

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the -yes, smokeless powder is hygroscopic, no it's not hygroscopic- discussions on various boards and have no idea if it is or isn't....all I can tell you is this >> I live in Florida and reload in my garage if I waited until it was less then 50% RH I would never be able to reload.

Also, I have a few powders from when I lived in California, 20 years ago (I do store powders in air conditioned storage since I moved to Florida). If I load one of the old powders using the same data I used when I loaded them in the dry conditions of California, I get very similar chrono results. That is my experience, anyway.

What I've found is when reloading in humid conditions is that my powder measure dispenses about .1-.2 grains less. The reason being moisture is absorbed by the powder and fluffs up or swells ever so slight, increasing the volume. And when using a powder measure that dispenseds by a set volume, means you actually get less weight. And in extremely dry conditions you end up with more weight per volume. The amount it changes is dependant upon the type of powder being used. Flake type problaby has the most change versus a tubular rifle powder.

Edited by Postal Bob

I thought I might hear from the "Florida" crowd! My fear is that I will have duds from the increased moisture. I have reloaded over 10,000 rounds and have never had a failure to fire or any other bullet problems. Any truth to this anxiety?

Arguably, there may be some effect from RH if you are loading some serious precision rifle rounds, but for us mere mortals loading the standard rifle/pistol/shotgun fodder I haven't experienced it.

I believe you can safely put your anxiety over humidity affecting your loads to rest. :cheers:

Unless the cases are dripping with condensation, you won't have any duds due to high humidity. It's more of a problem of you being outright uncomfortable and sweaty. Remember, you want to be alert when reloading, not tired, sweaty, and uncomfortable.

Humidity? Couldn't say... However, High temps in my garage during a Phoenix summer (110-130*F) were causing my TiteGroup to stick to my Lee Pro-Autodisk and give me .1-.4 gr difference in charge. I bought a Lee 3 legged loading stand, put my press on it, moved inside for the summer, and now I reload in the comfort of AC and my wife LIKES it!

I can reload inside in comfort, my wife can "spend time with me" even if I'm being quiet while reloading (instead of "hiding in the garage", and my loads are more consistent than ever!

• 5 years later...
1 minute ago, rowdyb said:

Sorry for the necro thread, but I'm having horrible issues with powder clumping in my hopper after even just as little as 4 days of no usage. Is the only option emptying it every time?

Might try a room dehumidifier. But emptying the hopper is cheaper.

rent one from a rental equipment/tool store  and try it.  Just remember that you still need to empty the hopper so you know it started " fresh" for the test. You can use a dryer sheet to run through the hopper to reduce static on the plastic before filling the hopper back up.  If the test works, buy one.

Thank you. The wall gauge I have pretty much shows it is never below 50% humidity in my garage ever, year round. And in the summer is often closer to 70%. Evidently that's too humid for how I do things.

That's life in the south for sure.  Good luck and keep me posted on the outcome.  I am considering building a room to load in, in my garage but I will add another HVAC duct and 6 x 12 vent with an exterior door to keep that area close to the same temp as the house.

Didn't realize it was in a garage, year round, in the south. :)

still though it might work. I have insulated garage doors and often when working on projects I will leave door from house to garage open and let AC flow out there. It stays remarkably cool and dry even in very humid hot weather.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

It stays remarkably cool and dry even in very humid hot weather.

Trust me, Sarge, you do NOT get Very Humid Hot weather in OHIO -

visit me in the Orlando area anytime in June, July, August or September

and I'll show you HHH    :( 

But, doesn't seem to affect my powder too much   :) 

Well, typically no. Two weeks ago we had a week of high temps and a Dewpoint of 79 degrees. Weather guy said we were experiencing typical Mississippi weather. Generally though we only average 85 degrees right now but can get pretty high humidity at times.

Yeah, no Florida in summer for me my friend. That's just nuts! 

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

no Florida in summer for me. That's just nuts! 

Yeah, and no Ohio in Winter - that's just plain nuts, and dangerous if you drive to work ....    

We'd always get a few weeks of HHH in NY and NJ (where I lived until 3 years ago)

every summer, but FL we get 18 - 20 weeks HHH in a row, without a break    :ph34r: