Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you pay $35 for a local match?

38SuperDub

I think it really depends on supply and demand. Around here, you can shoot at least one good match every weekend for $20 or less. If there were very few options, there would be a lot more reasons to pay $35 for a match. As it is, no way. Especially knowing that the range owner was pocketing all the money, without supplying any props, supplies or support.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the input so far - from my understanding - the range owner will do nothing but let us use the land - we still set up - tear down - buy our own lunch - etc etc etc - hopefully threads like this can convince him his $20 is out of line

If the Range Owner is willing to wash my truck while I shoot, he can have the fee. Otherwise, $35 is not going to come from me :D

• 5 months later...

I would have to say that shooting at Norco, you do get pretty good stages. $35.00 and you don't have to drive to Palm Springs, Pala, or other points South of larger L.A. area, when you consider time in traffic?

But, Pala is 20 right? and PSGC is 20, 10 if you are a member, and if you call up ahead of time and put on a stage yourself, then my friend you are shooting for free! (And getting the ultimate walk through by "helping" others with their stage set up!)

So it all depends on if you are expected to set up or not, and how close it is.

I drive a minimum of 4 hours to "local" matches here and all are around 15-20 bucks. My bad fortune to live that far away, an extra 15 bucks wouldn't deter me much but I'd be more willing to drive to the other matches as opposed to that one. Unless of course that 35 dollar match was first class everytime, then I'd be in.

seems a new range owner wants to have someone run a USPSA match on his range - BUT he is wanting to charge $20 for his range fee

Now that it appears the match will not happen, I wonder if the range owner ever thinks how he could have asked for $10 per shooter instead of $20. With a turnout of 40 shooters per month, that would have been $400 for just allowing use of the space. Now he gets nothing.

Bill

• 3 months later...

$35 would not fly here. There are several clubs in the section and we coordinate match weekends. Roy Neal at Racoon Hunters puts on at least 7, sometimes 8 high round count stages every month for $25 ($20 for members). Come in the day before and help out, match fee is lowered. RO your squad after helping setup the match and you shoot for free.

It's not like this is an astronomically high priced sport. If you want to look for those, try drag racing, specifically Top Fuel. Every pass down the track will cost $900 to $2,000 depending on what you break.

It's up to each shooter to decide if they are getting their monies worth. We vote with our feet.

BC

I would expect fairly nice facility. Awnings, tables, places to sit, running water...

Does the range have all that?

ours does and it's still only $15 to shoot. Of course we are a private club with a few thousand members so we don't have to make profit like many clubs do.

I would expect fairly nice facility. Awnings, tables, places to sit, running water...

Does the range have all that?

ours does and it's still only $15 to shoot. Of course we are a private club with a few thousand members so we don't have to make profit like many clubs do.

Your club is also hosting the state match again (it was a good match last year). And it sounds like you guys are putting some money back into the matches (new props). All at $15 dollars a head plus whatever the club can make on the state match. From the video I have seen the monthlys down there are are as good as any around.

$35 for a local seems a bit high. But if I made more money and had less time. I would shoot all factory ammo and pave my personal range with once fired super comp brass.

Edited by leas327

45 miles round trip is $12 for gas, 150 rounds is (currently) what, $30? $40? Dinner after the match $25, Match fee $15-25 depending upon membership status. So on a day that is going to cost $87, would I pay $ 100? Maybe, but it better be a really good match and maybe I don't have to build, tear down or RO. Oh, and there was the thing about the personal massage girls.

• 3 months later...

It seem like every time I go to Desert Sportsman its a $35.00 match fee plus a $5.00 non member fee. But now they don't shoot Saturday matches very often. Desert Sportsman is in Las Vegas. Sin city shooter is now offering a new range match for USPSA and it's $40.00. It's making it more reasonable to drive th St George Utah for a match.

I would pay $35.00 for a 5 stage local match if the stages were Level II quality, the stages were setup when the shooters arrived so the match started on time and last but not least shooters were not required to tear down and put up props.

Edited to add. Most of our local clubs charge an annual membership fee of $25.00. For that you pay $15.00 per match. Non members pay $20.00. Shooters who setup are free. All shooters are required to help tear down and put props away. In my area you can shoot every weekend and have a choice of several USPSA matches. In addition to USPSA there is also Steel Challenge, ICORE, IDPA and US Carbine Assoc. matches. You can shoot both days every weekend. There is also a 3 Gun Match every month witha 5th Saturday.

Edited by Jaxshooter

• 2 weeks later...

The range owner needs to take into consideration that he will get 20-60+ shooters at $10 (if he discounts his rate) that he very likely wouldn't be getting otherwise versus NOT getting 20-60+ shooters at $20/ea.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread and I don't mean to hijack but how about $35 to shoot at a legit INDOOR run and gun range. Say someone was to purchase a former Costco/SAMs club/lowes/home depot and bring in dirt to basically build your typical outdoor range INSIDE. $35 bucks...... but when it's 104 degrees in July and 100% humidity outside its a shady 70 inside the range. $35 bucks but In December when it's 30 degrees outside its a toasty 70 in the range. No rain, no snow, no burning sun, is that worth it?

Edited by zsavage81