Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What "not to care about" list

benos

For maximum performance, in any endeavor, it is essential to learn to not care about some things.

I said "to learn," because our natural tendency is often to care about things that hinder performance.

I'll start; please add to the list.

1. Don't care about what people may or may not be thinking about you.

2. Don't care about how you feel.

3. Especially, don't care about how slow or fast it feels like you might be shooting.

4. Don't wish that things were different from how they are.

be

relating this to work

I see guys wasting a lot of time careing about things that dont matter.

but it cant be a hard rule, because the next situation might require that type of precision.

I think most things are over thought and that beign a bigger time waster.

if this post does not make sense im sorry I know what I mean just having a hard time expressing it.

maybe im over thinking it. :)

relating this to work

I see guys wasting a lot of time careing about things that dont matter.

but it cant be a hard rule, because the next situation might require that type of precision.

I think most things are over thought and that beign a bigger time waster.

if this post does not make sense im sorry I know what I mean just having a hard time expressing it.

maybe im over thinking it. :)

Caring vs Awareness ?

Perhaps they should not be caring about things that don't matter, but they should be aware of them

Don't care...about caring or not caring.

A list of "Don'ts" are rarely as successful as a list of "Do's". If not taken with care, a list of negatives (Don't do this, Don't think of that, etc.) is like allowing a bunch of weeds into your garden all at once and can be overwhelming for someone who hasn't learned to deal with their thoughts. I would suggest learning to tend to your garden as the weeds pop up, one by one. Think of thoughts of caring like clouds passing in the sky. You can't always stop them from coming, but you CAN notice them, let them pass, and not give them power. Thoughts are not your mind.

Edited by Kali

Slight reversal. DO CARE about the shot you are taking. Does anything else matter at that moment?

Only THIS shot matters.

I shoot smallbore silhouette, which is another mental game. If you're thinking about how good or bad you've done up to this point, or how many targets you still have to go, or how many you need to hit to beat that other guy, I can almost guarantee that you're about to miss THIS shot. The previous shots are gone. Nothing you can do about them. The future shots are not a concern. Only this shot matters. Make this one shot count. We shoot 40 rounds. You almost have to think of it as 40 1-shot matches.

So bringing it back, don't care about previous shots or upcoming shots.

Something in Brian's book about the present tense relates to this, I think.

Slight reversal. DO CARE about the shot you are taking. Does anything else matter at that moment?

Only THIS shot matters.

I shoot smallbore silhouette, which is another mental game. If you're thinking about how good or bad you've done up to this point, or how many targets you still have to go, or how many you need to hit to beat that other guy, I can almost guarantee that you're about to miss THIS shot. The previous shots are gone. Nothing you can do about them. The future shots are not a concern. Only this shot matters. Make this one shot count. We shoot 40 rounds. You almost have to think of it as 40 1-shot matches.

So bringing it back, don't care about previous shots or upcoming shots.

Something in Brian's book about the present tense relates to this, I think.

+1

Don't care about the last shot, if it was a perfect A or in the middle of a no shoot it won't help you make the shot you are taking now.

What not to care about:

Pain.

Shooting a stage of USPSA is the best pain relief I know. From the time the buzzer goes off till I reholster, I don't care about pain in my knee or whatever is ailing me.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't care about your wife who nailed you on the way out the door for going shooting AGAIN!!!, your a_-hole kid, the dog that keeps pissing in your bedroom, and the looming foreclosure on your house. You shoot to get away from all that.

This is hands down the hardest thing I have to do every match. I just haven't mastered the art of emptying my mind and just shooting to the best of my current ability. I will eventually, but it just seems my desire to shoot better then I did before, to win, to excel always gets in the way of my actually doing those things. I once read a list that a samuari had written about the things young samuari concentrate on that they shouldn't. Like trying to impress their opponent with technical prowess. Has anyone else read this or have a link to it?

Don't care about your wife who nailed you on the way out the door for going shooting AGAIN!!!, your a_-hole kid, the dog that keeps pissing in your bedroom, and the looming foreclosure on your house. You shoot to get away from all that.

Lol, dude.....and amen

Lol, dude.....and amen

Man, you must've had a spy camera at my house before the divorce.